Notices

Thread: Raising the Motorway speed limit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: Raising the Motorway speed limit. 
    Platinum Member
    Well the other thing to think about is that by raising the speed limit, you also increase stopping distance, (sorry for contradicting myself that eighth pint seems to have altered my judgment!) Although cars/bikes can stop in the same distance now from 80-0 and they could 10 years ago for 70-0, probaby even less, the thinking/reaction time people need is increased at 80 so you will need the same if not a larger gap between vehicles which obv people will ignore thus pogtentialyh causing a high accident risk

2. Re: Raising the Motorway speed limit. 
    Platinum Member
    I don't think it'll make one bit of difference, most people ignore the limits anyway (as long as Plod's not about) and drive how they please, some at 55, some at 95.

I'd like to see big fines for tailgating and also fines/compulsory re-training for poor lane discipline, can't enforce those easily with cameras though so that won't happen.
    www.shinybikesyndrome.co.uk - Protection through innovation

3. Re: Raising the Motorway speed limit. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nooj
    I don't think it'll make one bit of difference, most people ignore the limits anyway (as long as Plod's not about) and drive how they please, some at 55, some at 95.

I'd like to see big fines for tailgating and also fines/compulsory re-training for poor lane discipline, can't enforce those easily with cameras though so that won't happen.
    With you there... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

4. Re: Raising the Motorway speed limit. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nooj

+1.

I don't think it's the cars that are the issue here, more the pink fleshy thing behind the wheel. Unfortunatly that hasn't evolved over the past 20 years and is far more prone to failure!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

5. Re: Raising the Motorway speed limit. 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    [quote author=Nooj link=1317389942/11#11 date=1317428203]I don't think it'll make one bit of difference, most people ignore the limits anyway (as long as Plod's not about) and drive how they please, some at 55, some at 95.

+1.

I don't think it's the cars that are the issue here, more the pink fleshy thing behind the wheel. Unfortunatly that hasn't evolved over the past 20 years and is far more prone to failure![/quote]

Good point Jon and of course there is a much bigger volume of traffic using the motorway network now.

In my view, there is a clear Bottom line here – The Tories are nervously looking over their shoulders at the next election and need to start deflecting public attention from all the cuts. A few popular sweeteners might just do the trick.

6. Re: Raising the Motorway speed limit. 
    Absolutely.

I'm suprised you seemed to be falling for this 'crumb of goodnes thrown to the masses' Ken. I took you as a far more hardened cynic on these matters?
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

7. Re: Raising the Motorway speed limit. 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    Absolutely.

I'm suprised you seemed to be falling for this 'crumb of goodnes thrown to the masses' Ken. I took you as a far more hardened cynic on these matters?
    Jon, I will be able to get to London quicker to attend the pending demos. :P ;D