Notices

Thread: Young Driver Insurance

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: Young Driver Insurance 
    Platinum Member
    Maybe worth talking to his bike insurer? Do they do cars too? Also as Ducatista says wait and see what happens today! I have a feeling though that they will just load Female drivers premiums to bring them in line with Males! >

2. Re: Young Driver Insurance 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista
    5) Also wait for the European decision today on whether insurers are allowed to discriminate against men.
    according to the bbc artical, this will mean a 10% drop for men and a 30% rise for women.....
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

3. Re: Young Driver Insurance 
    Platinum Member
    probably no help to you now,but i put my daughter onto our secound car policy whilst learning to drive, i was assured by the insurance company she could then take the policy on as the main driver after passing her test having earned no claims bonus. that was 2years ago she is taking her test next month it does mean i will have to start a new policy myself : it is crazy what they charge young drivers

4. Re: Young Driver Insurance 
    Looks as though insurers don't really want young drivers. Bit short sighted especially as the young drivers eventually become mature drivers who can pick and choose their insurer

5. Re: Young Driver Insurance 
    It's a bizarre ruling, the insurers base their premiums on perceived risk and girls and women don't generally drive like twats. It'd be interesting to see the stats for the numerous multiple fatalities that sadly occur amongst cars full of teenagers, just to see how many of these vehicles were driven by girls - very few I'd expect.

Given the choice of accepting a lift from a teenager, would you feel safer getting in the car with a girl or some pimply eejit with spiky hair who thinks he's the next Lewis Hamilton in his Saxo? Bit of a no-brainer really, and it's sad to see yet another nail in the coffin of common sense... >
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

6. Re: Young Driver Insurance 
    It applies to all insurances / risk profiling, so it will benefit women more than men over the course of respective life-times because women live longer. Annuities / life insurance and other linked payments dwarf the vehicle insurance market.

7. Re: Young Driver Insurance 
    Platinum Member
    I agree with you chappers.
    There has been a lot of focus on car insurance, because the apparent unfairness aspect for young people is headline grabbing.
    However the pension aspect is massively bigger in comparison.

Car insurance is just a bill.
    Your annuity is your income for a significant part of your life.
    Now men will have to subsidise longer living women.

Furthermore under current legislation if you have a pension then an annuity is mandatory.
    I would argue that a car is more of an option than a pension (which is your income).

I think the media is portraying what sells newspapers and what gets attention, but pensions is definitely the bigger issue here and in health and pensions women are more expensive and it's the men who will lose out.

I personally think it's crazy to ignore gender when we know very well that women live longer than men.
    But I do sympathise with lads like Rob of the sensible kind who are tarred with the same brush as the others.

8. Re: Young Driver Insurance 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista
    I agree with you chappers.
    That doesn't happen often - post now printed, laminated and framed! ;D ;D