Notices

Thread: Sleeping in my van?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Sleeping in my van? 
    Diamond Member
    I am attending the WB Xmas party next month and want to consume a few beers (Liam informs me that the coffee machine is out of action on that night. lol). Obviously I will be unable to drive, so I was considering sleeping in my van if I cannot arrange a lift home. Does anyone know how I stand with regards to the law?

2. Re: Sleeping in my van? 
    Illegal. Had 3 guys call my work, all with DR10s who got done when parked up on the side of the road - sleeping off there drink.

Though it would take one hell of a picky cop to do you. Might cause some suspicion though.

3. Re: Sleeping in my van? 
    You do hear of Plod being funny over this, however, I think a lot depends upon the officer, your attitude to them an dprobably the van. If you are in a camper van then surely thats less suspicious than a transit.

Of course if you havent got the ignition key that would help tremendously

4. Re: Sleeping in my van? 
    Don't do it. A mate of mine got done for exactly that a few years ago.

He had no intention of driving, just wanted to kip in the back of this car. The Police caught him as he was unlocking his car. I forget the terminology of his conviction.

I suppose one way out if you find someone sober (good luck) to unlock the van for you which shows you have no intention to drive.
    Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

5. Re: Sleeping in my van? 
    Quote Originally Posted by ninja_richie
    Don't do it. A mate of mine got done for exactly that a few years ago.

He had no intention of driving, just wanted to kip in the back of this car. The Police caught him as he was unlocking his car. I forget the terminology of his conviction.

I suppose one way out if you find someone sober (good luck) to unlock the van for you which shows you have no intention to drive.
    Drunk while incharge of a vehicle. Bit of a vague conviction but a conviction none-the-less. I sleep in my van when I go surfing and often have a few beers. Technically I'm breaking the law.

What if you get someone to lock you in and leave the keys somewhere? If you don't have the keys could you still be done?

6. Re: Sleeping in my van? 
    Redken1 why sleep in the van it is a hotel im sure basil can sort something out for you then you can drink as much as you wont and Fall over as many times as you like

PS I have a sofa if you get stuck if that’s ok for you

[smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]
    If it has a red line use it ....

7. Re: Sleeping in my van? 
    Surely this would only a be a problem if you were parked on the road and not on private property?.

8. Re: Sleeping in my van? 
    I think if you leave the keys on one of the wheels you might get away with it because the keys won't be on your person. The other thing to consider is could you still be over the limit in the morning?

I'm coming to the Christmas meal (have booked an early escape from work!) I'll be driving so if you are on the way to T'bridge from Swindon I'll pick you up and drop you off if you like.
    It's Lilac... not pink!

9. Re: Sleeping in my van? 
    Platinum Member
    a friend of my daughters was arrested for sleeping in his car after a night out on the drink,he slept in his car as he had lost his front door key and didnt want to wake the house up,i do believe he was let off in the end as he had not been driving the car it was parked on the public highway though I would have thought if you were parked on private land and left your keys with the landlord there would not be a problem [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

10. Re: Sleeping in my van? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cobs
    Redken1 why sleep in the van it is a hotel im sure basil can sort something out for you then you can drink as much as you wont and Fall over as many times as you like

PS I have a sofa if you get stuck if that’s ok for you

[smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]
    Think I have arranged a lift home, It was just a thought as a last resort, but from the comments sounds a bit risky any way. Like you say I could book a room in the hotel subject to vacancies. Thanks for your offer Colin you are a top star mate. Thanks all