Notices

Thread: Cyclists on the news

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Re: Cyclists on the news 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    I agree they are annoying, but with half the driving population seemingly blind to cycles, they seem to have become essential. The fundemental issue is that people need to look! Cycles are around and entitled to be on the road, they must obey the rules of the road and other users should be patient and remember that one person only generates about 0.5 bhp, a lot less than the average car!!!
    Agreed - I pass lots of cycle on my way into work, and while most of them follow the rules of the road (those get my respect and I will give them the space and time they need) I see so many who take no notice of the rules of the road - running red lights, flying across pedestrian crossings, hopping on and off pavements, pulling out in traffic without even a backward glance...those are the ones who need to change their attitudes.

On the subject of flashy lights, I've got to say they are easier to spot at a distance! There's one guy who has two static and one flashing light on the back of his bike - I can see him from about half a mile away! ;D
    100 Japanese horses now unmuzzled! Derestricted hooliganism has commenced...

2. Re: Cyclists on the news 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noisy_lightning
    [quote author=BMWGraeme link=1296549657/16#16 date=1296667693][quote author=Mitch9128 link=1296549657/15#15 date=1296653098]What about the twat in the BMW with HID lights...
    Sorry[/quote]

I actually spat some of my coffee out then when I read that! Thanks for nearly ruining my keyboard![/quote]

Sorry

Actually I have a spare keyboard if you need one - us twats are nothing if not generous ;D

3. Re: Cyclists on the news 
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
    [quote author=noisy_lightning link=1296549657/19#19 date=1296734217][quote author=BMWGraeme link=1296549657/16#16 date=1296667693][quote author=Mitch9128 link=1296549657/15#15 date=1296653098]What about the twat in the BMW with HID lights...
    Sorry[/quote]

I actually spat some of my coffee out then when I read that! Thanks for nearly ruining my keyboard![/quote]

Sorry

Actually I have a spare keyboard if you need one - us twats are nothing if not generous ;D[/quote]

;D ;D ;D
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

4. Re: Cyclists on the news 
    Diamond Member
    The fact is that there are significant numbers of road users travelling on/in all modes of transport that drive/ride irresponsibly.

If the internet was in existence sometime in the beginning of the last century similar negative comments (to some of those on this thread) directed towards motorists and bikers would probably have been posted on a horse or cycling forum.

I wish the gift that God had give us to see ourselves as others see us

5. Re: Cyclists on the news 
    I'd love to be able to cycle to camp from Westbury in the mornings but it would take me nearly 2 hours to get here and the other issue is other road users. Like has been said before some people really treat cyclists as a pain in the bum obstacle rather than another road user.

We know ourselves how badly car and truck drivers can treat us on two wheels with an engine in , they don't realise how bloody intimidating a tonne or more of metal cage sitting on your back wheel and then grazing past you can be.

Some cyclists are total nobbers but then again so are some other road users and it tends to be the impatiant b@st@rds in their steel cages who need to be somewhere that fraction of a minute sooner that cause the dramas by taking stupid risks with other peoples lives.

To be honest we have both experienced the same kind of treatment by car drivers when out running on country lanes, we're lit up with hi-viz vests, flashing lights and cyalume sticks and yet they still pass with a gnats width between you and their wing mirrors! cunch of bunts!

6. Re: Cyclists on the news 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeTriple
    I'd love to be able to cycle to camp from Westbury in the mornings but it would take me nearly 2 hours to get here and the other issue is other road users. Like has been said before some people really treat cyclists as a pain in the bum obstacle rather than another road user.

We know ourselves how badly car and truck drivers can treat us on two wheels with an engine in , they don't realise how bloody intimidating a tonne or more of metal cage sitting on your back wheel and then grazing past you can be.

Some cyclists are total nobbers but then again so are some other road users and it tends to be the impatiant b@st@rds in their steel cages who need to be somewhere that fraction of a minute sooner that cause the dramas by taking stupid risks with other peoples lives.

To be honest we have both experienced the same kind of treatment by car drivers when out running on country lanes, we're lit up with hi-viz vests, flashing lights and cyalume sticks and yet they still pass with a gnats width between you and their wing mirrors! cunch of bunts!
    well said! Too many knob heads out there for sure! Several years ago while cycling along,a van turned left in front of me buckling the front wheel when he hit me!This is a very common occurance. Like I said before,most car drivers are oblivious to cyclists and treat us with contempt.They need to cycle for a week to realise how vulnerable one is and maybe show respect next time they see one.

7. Re: Cyclists on the news 
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman
    [quote author=BladeTriple link=1296549657/24#24 date=1296807632]I'd love to be able to cycle to camp from Westbury in the mornings but it would take me nearly 2 hours to get here and the other issue is other road users. Like has been said before some people really treat cyclists as a pain in the bum obstacle rather than another road user.

well said! Too many knob heads out there for sure! Several years ago while cycling along,a van turned left in front of me buckling the front wheel when he hit me!This is a very common occurance. Like I said before,most car drivers are oblivious to cyclists and treat us with contempt.They need to cycle for a week to realise how vulnerable one is and maybe show respect next time they see one. [/quote]

a good proportion of the population couldn't cycle for more than five minuites, let alone a week...
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

8. Re: Cyclists on the news 
    Quote Originally Posted by monday21
    Some of the the anti-cyclist sentiments being expressed in this thread makes me feel a bit uneasy.

I believe, as a country we should take a leaf out of the Flemish and Dutch book and encourage cycling as the benefits would be three-fold. A reduction in road congestion, a reduction in our carbon footprint and perhaps, a reduction in obesity.

In the meantime, spare a thought for the old chap with defective hearing riding on his cycle without a care in the world. When out of nowhere, a boy-racer passes him at close quarters, at high speed on his race exhaust clad sports bike.
    the other thing about Flanders and Netherlands is they are billiard-table flat. Riding across bristol is fine, but for a lard-arse like me is a breathe-killer. from Duinkirke to Den Haag, is almost hill-free.