Notices

Thread: So where are the petrol price protests???

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Re: So where are the petrol price protests??? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed_Fly
    I have questioned this. FFS, you can claim 20p a mile wear and tear on your pushbike, but I can only claim 24p a mile when I go on the motorbike. So assuming the same level of wear and tear (even though it is actually MUCH higher), that leaves 4p for the fuel. Doesn't come close
    You're lucky to be able to claim! Don't get nowt back however I travel!!!!!

Best way to protest, get out of the car and on to a motorbike!!!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

2. Re: So where are the petrol price protests??? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    [quote author=Squashed_Fly link=1296663385/1#1 date=1296664406]I have questioned this. FFS, you can claim 20p a mile wear and tear on your pushbike, but I can only claim 24p a mile when I go on the motorbike. So assuming the same level of wear and tear (even though it is actually MUCH higher), that leaves 4p for the fuel. Doesn't come close
    You're lucky to be able to claim! Don't get nowt back however I travel!!!!!

Best way to protest, get out of the car and on to a motorbike!!![/quote]

Jon - everyone can claim that. So long as it's not commuting mileage, any business miles are payable back. If your place of work doesn't pay that, then claim the difference direct back from HMRC on a P85 form. It's all online. Just keep your receipts, and mileage forms up to date. If you want a sample mileage form for your records, PM me your email and I'll fire you one over.

I'm always surprised at how few people know what they are entitled to claim back from our government. I work from home, I claim back towards my heating and fuel bills. I have to go direct to HMRC though as my work won't pay that. But they do pay the full 40p/24p a mile though

Here is the link to the HMRC site. If you travel more than 10,000 miles by car, then any after the first 10,000 are only 25p a mile

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/travel.htm

3. Re: So where are the petrol price protests??? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    Best way to protest, get out of the car and on to a motorbike!!!
    Here here!

Gone from paying £35 a fortnight to get to work, to paying £13 for the same - up yours Fuel Tax! Plus the tax is cheaper too, and traffic isn't an issue 8-)
    100 Japanese horses now unmuzzled! Derestricted hooliganism has commenced...

4. Re: So where are the petrol price protests??? 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lunalupi
    [quote author=Jon_W link=1296663385/10#10 date=1296720269]Best way to protest, get out of the car and on to a motorbike!!!
    Here here!

Gone from paying £35 a fortnight to get to work, to paying £13 for the same - up yours Fuel Tax! Plus the tax is cheaper too, and traffic isn't an issue 8-)[/quote]

Apart from the traffic non-issue, it costs me same/a little bit more on the bike.

5. Re: So where are the petrol price protests??? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch9128
    [quote author=lunalupi link=1296663385/12#12 date=1296758741][quote author=Jon_W link=1296663385/10#10 date=1296720269]Best way to protest, get out of the car and on to a motorbike!!!
    Here here!

Gone from paying £35 a fortnight to get to work, to paying £13 for the same - up yours Fuel Tax! Plus the tax is cheaper too, and traffic isn't an issue 8-)[/quote]

Apart from the traffic non-issue, it costs me same/a little bit more on the bike.[/quote]

I want your car..... I have a mini and that is a lot more expensive to run per year than the Bike.

My girlfriend and I did the calculations to see if a scoot would save her money, and it came back a nearly £400 per year including tax, insurance, mot and a guesstimate on other costs of running a bike.

Her bike will pay for itself in 2 years. The whole thing (kit and CBT's) in four.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

6. Re: So where are the petrol price protests??? 
    Platinum Member
    If your place of work doesn't pay that, then claim the difference direct back from HMRC on a P85 form
    You do not get the difference back.
    You get tax relief on difference.
    This means the amount you'll actually receive will either be 20% or 40% of the Mileage Allowance Relief (MAR) depending on your tax rate.

7. Re: So where are the petrol price protests??? 
    Platinum Member
    I haven't owned my van a year yet and already it costs me a tenner more to fill it up than when I bought it! Fuel tax is crippling small businesses.
    www.shinybikesyndrome.co.uk - Protection through innovation

8. Re: So where are the petrol price protests??? 
    My Pajero has a 92 Litre tank and does 20 to the gallon This is just silly at the moment. Tesco's in Trowbridge is 133.9 pence per litre

9. Re: So where are the petrol price protests??? 
    Am looking at a new car... seriously having to consider petrol prices, as this is set to get worse.

10. Re: So where are the petrol price protests??? 
    Thank we both drive a diesel.... 400+ miles to 40 litres, better fuel economy than we get on the bikes!