Notices

Thread: Am I the only one?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
  1. Re: Am I the only one? 
    Platinum Member
    One for the Accountants perhaps?
    If there are thousands of students, owing collectively millions of pounds to the government, do these show as assets on the books? Nice way to massage the economy figures if it does.

2. Re: Am I the only one? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch9128
    http://www.leftfootforward.org/images/2010/11/Nick-Clegg-tuition-fees-pledge.jpg
    Call in the fraud squad, anybody still wondering why the students are angry?
    Yeah, but if that's what the public wanted, then that's what they should have voted. Nick Clegg isn't in charge, nor did they get a majority vote (despite that, I still voted for him!).

The party with the majority of votes (regardless of how our messed up voting system works) is now in charge and thus making the decisions. The Coalition idea is grreat, and hopefully it is bringing about some different ways of doing things for the Torys, but ultimately they will still be responsible for the decisions. Perhaps those students should have got off their arses and voted for Nick Clegg. If every protesting student bothered to vote Lib Dem, we wouldn't be having this discussion, and they would not be protesting.

It's easy to cry about it afterwards, but they had the opportunity to bring about change. That's why we have the vote.

3. Re: Am I the only one? 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed_Fly
    [quote author=Mitch9128 link=1290677602/60#68 date=1292358277]http://www.leftfootforward.org/images/2010/11/Nick-Clegg-tuition-fees-pledge.jpg
    Call in the fraud squad, anybody still wondering why the students are angry?
    Yeah, but if that's what the public wanted, then that's what they should have voted. Nick Clegg isn't in charge, nor did they get a majority vote (despite that, I still voted for him!).

The party with the majority of votes (regardless of how our messed up voting system works) is now in charge and thus making the decisions. The Coalition idea is grreat, and hopefully it is bringing about some different ways of doing things for the Torys, but ultimately they will still be responsible for the decisions. Perhaps those students should have got off their arses and voted for Nick Clegg. If every protesting student bothered to vote Lib Dem, we wouldn't be having this discussion, and they would not be protesting.

Apart from the students, who else would have voted for those muppets? The fact is, Clegg is in power and is not doing as he promised he would, he lied.
    It's easy to cry about it afterwards, but they had the opportunity to bring about change. That's why we have the vote.[/quote]

4. Re: Am I the only one? 
    Diamond Member
    Clegg most definately isn't! lol It's all a show. He has no more real power than you or I do. In fact we have more, because we can vote in and out who ever we want!

5. Re: Am I the only one? 
    Diamond Member
    With respect SF, perhaps your take on the election result is too simplistic. If every eligible student in the country voted for the Lib-Dems, the party would not have secured enough votes for a working majority in the house of Commons. I live in a Tory/Lib Dem marginal constituency and I suspect like thousands of other voters in such seats, I voted tactically to keep the Tories out. I disagree with your assertion that the Lib-Dems have no power. Despite the fact that they secured the least number of votes of the three main parties, the Lib-Dems hold the balance of power. The Tories could not have formed a government without them. The fact is that the Lib-Dems lied and should be held to account for breaking their pre-election promise.

6. Re: Am I the only one? 
    Diamond Member
    How do you know they did? How do you know they didn't vote to stop the tuition fee increase, but the tories said no? It's all speculation really

7. Re: Am I the only one? 
    Diamond Member
    27 Lib-Dem MPs, including all 17 cabinet ministers voted in favour of the 200 per cent rise in Tuition fees. Not speculation, but a fact that the motion would not have been carried without their support.

8. Re: Am I the only one? 
    Platinum Member
    Reading this morning why they are doing this. They are selling the tuition fees loans to the banks at a reduced rate, now. So for 36k of debt, the governemt gets 26k now, and the banks get the full 36k over time (possibly) in lieu of interest. Interesting that the banks are gambling with money again, although i doubt it will **** them up, unlike a 25 year old with 50k of debt hanging round his neck! >