Notices

Thread: Remember the insurance.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Re: Remember the insurance. 
    Quote Originally Posted by slowr1der
    A family have 2 cars registered in seperate names but only one insurance policy is taken out by the couple for one vehicle. The second vehicle remains at the side of the road uninsured when its not being driven but insured when driven by a person with a fully comp policy that enables them to drive other vehicles.
    That also won't work, as almost all policies which allow driving other cars state that the other vehicle must be insured itself.

So I also fail to see who this will catch except the most stupid of criminals who don't just declare the car SORN, and the unfortunate motorist who has (for example) put the car in for MOT, it failed and they're fixing it, but at the same time the insurance ran out.
    So they now have to send in the paperwork to declare it SORN (which as we know could takes weeks), and then possibly only a very short while later, get it re-taxed...!
    100 Japanese horses now unmuzzled! Derestricted hooliganism has commenced...

2. Re: Remember the insurance. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis_Sinanan
    There is another side to this that is causing me grief at the moment. I have my wife's scooter currently on SORN ( with no insurance) as it has been sat in the garage since last year. However I would like to put it up for sale and would like to offer it with 12 months TAX (so the new owner can pay and drive away with their insurance), but to do that I would have to insure the bike (even though it is staying in the garage) and keep it insured. Now Tax for a year on the scooter is 15 quid and insurance for the year is 80 quid. If someone buys the bike quickly they will get to use the tax, but the insurance will go totally unused and the company will take a hefty fee to cancel the policy early.

Any suggestions on (legal) ways around this?

Also anybody want a 2009 Yamaha Xc125 Scooter?? ;D ;D
    errm.... dont you need to show proof of insurance to tax a vehicle? (and MOT)

3. Re: Remember the insurance. 
    This is crap...

I hope to pass my driving test soon, so to save un-needed provisional insurance ill cancel it until i can afford the rise in full license insurance.

Which wont be easy...

So ill end up being penalised for my car not being used because of passing my test...

Thanks DVLA.....

4. Re: Remember the insurance. 
    Quote Originally Posted by slowr1der
    [quote author=NoYou link=1306142476/17#17 date=1306271340][quote author=monday21 link=1306142476/16#16 date=1306260235]Perhaps someone could explain, but I fail to see how this new legislation will deter those road users who drive/ride on public roads without insurance. Surely they will just declare SORN and continue as before? Or am I just not getting it?
    The point of it is that to catch somebody for driving without insurance requires much more work than catching somebody driving a vehicle declared as off the road, to check a vehicles insurance a request has to go to the insurance company they are registered with and also means lots and lots of paperwork whereas a vehicle declared off the road can be detected by those auto scanning cameras in police cars. (Don't quote me on that but I'm fairly sure thats right ;])
    Geo[/quote]

A vehicle with no insurance can be detected by ANPR as well, it only then takes a phone call to the insurance company or MIB to confirm the insurance.

I believe this is aimed more at this kind of scenario..........

A family have 2 cars registered in seperate names but only one insurance policy is taken out by the couple for one vehicle. The second vehicle remains at the side of the road uninsured when its not being driven but insured when driven by a person with a fully comp policy that enables them to drive other vehicles.

[/quote]

i think what you are saying only works if the other vehicle is insured.
    for example, your mate is drunk you take his car from the pub, you insurance covers you driving your mates car as long as its insured.

if your mate car doesnt have insurance, then it wont work.

or else everyone would be getting insurance on a 1.0 Micra... and buying a 3L turbo to drive around...

5. Re: Remember the insurance. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor911
    This is crap...

So ill end up being penalised for my car not being used because of passing my test...
    Not if you declare the car SORN you won't

6. Re: Remember the insurance. 
    Also, if you declare SORN and there's still tax left, dont they give you the remaining months money back?

7. Re: Remember the insurance. 
    Diamond Member
    Yes they do

8. Re: Remember the insurance. 
    So... I dont see the problem, think its a good thing, just another way of trying to stop people driving without insurance.

doesnt make any harm to the good citizen......
    even that bit of insurance about to run out, i bet its like the tax, you have 14 days after it expires, to tax again, you'll be done if you drive it on the roads with expired tax, but you have 14 days to tax.

9. Re: Remember the insurance. 
    Quote Originally Posted by jpssantos
    Also, if you declare SORN and there's still tax left, dont they give you the remaining months money back?
    They do refund the remaining Vehicle Excise Duty (tax) but ONLY if you return the tax disc to them along with the appropriate form from the Post Office (may be able to download it nowadays), correctly filled in and sent before the end of the month.
    I'm not even sure if the 14 days' grace on expired VED remains as everyone gets a reminder a month before expiry nowadays, and you don't need to queue in the Post Office any more, just do it on-line.

There is however NO GRACE PERIOD AT ALL on insurance - when it expires, you are uninsured, end of.
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

10. Re: Remember the insurance. 
    yeh, you still get the 14days, as I called DVLA not long ago asking about that

So what you are saying is that if your insurance expires on the 31st of May, but you only renew the insurance on the 2nd of June, you'll get a fine (or whatever is) through the post at some point?