Notices

Thread: UK Leave EU?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. Re: UK Leave EU? 
    I'm rather afraid it may be too late to leave!! The EU is by far our biggest customer/market. It is not only production industry that is being moved to cheaper workforces - so is our hyped service industry.

With the biggest part of our employment and possible growth coming from small and new businesses we cannot afford to lose our biggest market, our biggest and nearest export market. Our heavy industries which traded as world leaders were decimated in the Thatcher years.

We depend on being a part of the EU for inward investment for manufacturing from foreign countries because we gave up on our own. Plenty of famous examples - Honda in Swindon just one example.

Germany being held up as an example? Massive foreign investment and help following the last war helped rebuild their industries - The trade union bank becoming their biggest bank with the interests of it's members a driving force, state support of their revived industries - all these things combined to produce their strong economy, things we lacked - the fault is ours and our rulers, not the EU.

I don't pretend to have the answers but I don't see why we just can't take a leaf out of the French book, if we don't like an EU rule - ignore it!

2. Re: UK Leave EU? 
    :-)

3. Re: UK Leave EU? 
    Platinum Member
    I see Germany being used as example a lot recently both on here and in the news/on the radio but what none of this seems to take into account is that germany had vast ammounts of money pumped into it after the 2WW which bump started their economy and get them to where they are today, without that huge cash injection they would, even now, still be recovering.
    The rest of the EU is now heading toward a situation, much like the germans were faced with at that time, but lack the funds of other countries to get back on their feet!
    Yes we now rely on other countries imports to keep going and yes if we left the EU we potentialy loose that import, but the thing is while yes we rely on their imports, can they survive without us buyng their goods. When compared to our size/population we are one of the biggest consumers arround, we don't produce anything but we consume more than ever before.
    They my not like us pulling out of the EU but I very much doubt it would stop them selling goods to us, they cannot afford to!

4. Re: UK Leave EU? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoYou
    I see Germany being used as example a lot recently both on here and in the news/on the radio but what none of this seems to take into account is that germany had vast ammounts of money pumped into it after the 2WW which bump started their economy and get them to where they are today, without that huge cash injection they would, even now, still be recovering.
    The rest of the EU is now heading toward a situation, much like the germans were faced with at that time, but lack the funds of other countries to get back on their feet!
    Yes we now rely on other countries imports to keep going and yes if we left the EU we potentialy loose that import, but the thing is while yes we rely on their imports, can they survive without us buyng their goods. When compared to our size/population we are one of the biggest consumers arround, we don't produce anything but we consume more than ever before.
    They my not like us pulling out of the EU but I very much doubt it would stop them selling goods to us, they cannot afford to!
    So, on that basis, who needs who more? Not a good economic platform being a net importer. If we leave the EU, our service industry would suffer enormously in my view and since we don't manufacture much anymore, where is the revenue going to come from for us to buy all these imports? If we're broke, we can't buy anything so the EU would just carry on without the UK's involvement. I think we need Europe more than Europe needs us.

5. Re: UK Leave EU? 
    Banned
    Looks like Germany might be going back to the Mark

Germany To Leave The Euro?
    http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=195126

6. Re: UK Leave EU? 
    Diamond Member
    That rumour has been around for years, even I remember it

7. Re: UK Leave EU? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
    That rumour has been around for years, even I remember it
    Graeme, I doubt that the German people will continue to support a bail-out of countries such as Greece. I don't think it is a matter of if the Euro collapses but when.

8. Re: UK Leave EU? 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme

So, on that basis, who needs who more? Not a good economic platform being a net importer. If we leave the EU, our service industry would suffer enormously in my view and since we don't manufacture much anymore, where is the revenue going to come from for us to buy all these imports? If we're broke, we can't buy anything so the EU would just carry on without the UK's involvement. I think we need Europe more than Europe needs us.
    Oh no doubt its a bad situation to be in, but is it any worse than the situation we will be in with the EU 10 years from now?
    Thr way I see it, one way or another, we ned to restart production in the UK. So long as our consumption outweighs our production to the extent that it does currently, I very much doubt we will get very far.
    You ask where the funds to continue importing will come from if we leave the EU? The question you should be asking is where are the funds coming from now?! The awnser is... nowhere... we have no money yet we carry on like nothing is wrong through a combination of tea and tutting!
    We have no money yet we manage to ****inue spending it!
    Although we may be in a bad situation and maybe a slightly worse situation if we leave the EU, will our situation not get even worse by remaining part of thr EU? Even now greece is awaiting the EU to turn arround and ignore the vast ammount of money that greece owes in debts, although it may not be affecting us is a great way at current you have to wonder how long it will be before it does!
    By leave the EU now instead of waiting for it to collapse of its own accord we can potentialy get our economy sorted out much sooner, just a small exanple of the potential we are wasting in the country is with farms, we have vast ammounts of farm land that is completely unused, and what is used much of everything that is produced goes unused! If we took advantage of all that england had to offer us and stopped paving over it to make homes for the people flocking over from the rest of the EU we would very quickly become a self sufficient country again. Once we get there we can then start producing products for export again and get back to earning the title of GREAT Britian!

9. Re: UK Leave EU? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoYou
    [quote author=BMWGraeme link=1317244098/33#33 date=1317418047]

Oh no doubt its a bad situation to be in, but is it any worse than the situation we will be in with the EU 10 years from now?
    Thr way I see it, one way or another, we ned to restart production in the UK. So long as our consumption outweighs our production to the extent that it does currently, I very much doubt we will get very far.
    You ask where the funds to continue importing will come from if we leave the EU? The question you should be asking is where are the funds coming from now?! The awnser is... nowhere... we have no money yet we carry on like nothing is wrong through a combination of tea and tutting!
    We have no money yet we manage to ****inue spending it!
    Although we may be in a bad situation and maybe a slightly worse situation if we leave the EU, will our situation not get even worse by remaining part of thr EU? Even now greece is awaiting the EU to turn arround and ignore the vast ammount of money that greece owes in debts, although it may not be affecting us is a great way at current you have to wonder how long it will be before it does!
    By leave the EU now instead of waiting for it to collapse of its own accord we can potentialy get our economy sorted out much sooner, just a small exanple of the potential we are wasting in the country is with farms, we have vast ammounts of farm land that is completely unused, and what is used much of everything that is produced goes unused! If we took advantage of all that england had to offer us and stopped paving over it to make homes for the people flocking over from the rest of the EU we would very quickly become a self sufficient country again. Once we get there we can then start producing products for export again and get back to earning the title of GREAT Britian![/quote]

George, your optimistic enthusiasm is a credit to you.....can you bottle some of it up and send it by courier to a cynical old fart? That would be me by the way

10. Re: UK Leave EU? 
    Diamond Member
    I thought the anti-EU camp are the cynics