Notices

Thread: Cyclists on the news

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: Cyclists on the news 
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinb
    Cyclists wearing head cams to protect themselves from other road users. I bet they don't film themselves cutting up cars, motorcylces and buses, jumping red lights and generally anoying other 'paying' road users.
    If they want to use the roads they should pay tax and have to have insurance like the rest of us. All they appear to do is slow down the already crawling traffic
    Is that what they call a sweeping statement? Surely you're not serious.

2. Re: Cyclists on the news 
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    [quote author=Kevinb link=1296549657/0#0 date=1296549657]Cyclists wearing head cams to protect themselves from other road users. I bet they don't film themselves cutting up cars, motorcylces and buses, jumping red lights and generally anoying other 'paying' road users.
    If they want to use the roads they should pay tax and have to have insurance like the rest of us. All they appear to do is slow down the already crawling traffic
    Is that what they call a sweeping statement? Surely you're not serious. [/quote]

Not really serious. Just getting it off my chest and starting a little debate

3. Re: Cyclists on the news 
    Platinum Member
    BTW there is no such thing as road tax, it's vehicle excise duty and is paid into the big central tax pot. Roads are funded either by local councils from council tax and governmant grant, or in the case of trunk roads from central government.

4. Re: Cyclists on the news 
    Diamond Member
    Some of the the anti-cyclist sentiments being expressed in this thread makes me feel a bit uneasy.

I believe, as a country we should take a leaf out of the Flemish and Dutch book and encourage cycling as the benefits would be three-fold. A reduction in road congestion, a reduction in our carbon footprint and perhaps, a reduction in obesity.

In the meantime, spare a thought for the old chap with defective hearing riding on his cycle without a care in the world. When out of nowhere, a boy-racer passes him at close quarters, at high speed on his race exhaust clad sports bike.

5. Re: Cyclists on the news 
    Quote Originally Posted by monday21
    Some of the the anti-cyclist sentiments being expressed in this thread makes me feel a bit uneasy.

I believe, as a country we should take a leaf out of the Flemish and Dutch book and encourage cycling as the benefits would be three-fold. A reduction in road congestion, a reduction in our carbon footprint and perhaps, a reduction in obesity.

In the meantime, spare a thought for the old chap with defective hearing riding on his cycle without a care in the world. When out of nowhere, a boy-racer passes him at close quarters, at high speed on his race exhaust clad sports bike.
    you are right about the Dutch they spend money on their road and cycle way system. The roads are in excellent condition and cycle ways run along side keeping cyclists out of the way of other road users. What about the old chap with defective hearing driving along when a cyclist overtakes him at night with those very annoying led 'head' lights.

6. Re: Cyclists on the news 
    Platinum Member
    What about the twat in the BMW with HID lights...

7. Re: Cyclists on the news 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch9128
    What about the twat in the BMW with HID lights...
    Sorry

8. Re: Cyclists on the news 
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinb
    [quote author=monday21 link=1296549657/13#13 date=1296594016]Some of the the anti-cyclist sentiments being expressed in this thread makes me feel a bit uneasy.

you are right about the Dutch they spend money on their road and cycle way system. The roads are in excellent condition and cycle ways run along side keeping cyclists out of the way of other road users. What about the old chap with defective hearing driving along when a cyclist overtakes him at night with those very annoying led 'head' lights.[/quote]

I agree they are annoying, but with half the driving population seemingly blind to cycles, they seem to have become essential. The fundemental issue is that people need to look! Cycles are around and entitled to be on the road, they must obey the rules of the road and other users should be patient and remember that one person only generates about 0.5 bhp, a lot less than the average car!!!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

9. Re: Cyclists on the news 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by monday21

Well said! ..and for the others, you need to ride a cycle to experience the agressiveness around you while cycling.I can never fathom out what happens to the ordinary person who turns into a demon with horns when they get into their vehicle!

10. Re: Cyclists on the news 
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
    [quote author=Mitch9128 link=1296549657/15#15 date=1296653098]What about the twat in the BMW with HID lights...
    Sorry[/quote]

I actually spat some of my coffee out then when I read that! Thanks for nearly ruining my keyboard!