Notices

Thread: Are things changing?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: Are things changing? 
    Banned
    The police are forgetting that they are part of the 99%

http://www.news.com.au/top-stories/o...-1226172791776

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rxnQFO6048M#!

2. Re: Are things changing? 
    Platinum Member
    Looks like St Pauls have been leaned on

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-15406865

This comment says it all really

The list of sponsors of the Cathedral include:
    Lloyds TSB Group plc
    City of London Corporation
    The Schroder Foundation
    Goldman Sachs International
    UBS Investment Bank
    McKinsey & Company
    N M Rothschild & Sons Ltd
    The London Stock Exchange
    Not to mention their 5.3 billion hedge fund managed investments.
    Symbolically St Pauls is an entirely appropriate place to occupy.

3. Re: Are things changing? 
    i didnt pay enough attention at shcool and am really thick when it comes to politics and such like.

i wouldnt understand 90% of what is going on in this thread.

but all i know is im fed up with having my life made worse and worse and there are still ppl out there that get EVERYTHING FOR NOTHING.

sorry if this isnt the point that was being talked about here.

i called the council office otherday because im struggling to meet my council tax payments each month......i basically got told to f off and stop whinging. the woman was very rude aswell....she said i shoud do more and earn more. ( at this point my girlfriend ripped the phone from me incase i let loose my rage about what the woman had said)

rich get richer poor get poorer.............and i dont see how its going to change.

what i say needs to happen is the average joe should bring england to a grinding holt. and MAKE them listen.

is this likley to happen via politics alone? doubt it. if i had my way id grab the MP's lock them in a room of wild hyienas that have not seen food for 4 2 months!!!

4. Re: Are things changing? 
    Diamond Member
    A couple of years ago, Susan a good friend of mine who is a cleaner for a multi-million pounds profitable company, told me a story which sticks in my mind. As she was vacuuming the last couple of treads at the bottom of the staircase leading to the main offices, one of the directors of the company was making his way down.

Susan looked up and noticed that he was eating a cake and the crumbs were falling all the way down the stairwell. Looking up at the director, she said “I’ve just hoovered all that, could you not use a plate?” To her astonishment, he retorted, “Think yourself lucky, if it was not for people like me people like you wouldn’t have a job.”

I suggested to Susan, that the next time she sees her boss she should politely advise him that: One day, ‘people like me’ might just get fed up with watching ‘people like you’ eat your cake while we Hoover up your crumbs. I don’t know why Susan laughed because I wasn’t joking.

5. Re: Are things changing? 
    Platinum Member
    NiteW4tcher it looks to me like you understand what is going on

More links

It's important to get your news from more than one source
    http://english.aljazeera.net/Service...0wall%20street

Live footage
    http://www.livestream.com/guide/sear...0wall%20street

http://www.occupytogether.org/

6. Re: Are things changing? 
    Diamond Member
    Thanks for the link Taffy - gonna make contact with the organisers - would love to be a tiny part of the beginning of the end of profit before people world. :P

7. Re: Are things changing? 
    The fact is these protests will diminish and nothing will happen simply because the majority of the 99% are too comfortable in their status quo.

Until a majority are in real poverty then the 'establishment' will remain and continue.

This has been repeated throughout history of which the most global example was the rise of Hitler in poverty stricken, high inflation, Germany. The mass poverty galvanised the Germans to support a man saying what they wanted to hear in a forceful and commanding manner and focussing blame on the Jews which in turn escalated to everyone else pretty much ;D The military, no more than a puppet army after WW1, saw this opportunity to regain lost honour and for Germany to become ,through acquisition of countries, the dominant power.

Is the pub open ?---ahhh yes it is ;D
    I need amusement in my sad life and it looks, very much, like you fit this requirement admirably..............begin the amusement!!!!!

8. Re: Are things changing? 
    Diamond Member
    Col, you must remember that protesters of the past never had such an effective communications link like the internet. I missed an anti-poll tax demo because I got the date wrong, but now I can make contact with anyone around the world at anytime. These protests may be small ('oak trees grow from acorns'), but when did we last see a global demo with a common aim.

As a matter of interest, the majority of the world’s population is living in poverty. Half the US defence budget would pay for free drinking water for everyone in Africa.

9. Re: Are things changing? 
    Banned
    The directors of Britain's largest companies were last night condemned as "elite greedy pigs" for pocketing a 49 per cent pay rise in the past year, while average workers failed even to keep up with inflation.

Unions exploded with fury after the publication of figures that showed how boardroom pay soared in the last financial year, thanks to rising salaries, bonuses and in particular the swelling value of directors' long-term share plans. The statistics, compiled by Incomes Data Services, provide an annual snapshot of executive remuneration, as reported in companies' most recent reports to shareholders, and show that the chief executives of the FTSE 100 largest companies earned an average of £3,855,172 last year. That is an average 43 per cent rise and, adding in other directors, total earnings rose by an average 49 per cent.

They are taking the piss :-/

10. Re: Are things changing? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny
    The directors of Britain's largest companies were last night condemned as "elite greedy pigs" for pocketing a 49 per cent pay rise in the past year, while average workers failed even to keep up with inflation.

Unions exploded with fury after the publication of figures that showed how boardroom pay soared in the last financial year, thanks to rising salaries, bonuses and in particular the swelling value of directors' long-term share plans. The statistics, compiled by Incomes Data Services, provide an annual snapshot of executive remuneration, as reported in companies' most recent reports to shareholders, and show that the chief executives of the FTSE 100 largest companies earned an average of £3,855,172 last year. That is an average 43 per cent rise and, adding in other directors, total earnings rose by an average 49 per cent.

They are taking the piss :-/
    Ye Swanny, read the article to which you refer in the newspaper.

Let’s hope that ‘Joe Public’ is as sympathetic towards the ground troops when they engage in the “What’s good for the goose is good for the gander” battle. After all, “We are all in this together.”
    [smiley=thumbsup.gif]