Notices

Thread: Time please gentlemen

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: Time please gentlemen 
    Platinum Member
    Famous quote from Henry Kissinger: America has no friends, only interests.

We are no different.
    www.shinybikesyndrome.co.uk - Protection through innovation

2. Re: Time please gentlemen 
    Diamond Member
    Was just reading that two Iranian warships have sailed out of the Suez and entered the Eastern Med, allegedly, on their way to Syria. Israel is on high alert. Don't look too good.

3. Re: Time please gentlemen 
    Platinum Member
    I might actually start watching the news if it's getting serious. I don't normally bother as it's mostly just propaganda and one sided opinions.

4. Re: Time please gentlemen 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nooj
    I might actually start watching the news if it's getting serious. I don't normally bother as it's mostly just propaganda and one sided opinions.
    I clicked on an icon on my Yahoo home page. The main news was mostly dedicated to the troubles in Libya. It's all very worrying with things so unstable at the moment. I just hope the Israelis don't get drawn into the situation. Americans would most certainly become involved then.

5. Re: Time please gentlemen 
    Those two Iranian ships are more than a little bit worrying, they stray just a metre into Israeli waters and they can kiss their asses goodbye!

6. Re: Time please gentlemen 
    It could be nothing more than an attempt to provoke the Israelis into action, then justifying a military response of their own and hopefully (from the Iranian perspective) drawing widespread condemnation from the rest of the Arab world and unifying them against Israel.
    I'd imagine that the remainder of the Arab nations are more concerned with their own internal happenings at the moment and see the Iranian regime as a liability so they wouldn't back them in initiating conflict with Israel
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

7. Re: Time please gentlemen 
    Diamond Member
    I agree with you Scotty, but I think Syria would probably back Iran in the event of any conflict with Israel. It's all a bit messy at the moment.

8. Re: Time please gentlemen 
    Platinum Member
    I see the Greeks have been making a day of it as well. Has something got into the water at that end of the Med??

9. Re: Time please gentlemen 
    Diamond Member
    Gaddafi, fly in the ointment to the West, but a good topic of conversation at the Whitehouse and Downing Street dinner parties:

"Can't say too much old chap, but the old SAS have things in hand." "Well I hope so, the guy's a nutter, he's indoctrinating his own people, 80 per cent are employed by his regime and the other 25 per cent are Christians." “See what I can do old chap, pull a few strings to cut a few strings if you get my drift, but this chap is not your normal puppet if you know what I mean old chap”

10. Re: Time please gentlemen 
    Diamond Member
    Last night saw ten of the fifteen members of the UN Security Council vote in favour of the resolution to enforce a no-fly zone over Libya. As UK forces are preparing to help enforce the no-fly zone, I make no apologies for bringing this thread to the fore.

I agree with Tony Benn, who reacted to the UN decision by saying, "The question is, is it right for us to start a new war, we've got the Afghan war, to start a war in Libya, because the language used covers up what it's really about, it's an attempt to get rid of Gaddafi.
    "Without holding any cards for Gaddafi, and I'm not supporting him, the fact is that the revolution in Libya has not led to the victory that it did in Tunisia and Egypt, and therefore we would be entering into a civil war.
    "And the truth is you're going into a war without clear objectives, although everybody knows what the British objectives and American objectives are.
    "I think this is going to damage the popular movement in the Middle East by allowing it to be presented as a western intervention."

Do we have the military resources to engage in another war?
    Why are the leaders of the other EU member states so slow out of the ‘starting blocks’ in committing forces?

Finally, many in the Arab world will present this as a western intervention. As in all wars, the imminent conflict in Libya will lead to innocent casualties, which could unite the Libyan people behind Gaddafi. I very much hope I am wrong.