Notices

Thread: Cyclists on the news

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Cyclists on the news 
    Cyclists wearing head cams to protect themselves from other road users. I bet they don't film themselves cutting up cars, motorcylces and buses, jumping red lights and generally anoying other 'paying' road users.
    If they want to use the roads they should pay tax and have to have insurance like the rest of us. All they appear to do is slow down the already crawling traffic

2. Re: Cyclists on the news 
    Platinum Member
    What about horse riders? Pedestrians? They also slow down traffic, should they be licensed/taxed and insured also?

3. Re: Cyclists on the news 
    Don't see why cycles should pay road tax. As Mitch says, what next? Tax for walking down the pavment?

Saw the artical in question, problem is, as with motorcycles, a few to**ers screw it up for the rest. Most cyclists are, as with motorcyclists, law abiding, but get frustrated by some motorists who think they own the road and try and push you off of it.

Not sure if these head cams are admissable as evidence of a crime, but only a test case will prove this once and for all.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

4. Re: Cyclists on the news 
    Platinum Member
    Jon, how many motorcyclists have been 'busted' on evidence of on board cameras? No test cases needed there. However, as a 'sometimes' cyclist, i can see why they do these henious crimes, and where they are coming from. The roads are awful, car drivers value other road users lives less than a dint on their gleaming bodywork. Only the other week a cyclist was killed on Rowden hill, he came a cropper on the narrow pavement, and went head on into an oncoming car. Sure he shouldn't have been on the pavement, but he probably felt safer there, than cars encroaching on his space on the road. They don't have this problem in some European countries, as bikes are given proper cycle lanes, not a lane in the glass/debris infested gutter. Have some sympathy for our 2 wheeled brethren.

5. Re: Cyclists on the news 
    Platinum Member
    For those that didn't see the tv this a.m. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12334486

6. Re: Cyclists on the news 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch9128
    Jon, how many motorcyclists have been 'busted' on evidence of on board cameras? No test cases needed there. However, as a 'sometimes' cyclist, i can see why they do these henious crimes, and where they are coming from. The roads are awful, car drivers value other road users lives less than a dint on their gleaming bodywork. Only the other week a cyclist was killed on Rowden hill, he came a cropper on the narrow pavement, and went head on into an oncoming car. Sure he shouldn't have been on the pavement, but he probably felt safer there, than cars encroaching on his space on the road. They don't have this problem in some European countries, as bikes are given proper cycle lanes, not a lane in the glass/debris infested gutter. Have some sympathy for our 2 wheeled brethren.
    It's not the cop cameras, it's private head cams that I'm talking about. Not heard of a conviction based on the evidence of one of those.

The above aside I agree. You cannot ride on the pavement without being nicked, the side of the road is pot hole central, and covered in sharp puncture inducting objects and if you dare venture out into the lane, you risk death from the next car!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

7. Re: Cyclists on the news 
    Thing is they have every right to be on the road and they also have to obey the rules..one being 'do not cycle on pavements'..and other users must give them consideration and enough space.

Personally I find 'em a pain especially when their blooming clubs are out clogging the roads en masse :-*
    I need amusement in my sad life and it looks, very much, like you fit this requirement admirably..............begin the amusement!!!!!

8. Re: Cyclists on the news 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch9128
    What about horse riders? Pedestrians? They also slow down traffic, should they be licensed/taxed and insured also?
    Pedestrians shouldn't be on the road unless crossing.
    May be horse riders should, but I'm not sticking the rear number plate on ;D
    I'm not sure if horse riders have to have insurance (liability) If a horse decides to bolt it could cause a lot of damage to pedestrians, motorcyclists, cars and themselves.

9. Re: Cyclists on the news 
    Platinum Member
    Fact is, Cyclists and Horse riders have a 'right' to be on the road, drivers are there by license, not 'right'. Too many people forget or just don't know this, a little patience is all that's required in your mad rush to get to work, and remember a dint in your wing=equals broken bones for them.

10. Re: Cyclists on the news 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    [quote author=Mitch9128 link=1296549657/3#3 date=1296557533]Jon, how many motorcyclists have been 'busted' on evidence of on board cameras? No test cases needed there. However, as a 'sometimes' cyclist, i can see why they do these henious crimes, and where they are coming from. The roads are awful, car drivers value other road users lives less than a dint on their gleaming bodywork. Only the other week a cyclist was killed on Rowden hill, he came a cropper on the narrow pavement, and went head on into an oncoming car. Sure he shouldn't have been on the pavement, but he probably felt safer there, than cars encroaching on his space on the road. They don't have this problem in some European countries, as bikes are given proper cycle lanes, not a lane in the glass/debris infested gutter. Have some sympathy for our 2 wheeled brethren.
    It's not the cop cameras, it's private head cams that I'm talking about. Not heard of a conviction based on the evidence of one of those.[/quote]

There have been a couple of cases I have read about with motorbikes esp that the rider was convicted for dangerous driving after posting video on youtube. Cant find any links or details but I remember two at least.