Notices

Thread: On the Spot fines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Re: On the Spot fines 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed_Fly
    You can't win - w complain there's too much beaurocracy and red tape, so we give them powers to 'just get stuff done' and then suddenly we want a trial, jury, paperwork, judge etc.

I think a bit of common sense is in order. If plod sees you driving like a twat, and he's got it on his in car video recorder, then he should be able to pull you over, give you fine/slap on the wrist. Whether I'm in my car, or on the bike, if I decide to ride in a way that potentially might cause others harm/annoyance, I have to accept the consequences that may come with it if I'm caught.

"How can a punishment of an £80 – £100 fine improve road safety?"

It cant, directly. But if you get picked up for driving dangerously and fined, you might think twice before doing it again so ultimately the safety will improve over time. We've spent so long worrying about whether we're speeding, we've forgotten to check whether we're actually driving safely.

The bottom line is, if you drive sensibly, and take into account road conditions/traffic etc and choose your speed in accordance, you won't get a fine. I'd only be worried about it if I thought I drove like a knob.
    I am all in favour of cutting red tape and bureaucracy as a means of reducing the financial burden on the public purse, but not at the expense of undermining our judicial system.
    Time will be the judge, as to whether these new police powers will lead to a significant drop in the number of convictions of motoring offences. On the other hand, the loss of a day’s wages and no court appearance may not be enough of a punishment to deter many irresponsible road users from driving/riding irresponsibly. Perhaps the following is a good case in point
    “Research released in December 20009 by the Transport Research Laboratory (TRL) has revealed that, of all Motoring Offences, the number of incidents involving drivers using their mobile phone has increased dramatically. It appears that some people are still not getting the simple message.”
    “In London alone, more than 14,000 drivers were caught using their phone while driving, including over 2,000 van drivers. This increase is despite tougher mobile rules introduced in 2007.”

On my recent trip to Carlisle, I counted 43 motorists operating a mobile phone while driving.

2. Re: On the Spot fines 
    Don't forget that you don't have to accept an on-the-spot fine.

If you disagree with it, you can always elect to take it to court.
    But most people don't because if found guilty, the penalties can be much higher than the fixed penalty.
    The option is there.