Notices

Thread: Good riddance News of the World!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: Good riddance News of the World! 
    I don't really trust any of the "biggies" paperwise, think they're all in some funny-hand-shake club, along with the dodgy MP's and high up bank managers.... SF, agree though, they print stuff that people will want to read, gloss it up, whatever, the paper sold, and sold well.... my take? where is "have i got news for you" when you need it??? I'd love to see what Paul Merton and Ian Hislop would have to say about it.. (or another "victim" of NOTW - Angus Deayton!) ;D ;D ;D

2. Re: Good riddance News of the World! 
    Didn't buy one.... never bought it, never will. It seemed to me that Shutting the paper 5 years after the event is somthing along the line of "shutting the stable door after the horse has feked off". This has more to do with BSky B than the News of the World.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

3. Re: Good riddance News of the World! 
    Diamond Member
    S F, I have to disagree with your comments regarding the NOTW’s coverage of the tragic death of Sarah Payne in July 2000. You may recall that the rag led a campaign for a change in the law (“Sarah’s Law”). In essence, introduction of such a law would have meant that residents with children would have had the right to access information relating to the names and addresses of known paedophiles living in their locale.

In my view, the tactics adopted by the rag to bring pressure to bear on the government of the day was one of the most irresponsible examples of journalism I have ever seen. As part of its “name and shame,” policy the NOTW published the names and photographs of 49 sex offenders.

As a direct result of the NOTW action, lynch-mobs across the country decided to take the law in to their own hands. I remember watching the reports of numerous cases of misidentification, where innocent people were terrorised by the mobs. 60 people waving banners and shouting abuse attacked a house in Plymouth. The mob threw paint at the house which they had mistaken for the home of a paedophile. The family with small children were moved for their own safety. In another case, a man from Manchester was attacked by his neighbours who thought he was one of the 49 individuals named in the paper. Even the “Victims of Crime Trust” condemned the NOTW’s campaign.

Ironically, MPs opposed to the proposed “Sarah’s Law” repeatedly referred to the NOTW article as ammunition to further their argument against its introduction.

4. Re: Good riddance News of the World! 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinb
    [quote author=ChrisJo link=1310061242/17#17 date=1310377920][quote author=Kevinb link=1310061242/16#16 date=1310370957]Yep saw lots of people (I use this word loosely) buying it in Tesco's yesterday. I'll stick with the Sunday Times (Yes some Sunday papers still have proper news in them

Sunday Times is from the same stable. NoW will be back as somethjing else in a short time...
    [/quote]

Yes produced by the same group but worlds apart in quality. You are right it will be back in another form. They are probably re employing most of the same journalists right now[/quote]

Kev, did you see what former PM Brown had to say about Murdoch's Times on the BBC news last night?

5. Re: Good riddance News of the World! 
    Quote Originally Posted by monday21
    [quote author=Kevinb link=1310061242/19#19 date=1310387303][quote author=ChrisJo link=1310061242/17#17 date=1310377920][quote author=Kevinb link=1310061242/16#16 date=1310370957]Yep saw lots of people (I use this word loosely) buying it in Tesco's yesterday. I'll stick with the Sunday Times (Yes some Sunday papers still have proper news in them

Sunday Times is from the same stable. NoW will be back as somethjing else in a short time...
    [/quote]

Yes produced by the same group but worlds apart in quality. You are right it will be back in another form. They are probably re employing most of the same journalists right now[/quote]

Kev, did you see what former PM Brown had to say about Murdoch's Times on the BBC news last night?[/quote]
    Yes. I think I will stick with the Wiltshire Times or give up on newspapers all together

6. Re: Good riddance News of the World! 
    Platinum Member
    The Saga keeps on going.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14180043

The big question for News International did his staff hack the phones of the 911 victims? America will not mess around.

7. Re: Good riddance News of the World! 
    Diamond Member
    I suspect this news item has a long journey ahead, during whicj it will almost undoubtedly be uncovered that all the newspapers are doing this. Fingers are already being pointed at The Sun & The Guardian and others will follow suit when people realise the only way the papers could have got hold of some of their stories is if they had hacked their phones/emails

8. Re: Good riddance News of the World! 
    ;D chief plod resigns ???????????? free stay in expensive health spa ???????????? list of freebies ???????? 'fresh pair of eyes needed' so promote the deputy ;D £1000 day of taxpayers cash to some PR ex NOTW bloke ???????

Plod is also investigating errrrr Plod

The fan has been well and truly covered ;D

I need amusement in my sad life and it looks, very much, like you fit this requirement admirably..............begin the amusement!!!!!

9. Re: Good riddance News of the World! 
    I'd go with that.... it is hitting the fan and spraying everywhere.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

10. Re: Good riddance News of the World! 
    Diamond Member
    Gonna watch the news to see who else has fallen on her/his sword. Expect to see some big-hitters from the murky world of politics to bite the dust in the forthcoming days/weeks

Cameron?