My rant for today................................ The restrictions that have been placed at Avebury for the summer solstice.......... I remember being able to go down there, pitch a tent, have a campfire, and enjoy the celebration at sunrise without a policeman in sight, and no hassle whatsoever. And that was only a few years ago!

Now there is no camping, overly-restriced parking, and a no-go zone for a 2 mile radius with an excessive police presence. The use of public transport has been urged by local authorities, yet they refuse to provide a dedicated service saying that the normal service is adequate. Last bus from Swindon 19.05, last bus from Devizes, 20.00, nothing from Chippenham, and no buses back til the following day!!! Its only once a year folks......... is it to much to ask for a bit of forward planning from the powers-that-be?!!! Oh yeah, I forgot, it is!!

I used to take my son there for the solstice, which was fine when he could just crash out in the tent as the need arose and the car was parked nearby to get home in time for school/work ........ now I find that despite living 20 mins from a sacred site it is impractical for me to practice my beliefs there on one of the most important festivals of the year. You dont see restrictions put on church access on christmas day! Oh, and it also put paid to the usual gathering at the Red Lion tonight!!! Grrrrrrr :-/ >