Notices

Thread: Am I the only one?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Am I the only one? 
    I don't have a problem with the protests. It is (or was) our right to protest against things we find unjust.

I really hate the way it regularly turns into a riot. People keep banging on about "A small minority who have nothing to do with students, spoiling it" but thats just bollox. Earlier in the week arrests were made for exteme acts of violence and they were all bloody students.

Hurling a fire extinguisher off of a roof into a crowd isn't too smart. Good luck getting a job now jackass!
    Maybe they could come up with a degree on How not to kill inocent people.

2. Re: Am I the only one? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    Question for Nokesy - although your degree wasn't especially relevant to your current job, was it a requirement to get the job in the first place?
    No, not a requirement of first job I had with Charity and still isn't a requirement at current level although some Management and Leadership qualification (or willingness to gain one) is. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Although I do think having a degree always demonstrates to future employers the ability to apply yourself [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

3. Re: Am I the only one? 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJo
    Controversial I know, but I can't help but feel (after seeing some of the student crettins on TV) that they are at UNI because they really can't face the thought of actually accepting responsibility for their lives and get a paying job... Ooooh it might involve getting up and stuff [smiley=happy.gif]
    or maybe they have faced to to their responsibilities and decided they do need to get an education to even stand a chance of an employer looking at their C.V. as employer can pick and choose who they want now. Yes there are a few students who do courses as there nothing better to do, but I bet the vast majority are there to better themselves and worry about passing exams in order to get a job. Its those who decide to leave school with no intention of ever getting a job you should be having a go at.

And anyway why is Uni education to be singled out. Why not go the whole hog and go back to the 1800 and send the children back to the workhouses, all those GCSE and A level studens sitting aroud in classrooms when they could be doing a days job down the mine....

>

4. Re: Am I the only one? 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZZR600Dude
    [quote author=ChrisJo link=1290677602/15#16 date=1290771930]Controversial I know, but I can't help but feel (after seeing some of the student crettins on TV) that they are at UNI because they really can't face the thought of actually accepting responsibility for their lives and get a paying job... Ooooh it might involve getting up and stuff [smiley=happy.gif]
    or maybe they have faced to to their responsibilities and decided they do need to get an education to even stand a chance of an employer looking at their C.V. as employer can pick and choose who they want now. Yes there are a few students who do courses as there nothing better to do, but I bet the vast majority are there to better themselves and worry about passing exams in order to get a job. Its those who decide to leave school with no intention of ever getting a job you should be having a go at.

And anyway why is Uni education to be singled out. Why not go the whole hog and go back to the 1800 and send the children back to the workhouses, all those GCSE and A level studens sitting aroud in classrooms when they could be doing a days job down the mine....

>[/quote]

Oh dear.....

5. Re: Am I the only one? 
    Diamond Member
    I am not singling out any previous contributor in particular, but if we are to engage in a sensible debate on this issue perhaps we should avoid making sweeping generalizations. It is wrong to tar all students with the same brush just because of the actions of a small number of mindless idiots, just as it is for some in the anti-biking lobby to condemn all bikers for the actions of a few.

6. Re: Am I the only one? 
    Quote Originally Posted by monday21
    I am not singling out any previous contributor in particular, but if we are to engage in a sensible debate on this issue perhaps we should avoid making sweeping generalizations. It is wrong to tar all students with the same brush just because of the actions of a small number of mindless idiots, just as it is for some in the anti-biking lobby to condemn all bikers for the actions of a few.
    well said [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

7. Re: Am I the only one? 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZZR600Dude
    [quote author=monday21 link=1290677602/15#24 date=1290791388]I am not singling out any previous contributor in particular, but if we are to engage in a sensible debate on this issue perhaps we should avoid making sweeping generalizations. It is wrong to tar all students with the same brush just because of the actions of a small number of mindless idiots, just as it is for some in the anti-biking lobby to condemn all bikers for the actions of a few.
    well said [smiley=thumbsup.gif][/quote]

+1 student who isnt taking part in the debates and is getting highly annoyed with them

8. Re: Am I the only one? 
    Diamond Member
    Well, as a mum I have to say that if my son wants to go to uni, he will go to uni. With my money and my blessing too.

9. Re: Am I the only one? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Morticia
    Well, as a mum I have to say that if my son wants to go to uni, he will go to uni. With my money and my blessing too.
    The problem is that all parents want the best for their offspring, but the reality is that many mums and dads simlpy don't have enough income to provide financial help for their offspring who wish to attend university.

10. Re: Am I the only one? 
    Diamond Member
    Where there's a will...