Notices

Thread: Remember the insurance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: Remember the insurance. 
    Diamond Member
    Why dont they just randomly fine people for the sake of it, thats what they will be doing soon :

2. Re: Remember the insurance. 
    Hey Dennis.
    You can still offer the scoot with 12 months road tax, on agreement of sale.
    New owner can go away and sort out the insurance whilst you take scoot off SORN.(And make sure the cheque clears )
    New owner pitches up a few days later with legal insurance and you have a taxed scoot raring to go!
    Hopefully everyone is happy and no law is broken.
    Not bad for a tractordriver eh? ;D

3. Re: Remember the insurance. 
    Guys I am certain it don't work like that

If the scoot has no MOT then it can't be insured and if it is insured then it is invalidated because of no mot plus without insurance or mot it can't be taxed. The new owner would have to trailer away. However if it is new[ish] and requires no mot then to get tax isn't going to be a prob as already insured. There is a window whereby if a vehicle is actually booked into a garage it can be taken straight there to get an mot in order to obtain road fund licence.

Bear in mind,at all times, that law is made by politicians which easily explains why, very often, it makes no logical or common sense and is frequently tested in courts by overpaid legal wafflers :

Happy to be corrected but that is how I understand the tosh.

On topic - It's a good thing and if a vehicle is SORN and off the road then you don't insure it and won't be fined if plod asks. Plenty of uninsured vehicles littering the side streets these days.
    I need amusement in my sad life and it looks, very much, like you fit this requirement admirably..............begin the amusement!!!!!

4. Re: Remember the insurance. 
    Platinum Member
    if you arent driving it then you arent gonna crash it are you!
    It could catch fire, or roll down the drive.

Also a thief could take it and crash it.
    If the thief is unknown then the MIB (motorists insurers beureaux) will pick up the case.
    If the thief is known then believe it on not YOUR INSURANCE will have to fork out. This is a legal obligation under the Road Traffic act. If the person is unemployed it may not be possible to recoup the costs from them.

So yes, you car can still cause problems for innocent people even if you are not driving it.

It's unfair if your insurance has to pay for something you didn't do, but it's about protecting innocent people from your car, not necessarily from you driving it.

5. Re: Remember the insurance. 
    Diamond Member
    Ref the scooter - just take the amount of 12 months tax off the sale price and let the new buyer tax it when he's insured it.

Job done

6. Re: Remember the insurance. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackandchrome
    Hey Dennis.
    You can still offer the scoot with 12 months road tax, on agreement of sale.
    New owner can go away and sort out the insurance whilst you take scoot off SORN.(And make sure the cheque clears )
    New owner pitches up a few days later with legal insurance and you have a taxed scoot raring to go!
    Hopefully everyone is happy and no law is broken.
    Not bad for a tractordriver eh? ;D
    Not bad for a tractor driver at all thanks, always a good option.
    Thanks to Squashed_Fly as well.

Sorry for straying off topic, I will leave it there and offer the scooter with out tax.

7. Re: Remember the insurance. 
    Diamond Member
    Perhaps someone could explain, but I fail to see how this new legislation will deter those road users who drive/ride on public roads without insurance. Surely they will just declare SORN and continue as before? Or am I just not getting it?

8. Re: Remember the insurance. 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by monday21
    Perhaps someone could explain, but I fail to see how this new legislation will deter those road users who drive/ride on public roads without insurance. Surely they will just declare SORN and continue as before? Or am I just not getting it?
    The point of it is that to catch somebody for driving without insurance requires much more work than catching somebody driving a vehicle declared as off the road, to check a vehicles insurance a request has to go to the insurance company they are registered with and also means lots and lots of paperwork whereas a vehicle declared off the road can be detected by those auto scanning cameras in police cars. (Don't quote me on that but I'm fairly sure thats right ;])
    Geo

9. Re: Remember the insurance. 
    Quote Originally Posted by NoYou
    [quote author=monday21 link=1306142476/16#16 date=1306260235]Perhaps someone could explain, but I fail to see how this new legislation will deter those road users who drive/ride on public roads without insurance. Surely they will just declare SORN and continue as before? Or am I just not getting it?
    The point of it is that to catch somebody for driving without insurance requires much more work than catching somebody driving a vehicle declared as off the road, to check a vehicles insurance a request has to go to the insurance company they are registered with and also means lots and lots of paperwork whereas a vehicle declared off the road can be detected by those auto scanning cameras in police cars. (Don't quote me on that but I'm fairly sure thats right ;])
    Geo[/quote]

A vehicle with no insurance can be detected by ANPR as well, it only then takes a phone call to the insurance company or MIB to confirm the insurance.

I believe this is aimed more at this kind of scenario..........

A family have 2 cars registered in seperate names but only one insurance policy is taken out by the couple for one vehicle. The second vehicle remains at the side of the road uninsured when its not being driven but insured when driven by a person with a fully comp policy that enables them to drive other vehicles.

10. Re: Remember the insurance. 
    Platinum Member
    The second vehicle remains at the side of the road uninsured
    It's wasn't legal for a car to be on the public road uninsured.
    But they could legally have parked the car on their driveway or privately owned car parking space.