Notices

Thread: Am I the only one?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Am I the only one? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed_Fly
    But its not proper debt. Thats the thing. You pay it back in tiny increments once you earn enough to do so. And i dont know why everyone keeps saying its for the rich only - student loans are available to everyone. The days of only the rich being able to go are long gone
    With respect - loan, fees it's all gotta be paid back by the recipient. The days of only the rich kids going to University are on there way back once these fees are introduced.

2. Re: Am I the only one? 
    just a little point i wish to make on the way things are going........I am more upset about the way people who cannot go to uni, college etc etc are being treated at the moment...... the people I work with are having funding cut for the basic care they have to pay for in care homes...... mobility allowances are being cut for people who are permanantly in wheelchairs who have to pay god knows how much for a taxi to town to buy their shopping etc etc etc..... i even heard of one person being refused funding for a special chair to use a toilet cos 'he can go on his bed' and save that local authority some money!!!!!!! WTF !! Because he cant stick up for himself, is this right???? No it bloody well isnt.......Students are demonstrating cos they will have to pay more in fees..... what about basic human dignity for a person who cant fight for themselves... who protests for them????????
    Sorry but I know where my sympathies lie > >

3. Re: Am I the only one? 
    Diamond Member
    Thats true. But if you never earn more than 21k, you never have to pay it...

4. Re: Am I the only one? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tina
    just a little point i wish to make on the way things are going........I am more upset about the way people who cannot go to uni, college etc etc are being treated at the moment...... the people I work with are having funding cut for the basic care they have to pay for in care homes...... mobility allowances are being cut for people who are permanantly in wheelchairs who have to pay god knows how much for a taxi to town to buy their shopping etc etc etc..... i even heard of one person being refused funding for a special chair to use a toilet cos 'he can go on his bed' and save that local authority some money!!!!!!! WTF !! Because he cant stick up for himself, is this right???? No it bloody well isnt.......Students are demonstrating cos they will have to pay more in fees..... what about basic human dignity for a person who cant fight for themselves... who protests for them????????
    Sorry but I know where my sympathies lie > >
    Tina - heartbreaking. Apologies in advance, but I can't dodge being too political on this scandalous situation, because I really believe that this government intends to introduce more and more measures to cut a wide range of public services. All designed to shift the burden away from the public purse and on to the voluntary sector. I think Cameron calls it, "The Big Society"

5. Re: Am I the only one? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed_Fly
    Thats true. But if you never earn more than 21k, you never have to pay it...
    You'd be pretty pissed off if you did all that hard work at uni and never earned more than 21k wouldn't you!?
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

6. Re: Am I the only one? 
    Diamond Member
    Lots of people dont tho

7. Re: Am I the only one? 
    Controversial I know, but I can't help but feel (after seeing some of the student crettins on TV) that they are at UNI because they really can't face the thought of actually accepting responsibility for their lives and get a paying job... Ooooh it might involve getting up and stuff [smiley=happy.gif]

8. Re: Am I the only one? 
    £21k is not a lot. It was mentioned earlier in the thread that yes we need degrees for doctors, teachers etc.

Doctors are in a different league on pay but if a teachers average salary on full scale points is £30K but they have £27,000 in debt plus massive mortguages to think about. Where is the incentive for anyone to go into say teaching (I use this only as an example I am sure there are other not so well jobs requiring degrees). People would soon complain when their son/daughter is taught by an Easter European because there wernt enough teachers in the UK. Those considering going into teaching may as well go stack shelves or something.

9. Re: Am I the only one? 
    I wouldn't have the job that I do now were it not for having a degree, and neither would a number of WBs. Unfortunately employers can be choosy nowadays, given the higher levels of unemployment and they'll insist of graduate-calibre candidates when the jobs don't really merit that level of applicant, simply because they can. There are so many people doing great jobs and earning decent money without a University education, but they've generally done it the hard way.
    Question for Nokesy - although your degree wasn't especially relevant to your current job, was it a requirement to get the job in the first place? :-?
    It's all very well for Cameron and his band of toffs to propose fees of up to £9k/annum - he and most of his cronies will pay more than that PER TERM to send their kids to some posh public school > > >
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

10. Re: Am I the only one? 
    This company thinks very highly of degrees - never mind what they are in. Here we are in landlocked Wiltshire (well landlocked apart from the Kennet & Avon Canal) and one of the engineers has a degree in Oceanography!

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”