Notices

Thread: Horticulture advise on growing grass! LOL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: Horticulture advise on growing grass! LOL 

hmm I thought about turf as it will be quicker and I should be able to ride over it pretty quickly on the bike I guess? but I really wanted to use seed (God knows why!!)

It's not birds I worry about in my garden but CATS and in particular the poo It's just vile.

Bloody things!

Roxy xxx

2. Re: Horticulture advise on growing grass! LOL 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by roxychick
    hmm I thought about turf as it will be quicker and I should be able to ride over it pretty quickly on the bike I guess? but I really wanted to use seed (God knows why!!)

It's not birds I worry about in my garden but CATS and in particular the poo It's just vile.
    Bloody things!
    Roxy xxx
    How can you possibly say that about one of Gods most lovely creatures K ?

They are cute and cuddly and just so intelligent and awesome, especially the little baby kittens who are so much fun with their jumping and playing and being lovely - I love them, even the ones that poo in the garden, and it’s good for the plants and everything.

You only have to hold one in your hand with their tiny little noses and cute little eyes to fall in love with them forever. I would fill my house with the little cuties if the Landlord wasn’t such a nasty cat hating person.

Shame on you I say K, shame on you.

Lovely Gerry :P

3. Re: Horticulture advise on growing grass! LOL 
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry
    [quote author=roxychick link=1313532693/10#10 date=1313573698]

Bloody things!
    Roxy xxx
    How can you possibly say that about one of Gods most lovely creatures K ?

They are cute and cuddly and just so intelligent and awesome, especially the little baby kittens who are so much fun with their jumping and playing and being lovely - I love them, even the ones that poo in the garden, and it’s good for the plants and everything.

You only have to hold one in your hand with their tiny little noses and cute little eyes to fall in love with them forever. I would fill my house with the little cuties if the Landlord wasn’t such a nasty cat hating person.

Shame on you I say K, shame on you.

Lovely Gerry :P
    [/quote]

TURNCOAT!!

I see exactly what you are doing Simpson!

Good cop/Bad cop huh :-?...you've shown your true dark side and people know the real G now so stop back tracking!! ;D

Roxy xx

4. Re: Horticulture advise on growing grass! LOL 
    Have you thought about covering that area with artificial grass. Very sturdy, would stand up to the bike going over it and easy to clean should one of those horrid feline creatures leave you one of their gifts.

5. Re: Horticulture advise on growing grass! LOL 
    Diamond Member
    Thats a good idea from DD. You could also put some rubber matting down where the bike goes so grass grows though it but you won't end up with bare patches.

6. Re: Horticulture advise on growing grass! LOL 
    artificial grass gets VERY slippery when wet though, not great on a slope for a bike :/
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

7. Re: Horticulture advise on growing grass! LOL 
    :-/ not keen or the artificial stuff, I know it can be slippy when wet so I'll stick to the real green stuff.

I like to mow a lawn you know!

8. Re: Horticulture advise on growing grass! LOL 
    Platinum Member
    Growing from seed is the best, cheapest but also the most labour intensive.
    I have used all methods and in my opinion if something is worth doing it's worth doing well - therefore grass seed all the way!
    1. Rotovate - hire for the weekend.
    2. Take all stones / rocks & clay out.
    3. Break down top 4 inches to a fine tilth.
    4. Roll top with roller.
    5. Seed & water.
    6. Water every evening with a sprinkler.
    7. Within a couple of weeks it will start to cover and within 4 weeks it will be a nice green mass.
    8. Fill in gaps with seed & water daily.
    9. Hey presto - your own lawn that YOU have grown.

Seeded is a much better option than turf - the rewards far outweigh the efforts!
    Best of luck - whatever you decide to go with!

9. Re: Horticulture advise on growing grass! LOL 
    Diamond Member
    What size area you looking to cover.

Turf is the better way to go. Best time to lay turf is September. Growth rate slows due to coming into winter months also need alot of water. Rain & more rain during winter.
    Got my Turf from.
    Norbin Farm, Norbin, Box, Corsham, Wiltshire SN13 8JJ
    01225 866907

10. Re: Horticulture advise on growing grass! LOL 
    I've been trying to get my lawn looking good for years. I feed and water it and at the end of the summer it looks great. By mid autumn it looks awful and it's down to some bloody Leylandii trees sucking all the moisture out of the ground. I've written to the council and got no reply.
    Anyone got a chainsaw?