Notices

Thread: Good riddance News of the World!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: Good riddance News of the World! 
    Alas Ken I cannot agree. The people being punished are the current staff who are all now out of a job. The perpetrators of the crimes committed are still in employment and being backed by the management.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

2. Re: Good riddance News of the World! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    Alas Ken I cannot agree. The people being punished are the current staff who are all now out of a job. The perpetrators of the crimes committed are still in employment and being backed by the management.
    Yes I feel sorry for the staff approx 1400 will be out of a job and it will be hard to find another with 'News of the World' on their CV's.
    Was never a news paper just 'Over the fence gossip' with the only real use being somewhere for your hamster or gerbil to cr*p on.

If it is true they tapped into greaving families phones then prison sentences should be the order of the day.

3. Re: Good riddance News of the World! 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    Sorry Jon, I failed to mention that the honest NOTW foot soldiers are the victims of the closure while the former Editor, Rebekah Brooks is still picking up her fat salary. ‘The little man’ always gets it in the neck. >

Keep it a secret but, my curiosity got the better of me today and when my boss was not about I took a sneak preview of the NOTW’s sister paper, The Sun. In the true spirit of the tabloid and I suspect as a ploy to put some distance between the rag and its sibling, a bit of benefit cheat bashing was the editorial lead. Surprise, surprise, no mention of the NOTW fiasco. I don’t think Murdoch will pull the wool over his readers’ eyes with this one – “If you fly with the crows, you get shot with the crows.”

4. Re: Good riddance News of the World! 
    The Sunday Sun will be the same **** with a different name. Sometimes the news of the screws undertook proper investigative journalism and exposed true corruption, other times it was entrapment (get Fergie pissed and dangle a £500k carrot in front of her), and the rest of the time it was intrusive and inappropriate dirt-digging purely for sensationalist headlines to sell what I refer to advisedly as a "newspaper". Given the chance I'd chain the entire editorial team together (including Cameron's lackey who's been arrested) in orange Guantanamo suits and have them out cleaning ditches, in full view for the public to see and hurl abuse at. Just another part of Murdoch's evil empire > ****ers > > >
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

5. Re: Good riddance News of the World! 
    Diamond Member
    Nip out early peeps and make sure you get a copy of the last edition of the 'News of The World' Murdoch's giving away a free mobile phone with every paper.

Word of advice - make sure you change the sim card. ;D

6. Re: Good riddance News of the World! 
    Platinum Member
    We are all forgetting the irony here...

Today as a last edition it will sell MILLIONS of copies to people who have probably never even read it before??

As much as I would like to buy one to show the great-grandchildren what toilet paper was in 2011 I will not be doing so.

Sales minimal today please!

7. Re: Good riddance News of the World! 
    Yep saw lots of people (I use this word loosely) buying it in Tesco's yesterday. I'll stick with the Sunday Times (Yes some Sunday papers still have proper news in them

8. Re: Good riddance News of the World! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinb
    Yep saw lots of people (I use this word loosely) buying it in Tesco's yesterday. I'll stick with the Sunday Times (Yes some Sunday papers still have proper news in them

Sunday Times is from the same stable. NoW will be back as somethjing else in a short time...

9. Re: Good riddance News of the World! 
    Diamond Member
    I bought a copy.

For all the negativity the paper receives, it has done some good, interesting investigative journalism over the years. I read the Sunday Times as well, but sometimes you want a more light hearted look at life.

What the 'journalists' did in respect of the current headlines is attrocious, but it should be their heads on the block, not everyone elses at the paper.

Reading through Sundays edition, I can remember some of the good stuff they have covered and exposed over the years. But are they really to blame for what they print, or is it the public who buy it in their droves? If nobody wanted to read the trashy stuff, they wouldn't buy it and thus it wouldn't get printed. I couldn't care less about which celeb is snorting coke, and which star is having an affair with a 2 foot midget, high on crack and wearing suspenders. But the stories around Sarah Payne, Huntley etc that have genuinly uncovered newsworthy stories, were worth reading.

People are very quick to forget the good works that are produced, when it's overshadowed by such poor practice by a handful of individuals unfit to call themselves journalists.

10. Re: Good riddance News of the World! 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJo
    [quote author=Kevinb link=1310061242/16#16 date=1310370957]Yep saw lots of people (I use this word loosely) buying it in Tesco's yesterday. I'll stick with the Sunday Times (Yes some Sunday papers still have proper news in them

Sunday Times is from the same stable. NoW will be back as somethjing else in a short time...
    [/quote]

Yes produced by the same group but worlds apart in quality. You are right it will be back in another form. They are probably re employing most of the same journalists right now