Notices

Thread: Raising the Motorway speed limit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Raising the Motorway speed limit. 
    Check it out. Was a soundbite made years ago, but never thought it would re-surface.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15116064

Watch this space.....
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

2. Re: Raising the Motorway speed limit. 
    it'd be great to have it raised, though I don't see how it fits with the reduction in co2 emissions targets!
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

3. Re: Raising the Motorway speed limit. 
    Platinum Member
    Good to see them updated a limit put in years ago, when 70mph WAS testing your engine & brakes!

Everyone drives at 80mph anyways, wont change things, just means less speeding tickets.

4. Re: Raising the Motorway speed limit. 
    Higher ;D

5. Re: Raising the Motorway speed limit. 
    I like the German approach of as fast as you want on the Autobahn unless signed , but exceed posted limits - normally around turn offs or near city limits- at your peril! That said they also stipulate that anything over 130kph in an accident and the liability goes more your way if you survive that is!

They also go to town doubling fines and points for anyone speeding through areas with work forces in the road to protect them a bit more too... A great idea IMO .

That said it was always a little worrying when I had the throttle of my cbr6 pinned , laying on the tank doing 160mph clock speed , when some loon in a big merc-BMW- Audi came racing up behind flashing to get by and caning onwards at warp factor zehn!

The other side of the speed limit increase , I believe, is an increase in more 20mph residential zones, also a good idea if adhered to

6. Re: Raising the Motorway speed limit. 
    Diamond Member
    Can't believe I support one of the Tory proposals - never been 80mph on the Fazer before :P

7. Re: Raising the Motorway speed limit. 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by monday21
    Can't believe I support one of the Tory proposals - never been 80mph on the Fazer before :P
    The trick is to use the clutch and pop it into second ;D

8. Re: Raising the Motorway speed limit. 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
    [quote author=monday21 link=1317389942/5#5 date=1317420970]Can't believe I support one of the Tory proposals - never been 80mph on the Fazer before :P
    The trick is to use the clutch and pop it into second ;D
    [/quote]

Oh that's where I have gone wrong - I thought it was an automatic gear box ;D

9. Re: Raising the Motorway speed limit. 
    Platinum Member
    Tbh the current speed limits are vastly outdated, although you still have older cars on the roads, a huge ammount of more modern cars and bikes vasly outperform, in both handling and breaking and safety, the cars that were arround when the speed limits were decided.
    And somthing like say... a DB9, can stop in under half the stopping distance the highway code dictates... obv. You can't decided the speed limit based on a car like that but I think there needs to be a revision of limits.

10. Re: Raising the Motorway speed limit. 
    Diamond Member
    The increase to 80mph on motorways is fine with me, my concern is more about the idiots who sit in the overtaking lanes with nobody on their inside and the tailgaters who sit 10ft from my rear end. An extra 10mph on the speed (in reality it will be 90mph for the faster drivers) is going to make these numpties more dangerous.