Notices

Thread: A big apology

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. A big apology 
    Banned
    I wud like to say sorry to all those who thought i was blaming them for me getting left behind on rides,
    but after a chat tonight, it was me trying to run before walking wen taking a pillion, i still need to get used to the handling n power of the new bike, so i can keep up when carrying a pillion,
    so if anyone has any ideas on how i can build up my confidence on over taking, bends etc.

For those of u that dont know, ive had my confidence knocked about bends after i lost it on 1 at about 50mph and put myself in the bottom of a farmers field 5 days after getting the new bike.

Thanks
    Al [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

2. Re: A big apology 
    If you're not confident on the bike solo then probably not a good idea to take a pillion just yet. Get used to the bike first spend a bit of time getting used to it and getting the confidence back before worrying about how to fire it round bends 2 up

On our rides we use a marker system so changes in direction are marked for the following riders, the reason we do this is because it allows the bikes to space out on the roads rather than riding as one large group, which is much safer, it also stops the problem of the slower riders riding outside their comfort zones trying to keep up, as no one gets left behind and everyone can ride their own ride.

A ride out is a fantasic way to boost your confidence on a bike, as you will be in the saddle for a day, the problem with short rides is it can take you 15 - 30 mins to relax into the ride, after that time you confidence increases much quicker, so if you only do short journeys you may find you struggle to get confidence quickly.

A ride out isn't a race, it's about getting there as safely as possible, along some nice roads, with good friends and a good day out.
    Don't get confused between my personality and my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are...

3. Re: A big apology 
    took alot of courage to do that Alan......... hopefully the 'road ahead' will be a lot easier... good luck and Im sure you will gain all the confidence you need to make riding a good experience. Dont rush it + dont expect to be perfect from the start. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

4. Re: A big apology 
    To carry a pillion, you need to know the bike you are riding backwards.

I'd do plenty of miles on your own, learning the bike (commuting is a good way to do this), then take a pillion on the bike, get used to the different handaling, increased stopping differences etc. Finally go pillion in a massed ride.

This way you can build confidence at your own pace and in your own time.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

5. Re: A big apology 
    takes a lot of guts to post that..credit to you mate!

I was in the same situation - as soon as I passed my test I was carrying pillion EVERYWHERE - in fact for the first year, riding without a pillion was a special event.

As others have said, group riding (doesn't have to be big groups, just 1 or 2 people) helps as long as the other guys on the ride know you're not that most confident rider. If Viper's Angel doesn't want to miss out then there are usually other people who'd be happy to take her as a pillion with you riding solo!

Are you around on Sunday? The weston ride will be very sedate, deliberately for the 125s and newer riders, so could be a great opportunity?
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

6. Re: A big apology 
    Platinum Member
    Any time you want to head out, just send me a pm - i'm only round the corner and i'm just learning myself. I head out as much as possible and the only way to gain the confidence and know the machine is doing the miles......and i love doing loads of them!!!! I'm feeling great on my bike now after some serious initial worries as to if i bought the right one. Can't stop smiling buddy.
    I'm only round the corner

7. Re: A big apology 
    Platinum Member
    Mate I feel for you
    I have had this feeling many a time and as others have said it takes time.
    You have recently passed your test, Now the learning really starts and you don't stop learning, Believe me I have had a fair few "brown pant" moment's and thought to myself sod this biking lark. :-/

You will get there but as I say it does take time, and to be confident enough to ride with pillion takes some doing specially if its someone close to you [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Take care mate.

I have sent you a PM mate [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

8. Re: A big apology 
    Top man for clearing the air! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    come with us on Sunday, it will be a nice sedate bimble, perfect for gaining confidence!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'

9. Re: A big apology 
    Roadcraft, Roadcraft and errr Roadcraft. Keep it smooth and clean, Your confidence will build then so will you speed. If you find yourself having "moments" then take it back a notch and start building back upto it again.

Leave the wife at home or get a more experianced friend to carry her. Also her kit should be as good if not better than yours. No-one rides with me in jeans or without gloves. I couldn't live with myself if anything happened to them.

Corners are where it's at. Anyone can be fast in a straight line.
    Read "A twist of the wrist" by keith code. It breaks down every aspect of riding so you can understand why a bike behaves the way it does and why your brain's natural instincts are your worst enemy.

See you at the Harp! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

10. Re: A big apology 
    Platinum Member
    I new you were a nice bloke deep down ;D and hate it when someone is down but you've learned a valuable lesson, your human. we all need to start at the start. anyways chin up your a G.B.B for gods sake [smiley=thumbsup.gif]