Notices

Thread: Guitars and Rock n Roll

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Re: Guitars and Rock n Roll 
    Diamond Member
    I used to play the trumpet in the Swindon Young Musicians, and the cornet in the Criklade marching band, then I couldnt be arsed so I gave up.

I had a electric gutiar for a month until the rents told me to sell it or it will be gone one night when I get home. >

Still have my trumpet in the loft.....

2. Re: Guitars and Rock n Roll 
    Platinum Member
    Thought I'd revive this thread as its' gone a bit quiet! Anyone know of any decent Jam sessions outside Swindon? I love to play with other musicians and next to bikes it's a great way to de-stress! I've looked on"Whats on" but it does'nt mention Jam sessions. Maybe some of the biker musicians here can meet up at a jam sometime!

3. Re: Guitars and Rock n Roll 
    They tried to teach me the Cornet when I was at school (many years ago now) but the only cornets I like now have ice cream in them LOL

But I do have quite a few Stones cd's including a few early releases now remastered[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

4. Re: Guitars and Rock n Roll 
    Platinum Member
    Glad you mentioned the Stones, "Real talent dont fade!!!" Can't say the same about some of the drivel around at the moment.Being a guitarist and keyboard player for over 30 years I know my subject well and love the up and coming "guitar" bands getting back to the roots of R&R. The Rolling Stones had a raw energy which survives to this day. I have a wide taste for anything that makes sense and offers emotion. Lately I've been listening to Guitarists Steve Via and Joe Satriani, but also like Dire Straits and Bon Jovi.
    Funnily enough I played Country music for several years as a pro musician here and abroad.It payed good money and I learnt a lot,above all else enjoying music for what it does for you! Anyway...enough babbling on by me, over to the board!
    later........

5. Re: Guitars and Rock n Roll 
    Platinum Member
    Hey I play guitar and sing. Jamming session at pilot in Bowerhill Melksham on Mondays. Also love Rock n Roll and learnt to jive last year. Great rock n roll nights in Melksham also with live bands

6. Re: Guitars and Rock n Roll 
    Platinum Member
    bubblelittleme, Did we not meet at Sallys a fortnight ago?You ride a 250? Anyway,what musics' in on the Jam then? May pop down one Monday to check it out!

7. Re: Guitars and Rock n Roll 
    Platinum Member
    yep you have right person. irish, rock whatever u play then rest follow. take it in turns. but some weeks no one turns up other weeks may be 16!

8. Re: Guitars and Rock n Roll 
    Platinum Member
    Ok, will look in this Monday! 7.30pm onwards??? Thanks for that info! I'll bring the guitar and amp!

9. Re: Guitars and Rock n Roll 
    I went to see Satirani in Bristol a few weeks back, supported by Paul Gilbert. Both amazing guitarists! My fav guitarist is Gary Moore though - has the speed and dexterity but also very blues based with a good ear for melody rather than just all-out thrashing across the fretboard
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

10. Re: Guitars and Rock n Roll 
    Platinum Member
    Dabz, I agree on Satriani.Some of his stuff I find plain boring although very technical whereas other stuff is pure genius!It's a very subjective thing anyway and open to debate.I only play his melodic stuff and in that resppect Blues is more "soulful".I do like Gary moore as a result but again not all his stuff. After 30 odd years in this business you 'tend to get around to playing most musicians stuff anyway! I've got a DVD with Joe Satriani alongside Steve Via and guest Eric Johnson. Although Joe and Steve were obviously the more accomplished in a technical sense I prefered Erics' bluesy and melodic sound overall, so there you go mate!