Notices

Thread: camping advice :)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. camping advice :) 
    hey all

my other half and i will be going camping next month in the uk and on the bike, obviously space is a massive issue.

have nice small compact tent, the problem is the sleeping bags, we need 2, they need to be small enough to fit into one large rucksack, warm enough to sleep in, and ideally under £50.

i went to go outdoors today and the vango ultralite 300 seems perfect but at £55 is out of my partners price range and will probably only get used twice or so when the novelty wears off...

any campers here with any suggestions?

thanks

zach

2. Re: camping advice :) 
    From our experience of camping at the IOM TT. Small sleeping bags are colder so be prepared to wear clothes inside, get good quality self inflating sleeping mats and get a 3 man tent. 3 man tents don't take up much more room than 2 man tents but it makes a big difference when you are in it. As with most things in life cheap is usually nasty, better to get good quality second hand than cheap new.

3. Re: camping advice :) 
    There's Mountain Life (thinks that's what it's called) in the outlet village that sells stuff at discount.
    How about a good trawl through the internet to see if you can get the sleeping bag cheaper.
    Thermal clothes, and socks! if my feet are warm I'm warm and can sleep fine, it they're cold doesn't matter how thick the duvet / sleeping bag is!!
    It's Lilac... not pink!

4. Re: camping advice :) 
    couple blankets you'll be fine as not exactly artic conditions Plenty of compact stuff out there if you must do posh it Yeah check out 2nd hand stuff available if funds a bit low is best suggestion.

Enjoy yer trip anyway
    I need amusement in my sad life and it looks, very much, like you fit this requirement admirably..............begin the amusement!!!!!

5. Re: camping advice :) 
    Cheers for the suggestions guys. Am thinking a small compact sleeping bag with a fleece liner perhaps...

6. Re: camping advice :) 
    I have a lovely sleeping bag with a fleece liner and I'm always cosy - mine doesn't pack down very small though, but I can tell you that the fleece makes all the difference in making you feel warmer ;D
    100 Japanese horses now unmuzzled! Derestricted hooliganism has commenced...

7. Re: camping advice :) 
    I have a gortex outter lining for my thin sleeping bag, not sure how much they cost but it makes a hell of a differnce to the temperature.

8. Re: camping advice :) 
    Thanks for the replies

9. Re: camping advice :) 
    Platinum Member
    I wear a warm hat too

10. Re: camping advice :) 
    I just bought an ex-army "arctic" sleeping bag in great nic for £21.00.Comes with a compression sack which makes it surprisingly small.bought it off fleabay.