Notices

Thread: Government Priorities...?

1. Government Priorities...? 
    What is our sad country coming to eh? On the day that hundreds of matelots get given their notice after sterling service to the country, the Tories pander to the Daily Mail readers and find £250,000,000 to collect their sodding bins on a weekly basis? How many jobs in the public sector - Police, Education, Health Service, Military - would that have saved? Disgraceful > > >
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

2. Re: Government Priorities...? 
    Diamond Member
    +1
    What I don't understand is that the fortnightly collection worked because people like me recycled more. Even after two weeks my bin was never full. Just don't make sense.

3. Re: Government Priorities...? 
    Diamond Member
    And another +1 from me. Have used the two week system for years and it works just fine.

4. Re: Government Priorities...? 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    What is our sad country coming to eh? On the day that hundreds of matelots get given their notice after sterling service to the country, the Tories pander to the Daily Mail readers and find £250,000,000 to collect their sodding bins on a weekly basis? How many jobs in the public sector - Police, Education, Health Service, Military - would that have saved? Disgraceful > > >
    List if government priorities:
    1. Getting re-elected
    2. Staying in power
    3. Getting more votes

I agree its completely disgusting what they've done... all for bins! What I don't get is why, instead of giving everybody 10 bins and having them all collected 3 times a week why they don't just start charging companies for any packaging they use per gram, they would kill multipul birds with1 stone.
    1. Companies reduce ammounts of packaging - saves pollution and reduces waste, meanng less frequent bin collection is needed.
    2. Produces income for the country - you can't get rid of packaging completely so they will have to pay a certain ammount .
    3. Although there is a charge for packaging goods prices will go down because companies will realize how much money they are wasting on packaging and thus will bring it down to a minimum!
    Its a win win win situation as far as I can see... but I am very short sighted :P

5. Re: Government Priorities...? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoYou
    [quote author=Scotty link=1317420915/0#0 date=1317420915]What is our sad country coming to eh? On the day that hundreds of matelots get given their notice after sterling service to the country, the Tories pander to the Daily Mail readers and find £250,000,000 to collect their sodding bins on a weekly basis? How many jobs in the public sector - Police, Education, Health Service, Military - would that have saved? Disgraceful > > >
    List if government priorities:
    1. Getting re-elected
    2. Staying in power
    3. Getting more votes

I agree its completely disgusting what they've done... all for bins! What I don't get is why, instead of giving everybody 10 bins and having them all collected 3 times a week why they don't just start charging companies for any packaging they use per gram, they would kill multipul birds with1 stone.
    1. Companies reduce ammounts of packaging - saves pollution and reduces waste, meanng less frequent bin collection is needed.
    2. Produces income for the country - you can't get rid of packaging completely so they will have to pay a certain ammount .
    3. Although there is a charge for packaging goods prices will go down because companies will realize how much money they are wasting on packaging and thus will bring it down to a minimum!
    Its a win win win situation as far as I can see... but I am very short sighted :P [/quote]

Simple - politicians don't run the country - Big business does.

6. Re: Government Priorities...? 
    Platinum Member
    Unfortuantly that's true ken, but we can always live in hope!

7. Re: Government Priorities...? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoYou
    Unfortuantly that's true ken, but we can always live in hope!
    Ye you are right though, Easter Eggs are a classic example of OTT packaging.

8. Re: Government Priorities...? 
    Platinum Member
    Well you can look at almost anythng and find unnecessary packaging... I bought some mince meat the other day and got, a celefane wrapping, with a styrafoam tray and some sort of foam piece under the mince... what was wrong with storing it in a cooler and wrapping it in paper when I've decided how much I want?! Bring back butchers! RAWR protest RAWR! ;D