Notices

Thread: satellite dish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. satellite dish 
    Platinum Member
    Does anyone know of someone who could fit a satellite dish for me?

Bought a TV with built in HD freesat so have bought a dish. Hoping its easy to fit but been told it has to be lined up correct;y

2. Re: satellite dish 
    It's not too difficult to do yourself Attach firmly to the wall with a good solid bracket and point it in the same direction as any others in the neighbourhood.

You'll be told you need a gadget to line up with the satellite, but as long as your set-top box (or tv in your case) can display bars showing signal strength and quality you can line it up using that - that's all my dad did for mine!
    100 Japanese horses now unmuzzled! Derestricted hooliganism has commenced...

3. Re: satellite dish 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lunalupi
    It's not too difficult to do yourself Attach firmly to the wall with a good solid bracket and point it in the same direction as any others in the neighbourhood.

You'll be told you need a gadget to line up with the satellite, but as long as your set-top box (or tv in your case) can display bars showing signal strength and quality you can line it up using that - that's all my dad did for mine!

great thanks...thats what i had planned on doing but was told by someone i wouldn't be able to do it myself

4. Re: satellite dish 
    Platinum Member
    Sounds like a man's job

*runs for cover*
    www.shinybikesyndrome.co.uk - Protection through innovation

5. Re: satellite dish 
    Banned
    If you get stuck I can give you a hand. When choosing position of the dish you want to see sky in the direction it's pointing - the satellite will be hovering above with a beam angle to the dish about 60degrees, which is steep but tall trees and roof lines of other buildings close can still get in the way. Once you get some signal off the right satellite you'll be close to home and dry, although getting both the elevation and direction down can be frustrating to begin with. Many dishes will have a scale on the side so you should be able to figure out your elevation and set it initally with the dish on the ground.

Sorry have I started making this sound hard...

really don't worry!!

6. Re: satellite dish 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by njl
    If you get stuck I can give you a hand. When choosing position of the dish you want to see sky in the direction it's pointing - the satellite will be hovering above with a beam angle to the dish about 60degrees, which is steep but tall trees and roof lines of other buildings close can still get in the way. Once you get some signal off the right satellite you'll be close to home and dry, although getting both the elevation and direction down can be frustrating to begin with. Many dishes will have a scale on the side so you should be able to figure out your elevation and set it initally with the dish on the ground.

Sorry have I started making this sound hard...

really don't worry!!

Oh my...now that sounds complicated

7. Re: satellite dish 
    Sue you need to point the dish at astra 23.5%east with the Azimuth of 52% witch is the tilt of the dish
    If it has a red line use it ....

8. Re: satellite dish 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cobs
    Sue you need to point the dish at astra 23.5%east with the Azimuth of 52% witch is the tilt of the dish
    Should webbe at 28.2 for freesat?

9. Re: satellite dish 
    Quote Originally Posted by njl
    [quote author=cobs link=1300737567/6#6 date=1300813766]Sue you need to point the dish at astra 23.5%east with the Azimuth of 52% witch is the tilt of the dish
    Should webbe at 28.2 for freesat?[/quote]

Ops yes 28.2 sorry
    If it has a red line use it ....

10. Re: satellite dish 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cobs
    [quote author=njl link=1300737567/7#7 date=1300814148][quote author=cobs link=1300737567/6#6 date=1300813766]Sue you need to point the dish at astra 23.5%east with the Azimuth of 52% witch is the tilt of the dish
    Should webbe at 28.2 for freesat?[/quote]

Ops yes 28.2 sorry[/quote]

ok Colin ..you seem to know what to do..can you do it for me if i get it up? hehe