Notices

Thread: Police protests?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Police protests? 
    Diamond Member
    In the wake of the government-commission report by Tom Winsor on Police Officer’s remuneration package, it is no secret that some members of the Police Federation’s ruling council want to consider having the right to strike

When the government’s pruning axe falls on the next area of the public sector, the police budget, it will mean a reduction in salary of £4000 for many ordinary frontline officers.

Should members of our Police Force have the right to strike?

2. Re: Police protests? 
    Er I don't think they should really to be honest Ken , no more than us serving in the Armed Forces should or others who provide that kind of service. We saw when the Fire Service (or fire bobbies as they're called up north east way) went on strike , the poor already overstretched soldiers had to drive those god awful green godesses.

If police strike it will mean sadly putting soldiers on the streets to police who have no training in keeping the peace on a civil level, do we really want the prospect of putting men and women on the streets of UK (not including Northern Ireland as they had it for decades) who are trained in a higher level of peace keeping, normally involving baton rounds, patrolling with rifles and heavy equipments ?

Personally , overstretch or not as a serving soldier I would hate to see what I saw in Northern Ireland appear on the streets of mainland UK because the Police decide to strike and I'm sure many would feel the same, we simply are not trained nor have the ability to deal like the civil authorities do, end of the day we are trained to save and take lives, even the RMP aren't real coppers!

3. Re: Police protests? 
    Platinum Member
    The Filth are crap at this marching through London lark, no violence, no smashing up shops, who's gonna drop fire extinguishers on them?? Bring in the students to kettle 'em i say!

4. Re: Police protests? 
    Platinum Member
    I bet they'll stick to the proposed route as well.
    www.shinybikesyndrome.co.uk - Protection through innovation

5. Re: Police protests? 
    No, they knew the rules. When my mortgage payments go up I don't have the right to not pay it. Swings and round-a-bouts baby!
    Should be glad they've got a secure job in this current climate.

6. Re: Police protests? 
    I'd be interested to see the results of squaddies tooled-up and on Friday night shift in an average town centre... baton rounds, stun grenades and riot sticks should be just the job for dealing with pissed-up chav gob****es - worth an experimental run I reckon...
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

7. Re: Police protests? 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    I'd be interested to see the results of squaddies tooled-up and on Friday night shift in an average town centre... baton rounds, stun grenades and riot sticks should be just the job for dealing with pissed-up chav gob****es - worth an experimental run I reckon...
    LMFAO, problem is, in most garrison towns, those chavs are the squaddies!!!!

8. Re: Police protests? 
    Quote Originally Posted by noisy_lightning
    [quote author=Scotty link=1299787099/5#5 date=1299800954]I'd be interested to see the results of squaddies tooled-up and on Friday night shift in an average town centre... baton rounds, stun grenades and riot sticks should be just the job for dealing with pissed-up chav gob****es - worth an experimental run I reckon...
    There are training a number of RAF Airmen at the moment to go into Prisons when they go on strike, some of my friends have had their jabs already and start training in the near future. Just glad I was not volluntold like they were!

As for the police, no they should not be allowed to go on strike. And I dont see why they are moaning, the WHOLE public sector is getting nailed, including the military, I wont be getting any pay rise either for the next to years so its not just them. I also wish we had overtime, moaning about nothing!

9. Re: Police protests? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    No, they knew the rules. When my mortgage payments go up I don't have the right to not pay it. Swings and round-a-bouts baby!
    Should be glad they've got a secure job in this current climate.
    With respect WB, I can’t see the analogy between a rise in mortgage repayments and a police pay cut. Prior to purchasing a property, a prospective home owner is advised by their lender that loan repayments will fluctuate in line with interest changes. When a recruit joins the Police Force, he/she does not expect to take a compulsory pay cut of up to £4000.

I liken the government’s cuts and the consequential mood of the nation to a baker making bread. All the ingredients are in the bowl and when the yeast is added the mix blows-up. Only difference being that unlike the government, the baker can control how much yeast is added.

Personally, I don’t think the government have thought through the implications of implementing these proposed police budget cuts and even at this late stage, a u-turn may be in the offing.

When Margaret Thatcher came to power in 1979, she knew that implementation of her agenda would lead to large-scale civil unrest across the country. In order to ensure delivery of her policies, she had the sense to know that she needed a Police Force with a high level of morale and boosted Police pay accordingly. At the time of the miners strike in the early 80’s large numbers of police officers who were drafted in, in coaches from all parts of the country to the trouble hotspots like the Yorkshire pits were on duty long overtime.

When (not if) ‘Joe Public’ says enough is enough and throws the yeast into the mix (takes to the streets) who is going to police the demos? Could we really blame a police officer who has just been on the receiving end of a £4000 pay cut, for telling his superior to shove his overtime ‘where the sun don’t shine’?

10. Re: Police protests? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch9128
    who's gonna drop fire extinguishers on them??!
    Nice one mate........you nobber