Notices

Thread: Gym bunnies - good deal on....

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Gym bunnies - good deal on.... 
    Diamond Member
    Hizzy - appreciate the offer, but having been positively embarrased this morning by the other ladies in my cardio blast class, I'm not sure I can handle any more humiliation! ;D

Actually sod it. Bring it on!

2. Re: Gym bunnies - good deal on.... 
    Diamond Member
    Why don't you guy's have a runout before the next rideout ;D

I have not been able to run for months now following a stress fracture of my left heel I did'nt know I had Just re-starting light work on the treadmill now
    but frankly I hate the damn machine, so sticking with the bike, cross trainer, rower and my "natural" habitat, the swimming pool which is the best for us old'uns for non-impact exercise ;D

As other have said, a healthy diet is all most people need. We don't sell any supplements at any of our gyms due to the long term health implications if they are not used correctly, which is often the case in reality. This is despite the revenue we know we are losing by taking this stance. The balance with what you put in, what you do with it and what you get out of it is key to your health

3. Re: Gym bunnies - good deal on.... 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
    The balance with what you put in, what you do with it and what you get out of it is key to your health
    Definately agree!

The supplements market is packed full of strange potions and powders that make big promises and usually deliver little if any results.

That said however, if you are trying to put on muscle, then you do need to increase your protein and creatine intake. This can come from natural sources (chicken/tuna etc for protein, and beef etc for creatine).

A healthy diet is great, but most people don't realise how much extra you have to eat to put muscle on. Ignore my curent physique for a moment as I did do a number of years of 'proper training' when I was younger, and was fortunate enough to do a training nutrition course as well. It's actually quite difficult (and expensive!) to eat what you are supposed to eat every day (yes - every day!) to actually lose weight and put on muscle at the recommended rates.

Here's an example diet plan (supplement free) that you would follow if you want to do it properly....

Wake 6.30 am Strong black tea / coffee
    40-50 mins low intensity cardio

7.30 breakfast Porridge: 30g oats + skimmed milk + tsp sugar
    3 egg whites + 1 egg yolk scrambled
    200ml fresh fruit juice

10.00 100g chicken breast
    2 oatcakes
    Fruit
    Mug green tea

12.30 180g tuna or mackerel salmon or chicken breast
    30g wholemeal pasta or basmati rice
    Large mixed salad
    Mug green tea

15.00 100g chicken breast
    2 oatcakes
    Fruit
    Mug green tea

45 mins pre-workout 20g whey protein powder in water
    2 oatcakes
    Banana
    Drink water

45 mins intense weight training

Immediately post workout 40g whey protein powder + 5g glutamine in water

Evening meal
    60 mins later 150g lean red meat or 180g salmon steak
    40g wholemeal pasta or 40g basmati rice or 2-3 small boiled new potatoes
    Large serving mixed vegetables

Bedtime 200g cottage cheese

The only supplement (and protein isn't really a supplement - it's a base part of a training diet) is before & after weights, to help your body re-build what it's lost through the tearing of the muscle fibres during weights. And if you don't need protein to recover, you haven't been lifting heavy enough weights!

If anyone is interested in reading more on the subject, I use another forum called muscletalk. It's a bit like WBers for people who train (ie it's mostly friendly people and a good atmosphere!). There are loads of good articles on there, about everything from diet plans, fat burners, steroid use (they don't encourage it, but they do give you factual info, not the goverment created rubbish you get from Frank) to training ideas, how to improve physique etc.

Worth a look if you're at all interested in any of this.

4. Re: Gym bunnies - good deal on.... 
    Sod putting mass on ... I'm big enough as it is thanks! I don't want to look like some kind of butch b1tch ! At 12 and a half stone and 5ft11 I'm more than carrying enough weight.

I've never been one to weigh my food like that, I know I eat in proportion to what I am burning. I have Coeliacs Disease so cannot 'Carb load' on pasta nor eat bread or even bloody oats so dipped there already.

I have to eat a careful gluten free diet as Coeliacs Disease is an Auto Immune Disease of all bloody things, so when I eat the wrong food or it gets contaminated the world falls apart and my own immune system drops (I had an attack this week by buying something that had been prepared alongside none GF food) it upset my tummy etc and then I had 3 days of a cold or something until my immune system got back up.

I tend to eat lots of chicken, a bit of fish here and there, mostly prawns etc, rice, rice noodles, potatoes, red meat when I'm injured to help repair the damage, gluten free porridge for my breaky and I am a sod for snacking on chocolate, 2 or 3 bars a day sometimes depending on how much phys I've done.

I go through about 3 to 4 litres of water a day when I'm training tho mixed with squash and basically eat lots of fruit throughout the day too. I'm more of a grazer during the day with a reasonable sized meal for dinner / tea.

Thankfully the only junk I can eat is chocolate and no fast foods, no burgers, pies, cakes , biccies etc that a lot of people will guzzle away at , coming off the wheat and gluten based foods really helped with my weight loss, being a 36 inch waist once upon a time, going gluten free got me down to 33 inch waist now I'm in at 28 to 29 depending on the day I think. I had to go GF tho as it can cause serious issues if left untreated.

I think it should be more a case of eat healthy, a little of what is bad for you does you good (treats but not over the top) and a nice balanced and varied diet... I just wish I ate as much veg as I do fruit but I really don't like it.

Anyway off home I go having just finished regimental PT The one advantage of this job is that I'm paid to go to the gym in their time 8-)

5. Re: Gym bunnies - good deal on.... 
    Agreed with Hizzy. A balanced diet is the key. Equally balanced excercise. Weights will make you big, but not fit. You have to do the stamina and cardio work as well.

I tend to eat most things.... and too much!!!! Have just started on the training cycle again after an enforced year of rest. Didn't like it one bit. First time I've not done much since 15 years old!!! Noticed that putting on weight is very easy when you slow down....
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

6. Re: Gym bunnies - good deal on.... 
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed_Fly
    [quote author=BMWGraeme link=1318517286/11#11 date=1318587629]The balance with what you put in, what you do with it and what you get out of it is key to your health
    Definately agree!

The supplements market is packed full of strange potions and powders that make big promises and usually deliver little if any results.

That said however, if you are trying to put on muscle, then you do need to increase your protein and creatine intake. This can come from natural sources (chicken/tuna etc for protein, and beef etc for creatine).

A healthy diet is great, but most people don't realise how much extra you have to eat to put muscle on. Ignore my curent physique for a moment as I did do a number of years of 'proper training' when I was younger, and was fortunate enough to do a training nutrition course as well. It's actually quite difficult (and expensive!) to eat what you are supposed to eat every day (yes - every day!) to actually lose weight and put on muscle at the recommended rates.

Here's an example diet plan (supplement free) that you would follow if you want to do it properly....

Wake 6.30 am Strong black tea / coffee
    40-50 mins low intensity cardio

7.30 breakfast Porridge: 30g oats + skimmed milk + tsp sugar
    3 egg whites + 1 egg yolk scrambled
    200ml fresh fruit juice

10.00 100g chicken breast
    2 oatcakes
    Fruit
    Mug green tea

12.30 180g tuna or mackerel salmon or chicken breast
    30g wholemeal pasta or basmati rice
    Large mixed salad
    Mug green tea

15.00 100g chicken breast
    2 oatcakes
    Fruit
    Mug green tea

45 mins pre-workout 20g whey protein powder in water
    2 oatcakes
    Banana
    Drink water

45 mins intense weight training

Immediately post workout 40g whey protein powder + 5g glutamine in water

Evening meal
    60 mins later 150g lean red meat or 180g salmon steak
    40g wholemeal pasta or 40g basmati rice or 2-3 small boiled new potatoes
    Large serving mixed vegetables

Bedtime 200g cottage cheese

The only supplement (and protein isn't really a supplement - it's a base part of a training diet) is before & after weights, to help your body re-build what it's lost through the tearing of the muscle fibres during weights. And if you don't need protein to recover, you haven't been lifting heavy enough weights!

If anyone is interested in reading more on the subject, I use another forum called muscletalk. It's a bit like WBers for people who train (ie it's mostly friendly people and a good atmosphere!). There are loads of good articles on there, about everything from diet plans, fat burners, steroid use (they don't encourage it, but they do give you factual info, not the goverment created rubbish you get from Frank) to training ideas, how to improve physique etc.

Worth a look if you're at all interested in any of this.
    [/quote]

That's a daily diet is it? where is the other half of the food? more like daily torture!

Where is the daily bacon and egg butty?
    the daily choccy bar? or even the daily biscuit?

By day 3 of that type of diet I would be in tesco looking at the 1kg bars of dairy milk, and thir BLT's, and that would be on my way to burger king. There are people in 3rd world countries that eat more than that!
    Don't get confused between my personality and my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are...

7. Re: Gym bunnies - good deal on.... 
    Depends what you want to get out of it. My mate Steve has just made it as a finalist for the Mens Health cover model. He was strict as hell with his diet and training. The irony is, he didn't feel healthy at all. Now it's over he's gone back to a normal "healthy diet" and he's never looked or felt better. He might not have the 8 pack anymore but he's alot fitter.

I Train to build useful strength, doing combination rather than isolation excercises . There's a big difference between gym strength and real world strength. People think that because I have a physical job I must be fit, but the opposite is true. I train at least 3 times a week doing pilates for mobility, circuit training for cv and weights for strength. At the weekends I'm either surfing, mountain biking or snowboarding depending on the season. I eat regularly and watch my saturated fat intake and that's about it. As long as you eat real food and not that processed crap and it's pretty well ballanced, you won't go far wrong.
    Food should be a pleasure, not a chore.

8. Re: Gym bunnies - good deal on.... 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    Depends what you want to get out of it. My mate Steve has just made it as a finalist for the Mens Health cover model. He was strict as hell with his diet and training. The irony is, he didn't feel healthy at all. Now it's over he's gone back to a normal "healthy diet" and he's never looked or felt better. He might not have the 8 pack anymore but he's alot fitter.

I Train to build useful strength, doing combination rather than isolation excercises . There's a big difference between gym strength and real world strength. People think that because I have a physical job I must be fit, but the opposite is true. I train at least 3 times a week doing pilates for mobility, circuit training for cv and weights for strength. At the weekends I'm either surfing, mountain biking or snowboarding depending on the season. I eat regularly and watch my saturated fat intake and that's about it. As long as you eat real food and not that processed crap and it's pretty well ballanced, you won't go far wrong.
    Food should be a pleasure, not a chore.

Chocolate & mc donalds is my secret, and also the weekly smellyburger which is full of my own flavour And goodness.

9. Re: Gym bunnies - good deal on.... 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smellygerm

Chocolate & mc donalds is my secret, and also the weekly smellyburger which is full of my own flavour And goodness.

Your very own 'protein shake'?

10. Re: Gym bunnies - good deal on.... 
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    Protein shakes are nowhere near as good as food. A good diet will give you everything you need. The only time I use them is immediatly after doing weights and can't get protein rich food. I normally eat a can of tuna.
    Go steady with creotine. It's not meant to be used for prolonged periods.
    If you add something to your diet that is naturally produce by the body, eventually you will stop producing it.
    Do you use a tin opener first? ;D