Notices

Thread: bike jeans

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: bike jeans 
    Diamond Member
    There's a reason why GP riders wear leathers rather than draggin jeans.....

If you're going to the pub/town etc in 30-40mph roads, then great. Anything above that, I wouldn't wear anything but leathers/textiles

2. Re: bike jeans 
    There's due to be a review of kevlar jeans in next month's Ride magazine including stress tests etc - I'll definitely be buying a copy for that alone. I love riding in mine but would be interested to know how much better/worse they are from leathers

SF - I would suspect that GP riders wear tight fitting leathers instead of jeans for aero qualities not just protection...
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

3. Re: bike jeans 
    I have a pair of kevlar jeans and they will give protection against abrasion but if you hit a kerb or land badly they would be useless. They are Great for not having that saggy arse leather look when you have arrived somewhere though. I still haven't found a herd big enough to provide me with leather jeans yet ;D

4. Re: bike jeans 
    I`d stick to leather, in a recent programme on tv they showed one of the benefits of leather, it slides.

I think it was on one of the moto gp programmes!

All the riders still wear leather because of this benefit, although I think the airbags in the suits might have something to do with it.

5. Re: bike jeans 
    Diamond Member
    I doubt it makes any real difference what you are wearing if you hit a solid object at speed. The benefit in wearing leathers is their wear resistance during a slide down the road and thats why racers wear them. In years gone by, the differential between textiles and leathers in this regard was huge, now I should think that gap is much smaller, but how much I don't know. The use of modern materials and more technical knowledge about how things wear during a slide I'm sure is helping to bridge the gap including the use of kevlar.

Airbags would work equally as well with textiles as with leather - there are quite a few over jackets already available.

6. Re: bike jeans 
    I was going down the textile road because there more breathable than my leather jeans ,well my jeans are falling to bits lol so there a few vents in them now lol ,im wondering how much protection my cordura wet gear would provide in a spill? i found some buffalow jeans with ce knee and hip pads,1.5 mm with double stiched seams and reinforced butt lol need that with me for £90 new .hopefully it will zip to my jacket ok .

7. Re: bike jeans 
    I slid down the road in my textiles in January and you wouldn't even know...admittedly only a 15mph ish slide but no marks whatsoever.

Just as well really because it was the 2nd time I'd worn them since new..
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

8. Re: bike jeans 
    They weren't designed for ice skating Dabz! ;D

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

9. Re: bike jeans 
    Odd..... I made the same joke.... and the post has vanished???? :-? Bloody computers.

Ice isn't known for it's abrasive properties!!!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

10. Re: bike jeans 
    I have draggin jeans that i wear quite often and i love them. They fit really well and granted there isnt much padding for when you have impact but they will protect again the gravel for sure. the Kevlar insets in the draggin jeans is in all the right spots and because of the extra layer the jeans are quite warm.

Im wearing them in my avatar pic