Notices

Thread: O2 Broadband

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: O2 Broadband 
    Platinum Member
    mine is my comp its , rubbish and slow

2. Re: O2 Broadband 
    I was on BT ,and was paying their top price for B/B at 10meg but was only getting 2meg,,

So i went to Sky for a extra £5 on my sky bill and i am getting upto 14meg,,well happy ,and when you ring its to sky in scotland not pakistan,,unlike BT >

p.s dont beleve the hype on Virgin,unless you have fiber optics,insted of copper cable u will not get 50meg+ .

There are 2 new posts since your last visit. (You have read 3 of these posts.)

3. Re: O2 Broadband 
    Platinum Member
    how do you get involved in sky jack930 that sounds really good

4. Re: O2 Broadband 
    There are 2 new posts since your last visit. (You have read 3 of these posts.)

5. Re: O2 Broadband 
    ONFIRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    [quote author=mikesouthby link=1239205520/0#6 date=1239304612]Remember it's not always who you are with that's the issue. There are SO many variables on what will or won't give you a good reliable connection that without knowing more details than we (as consumers) have access to, it's always going to a be a gamble... is the copper good? whats your local contention? distance from exchange? internal wiring? interferance? equipment blah blah blah the list goes on... The moral of the story is that most home users will find most ISPs service 'acceptable'.
    Mines crap but then again so am I - dunnoo if its the network, pc or I'm just impatient >[/quote]

UHF ;D ;D ;D

6. Re: O2 Broadband 
    Platinum Member
    I use sky for £5 a month 40gb download limit per month and it is limited to 2mb downstream. It’s not the fastest service I’ve used but it’s only a fiver (I don’t file share so can’t comment on this)

7. Re: O2 Broadband 
    Diamond Member
    I cant get the SKY £5 deal in my area, when I do a check into all the really good ones I cant get them , just like Virgin Cable cant get that either, so I am stuck with standard ADSL.
    Now I know it is not the caberling in the house, as I had our works cable guy come out and put new cable from the BT box to the wall socket and also instaled a NTE box (BT Test box), I have got a new filter and cables and changed routers, so I know it is the line or the exchange that is the problem.
    Now this also gives me a headache as if I go with anybody else they are going to use the BT line so even if I go with bob the builder I am still going to have this issue.... > >

8. Re: O2 Broadband 
    Quote Originally Posted by igbell
    I cant get the SKY £5 deal in my area, when I do a check into all the really good ones I cant get them , just like Virgin Cable cant get that either, so I am stuck with standard ADSL.
    Now I know it is not the caberling in the house, as I had our works cable guy come out and put new cable from the BT box to the wall socket and also instaled a NTE box (BT Test box), I have got a new filter and cables and changed routers, so I know it is the line or the exchange that is the problem.
    Now this also gives me a headache as if I go with anybody else they are going to use the BT line so even if I go with bob the builder I am still going to have this issue.... > >
    This is why I am paying £17 odd a month with o2 and not the nice lower price of 9 or whatever it is.

Its called LLU (Local Loop Unbundling) and the reason you get the faster net with AOL, Sky, O2 etc when you get the faster and lower prices, basically it means that the company who is offering it has gone to your phone exchange and installed their own equipment into it. Since you can not get these cheap offers your exchange has not been upgraded by the companies you are asking which is why you have to use your BT line. The reason its more with your BT line is because BT charge people like sky to use it and BTs kit in the exchange, hence the higher cost.

If you want to see if your exchange has been sheduled to be upgraded go here and type in where you live.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php

Enter your phone number or post code, then it will show your exchange, it will bring up a list of services down the right hand side and you need to press "LLU XDSL" and that will show the companies in the UK who are installing their own kit, and if they have any work for you area in the pipline or not.

Until they do it, there is no cheap quicker broadband coming your way I am afraid.

9. Re: O2 Broadband 
    Diamond Member
    Thanx for that Davel, here is what it came back with
    AOL is available in your area
    O2 / Be Unlimited is not yet available in your area
    Bulldog (C&W) is available in your area
    TalkTalk (CPW) is available in your area at up to 8Mbps
    Sky Broadband / Easynet is not yet available in your area
    Edge Telecom is not yet available in your area
    Entanet is not yet available in your area
    Lumison is not yet available in your area
    Newnet is not yet available in your area
    Node4 is not yet available in your area
    Pipex is not yet available in your area
    Smallworld Media is not yet available in your area
    Tiscali is not yet available in your area
    Tiscali TV is not yet available in your area
    Orange is available in your area
    WB Internet is not yet available in your area
    Zen is not yet available in your area

So I can stay with BT or go with O2 or be done with it at the mo.....Grrrr

10. Re: O2 Broadband 
    I was with BT and sacked them off for O2, so far other than their network been slightly slow as I mentioned ina previous post, have been really happy with them. Decent Customer service, speeds are now awesome, and unlike BT they dont throttle the service during peak times so if you are a gamer or download large files they are much better a choice than BT.

That and it was £24 a month with BT and £17 a month with o2 so I am better off in the pocket too!

Hope this helps.