Notices

Thread: Persistant phone users

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: Persistant phone users 
    each to their own.. if we were all the same, the world would be a very boring place

2. Re: Persistant phone users 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed_Fly
    [quote author=dan_geoghegan link=1308158620/8#8 date=1308171090]Bring in the death penalty. You'd only have to execute a couple of people before it was taken seriously.
    We seem to be agreeing a lot this week! lol [/quote]

The law must be consistent and the punishment must be proportionate to the crime committed. Who on here would agree with the introduction of a 12 moth jail term for motorcyclists who flaunt the number plate and exhaust laws, in addition to the confiscation of their bikes? Such a penalty would probably cut the biking fraternity by half and would certainly please the anti-biking lobby. :P

Seriously though, using a hand-held or hands-free phone while driving is a major problem. I am not so sure however, that the current legislation relating to hand-held phones addresses what I believe to be a more serious road safety issue.

In my view, engaging in conversation with a passenger or conversing on a hands-free phone while driving is potentially a greater distraction than holding an object such as a phone or sandwich. How many of us have nearly missed a junction or nearly crossed a red light when conversing with a passenger?
    The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (ROSPA) recently completed a substantial body of research in to this issue.

ROSPA reported, “Using a hands-free phone while driving does not significantly reduce the risks because the problems are caused mainly by the mental distraction and divided attention of taking part in a phone conversation at the same time as driving.”

3. Re: Persistant phone users 
    Quote Originally Posted by monday21
    [quote author=Squashed_Fly link=1308158620/11#11 date=1308176523][quote author=dan_geoghegan link=1308158620/8#8 date=1308171090]Bring in the death penalty. You'd only have to execute a couple of people before it was taken seriously.

The law must be consistent and the punishment must be proportionate to the crime committed. Who on here would agree with the introduction of a 12 moth jail term for motorcyclists who flaunt the number plate and exhaust laws, in addition to the confiscation of their bikes? Such a penalty would probably cut the biking fraternity by half and would certainly please the anti-biking lobby. :P

Seriously though, using a hand-held or hands-free phone while driving is a major problem. I am not so sure however, that the current legislation relating to hand-held phones addresses what I believe to be a more serious road safety issue.

In my view, engaging in conversation with a passenger or conversing on a hands-free phone while driving is potentially a greater distraction than holding an object such as a phone or sandwich. How many of us have nearly missed a junction or nearly crossed a red light when conversing with a passenger?
    The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (ROSPA) recently completed a substantial body of research in to this issue.

ROSPA reported, “Using a hands-free phone while driving does not significantly reduce the risks because the problems are caused mainly by the mental distraction and divided attention of taking part in a phone conversation at the same time as driving.”
    [/quote]
    I wouldn't want to insult either of you by implying that you didn't know I was joking. Obviously being sentenced to death of a minor law infringement would be a tad exteme.

However, Ken if I ever see you riding that Marauder.........

4. Re: Persistant phone users 
    Diamond Member
    I know WB, I was only teasing you too, but you have to start a post somewhere. I'm having second thoughts about the Marauder, might get some slippers instead. lol ;D

5. Re: Persistant phone users 
    Platinum Member
    from Fri 19 Nov 2010. Quote;-"A lorry driver who hit and killed a cyclist while using his mobile phone has been jailed for seven years and given a lifetime driving ban.
    Dennis Putz, 51, hit Catriona Patel with his 32-tonne tipper truck at traffic lights near Oval tube station in London last June.

He told Inner London Crown Court he didn't realise he'd run over the avid cyclist, who was wearing high-visibility clothing. It was only when passers-by started hammering on his door that he stopped.

During sentencing yesterday, judge Roger Chapple said Putz had "shown a consistent disregard for road traffic legislation and the law", The Guardian reported. "Plainly you should never be allowed behind the wheel of an HGV again," he said. "The risk to the public is just too great."

Patel, a director at City PR firm Citigate Dewe Rogerson, was in training with her husband, Anish, to take part in the L'Étape du Tour. In court, Mr Patel described her as a "safe and strong rider", and said his family had been given a life sentence." - unquote.

...a sombre reminder that using a phone can have dire consequences!

6. Re: Persistant phone users 
    These people using there phones obviously have urgent matters to deal with and cant spare the time to pull over safely and make/recieve there call/text.So please leave them alone.Its there human right to behave this way dont you know.

Actually the death penalty seems a good idea :P

7. Re: Persistant phone users 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    [quote author=monday21 link=1308158620/21#21 date=1308250885][quote author=Squashed_Fly link=1308158620/11#11 date=1308176523][quote author=dan_geoghegan link=1308158620/8#8 date=1308171090]Bring in the death penalty. You'd only have to execute a couple of people before it was taken seriously.

[/quote]
    I wouldn't want to insult either of you by implying that you didn't know I was joking. [/quote]

What?????

This is the biggest retreat on words since that idiot posted about nuking the middle east then promptly retracted his statement when he realised people had ACTUALLY taken him seriously!

Think his name was Washed Dry, or something like that.... ;D

I knew you didn't mean it WB, lets just hope everyone else realised it as well! lol Where would we be without a sense of humour? That's right - GERMANY!

8. Re: Persistant phone users 
    Diamond Member
    I make no apologies for repeating an extract from the ROSPA research report: “Using a hands-free phone while driving does not significantly reduce the risks because the problems are caused mainly by the mental distraction and divided attention of taking part in a phone conversation at the same time as driving.”

I suspect that the “Powers that be” have ignored the increasing evidence which reinforces ROSPA’s findings because any new legislation against the use of hands-free phones would be impossible to enforce. Perhaps education is the only option?

9. Re: Persistant phone users 
    Just to throw something in the mix here...

We are all discussing the use of mobile phones whilst driving, but did you know that I can legally drive my 90 and hold the CB radio I have installed and engage in a conversation with another CB user (usually my mate on another land rover) whilst driving?

and its perfectly legal... one hand on the steering wheel, the other holding the CB.... perfectly legal..

hey.. you didnt know about this one did ya? ;D

10. Re: Persistant phone users 
    JP that just goes to show what a ass the law is. Am I correct when I say smoking while driving is still legal? That makes me mad the fact that you can't take a drink but you can have a open fire in your car anytime you like whilst driving??

If you see people using mobile phones while driving.....Just take a photo of them with you own phone and hand it to the cops...Remember though you need to keep your phone in a outside pocket of your leathers and be wearing thin gloves.......oh and keep the throttle nice and steady.
    Been riding longer than I can remember....But still enjoying it.