Disagree Dabz - there's no 'easy' way so to speak, but there are different routes than just going to your bank and asking for a mortgage.

With Jen being a teacher,we have acess to a whole range of mortgage products and low rate mortgages through keyworker schemes, plus there is the Teachers Building Society who will still do 0% deposit mortgages for teachers. There are also part buy-part rent, shared ownership etc.

Lots of ways to make it easier to take that first step

Star is right in that if you do anything illegal, then it's a criminal act. But GDs aren't illegal. They're just one of lot's of ways round that first hurdle if the circumstances are right. If you imagine the scnario where you know your house has a market of value of X, but you want it shifted fast (perhaps you need the money, can't keep up the payments, moving abroad etc), then you would accept Y for it for a quick sale. We have no chain so we would be ideal candidates to look for that kind of deal.

Banks happy that the house is worth more so LTV is still fine. Buyer, seller, solicitors & surveyors are all in on the transaction so all good.

It's not right for everyone, but personally, I would rather save the £10k (or whatever it is) and use that towards our childrens futures etc so it's worth seeking out those properties.

If you've gone the traditional route, then I guess it's a bit frustrating to see people benefitting from loopholes in the system, but that doesn't mean it's wrong. So long as you're happy with your house, and the deal you got, that's all that's important. I just thought I'd share it as others may benefit from knowing about a possible option. If it's not for you, then you need not worry! 8-)