Notices

Thread: Remember the insurance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Remember the insurance. 
    As a reminder the DVLA will be able to do you for having a vehicle taxed but not insured as of the end of the month.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13493056

Yet another way to get a bit of extra dosh!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

2. Re: Remember the insurance. 
    ker-ching!
    "the empty can rattles the most!"

https://www.facebook.com/neil.hudd

3. Re: Remember the insurance. 
    Only if you fail to declare SORN!
    What's the problem?
    Any person who has vehicle insurance is paying an excess due to those that are uninsured! >
    I pay my premiums and remain legal- 100%
    So why can't all other owners ?
    Perhaps those that have suffered as a result of being "involved" with an uninsured vehicle owner will be very much for this new law.

4. Re: Remember the insurance. 
    so does that mean if you have your car parked on your drive (which im assuming is private land) then you can get a fine for not having it insured?

5. Re: Remember the insurance. 
    Diamond Member
    Yes if it is not SORN...

6. Re: Remember the insurance. 
    thats ridiculous! if you arent driving it then you arent gonna crash it are you! i think my car was left uninsured for a few days last year as it ran out while we were on holiday and i couldnt afford it before the holiday as i got paid part way through the holiday as well! i wasnt driving it and it was parked on a drive so it wasnt doing anyone any harm! what a stupid idea!!!

7. Re: Remember the insurance. 
    Diamond Member
    In one way it is stupid but then when my Dad was alive he had lovley Vauxhall Senator that used to be the mayor of readings so it was a great car, but some silly sod drove into the back of him and wrote it off, and guess what the silly little kid in his XR3i had no insurance....

8. Re: Remember the insurance. 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazel-nut
    thats ridiculous! if you arent driving it then you arent gonna crash it are you! i think my car was left uninsured for a few days last year as it ran out while we were on holiday and i couldnt afford it before the holiday as i got paid part way through the holiday as well! i wasnt driving it and it was parked on a drive so it wasnt doing anyone any harm! what a stupid idea!!!
    Assuming the government haven't done their usual and passed the law without thinking ahead, then i would imagine there is a lee way in the law, probably the same amount of time you have after you road tax expires to declare the vehicle SCORN, to allow for situations like this and if not you would be able to appeal against that sort of thing because of the circumstances.
    Personally i think this is a good change provided they do it properly, with less uninsured drivers on the roads everyones insurance SHOULD (but probably won't...) go down, or at the least not go up any more.
    Geo

9. Re: Remember the insurance. 
    There is another side to this that is causing me grief at the moment. I have my wife's scooter currently on SORN ( with no insurance) as it has been sat in the garage since last year. However I would like to put it up for sale and would like to offer it with 12 months TAX (so the new owner can pay and drive away with their insurance), but to do that I would have to insure the bike (even though it is staying in the garage) and keep it insured. Now Tax for a year on the scooter is 15 quid and insurance for the year is 80 quid. If someone buys the bike quickly they will get to use the tax, but the insurance will go totally unused and the company will take a hefty fee to cancel the policy early.

Any suggestions on (legal) ways around this?

Also anybody want a 2009 Yamaha Xc125 Scooter?? ;D ;D

10. Re: Remember the insurance. 
    "thats ridiculous! if you arent driving it then you arent gonna crash it are you! i think my car was left uninsured for a few days last year as it ran out while we were on holiday and i couldnt afford it before the holiday as i got paid part way through the holiday as well! i wasnt driving it and it was parked on a drive so it wasnt doing anyone any harm! what a stupid idea!!! "
    Rather a naive attitude! :P
    So when your away on your holiday and your car gets nicked or vandalised? :
    Who is gonna wish that they had insurance?