Notices

Thread: Never cross a Zebra!

1. Never cross a Zebra! 
    Diamond Member
    When I was taking driving lessons 30 years ago I recall my instructor advising me to always stop at a zebra crossing to allow waiting pedestrians to cross the road. She went on to say that I should always presume that an approaching pedestrian would use the crossing.

Not for the first time, I stood at a zebra crossing today and four vehicles passed without even noticing me.

Is it just me, or are more and more road users ignoring this ‘rule of thumb?’

2. Re: Never cross a Zebra! 
    Platinum Member
    It's just a rule of thumb I'm afraid by law you don't have to stop until the pedestrian steps out to cross, ask vmix he'll tell ya :P

3. Re: Never cross a Zebra! 
    I always look as I aproach the crossing and am ready to stop if required.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

4. Re: Never cross a Zebra! 
    I always push a small child out in front of me when approaching a zebra crossing, seems to make drivers stop quite quickly... well most of the time :-[

5. Re: Never cross a Zebra! 
    This came up during my advanced rider training, and the highway code states for road users that,

you MUST give way when a pedestrian has moved onto a crossing

link to highway code page with infomation

So you only have to give way to someone who has actually stepped onto the crossing, not to someone who is stood on the pavement waiting. This is confirmed in the pedestrians rules for crossings,

Remember that traffic does not have to stop until someone has moved onto the crossing.

link to page with pedestrian information

I think it's more a case of road users SHOULD stop at crossing to allow people to cross, but they don't have to if they don't want to. They only HAVE to stop when someone is actually on the crossing.
    Don't get confused between my personality and my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are...

6. Re: Never cross a Zebra! 
    Quote Originally Posted by mcicy
    I always push a small child out in front of me when approaching a zebra crossing, seems to make drivers stop quite quickly... well most of the time :-[
    What's worse, you saying it, or me laughing at it? :-?

7. Re: Never cross a Zebra! 
    Diamond Member
    I am not disputing the Highway Code, but I find it astonishing that a driver/rider of a vehicle is not required to stop at a zebra crossing until a pedestrian has begun to cross the road.

Perhaps this “Play Chicken” approach to crossing the road is a contributing factor to the high rate of accidents involving pedestrians negotiating such crossings.

Bit of a dilemma really. When out for a stroll in future, I don’t intend to wait all day for a driver/rider to give way at a zebra crossing and I’m not stupid enough to step in front of moving traffic. Anyone know where I can buy one of those stingers used by the cops featured on "Road Wars?" ;D

8. Re: Never cross a Zebra! 
    ;D ;D abroad the peds have to wait even if they gotta foot out ............ as it should be ;D
    I need amusement in my sad life and it looks, very much, like you fit this requirement admirably..............begin the amusement!!!!!

9. Re: Never cross a Zebra! 
    Platinum Member
    "Did not think vehicles had to stop even when you're already crossing!!" : atleast that's what I find in 6/10 crossings I make when the approaching vehicle cannot brake for speeding in the first place and swerves around me!

10. Re: Never cross a Zebra! 
    The Zebra in Newtown in Trowvegas is terrible for people not stopping. I often walk my parents GSD over it and have often been astounded that both me and the dog are still alive! 10 years old and still going (the dog, not me! lol)