Notices

Thread: Gym bunnies - good deal on....

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
  1. Gym bunnies - good deal on.... 
    Diamond Member
    Don't know if anyone else uses them, but My Protein have an awesome deal on at the moment - £49.99 for a 6 product bundle, enough for a whole month. SciMx & Maximuscle only give you about 20 days supply of each product in the pack, plus you'd pay more than £50 just for 2 items normally.

I only use protein & creatine normally, before cardio to stop catabolysis (as I'm trying to burn the fat, not the muscle!), and after weights to ease DOMS. But I'll be interested to see how much difference these extra bits make. The omega 3&6 oil gels should be quite useful as I normally get quite sore knees after running.

Anyway, if anyone else is interested, here is the link:

http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products...MP-_2088217506

2. Re: Gym bunnies - good deal on.... 
    Protein shakes are nowhere near as good as food. A good diet will give you everything you need. The only time I use them is immediatly after doing weights and can't get protein rich food. I normally eat a can of tuna.
    Go steady with creotine. It's not meant to be used for prolonged periods.
    If you add something to your diet that is naturally produce by the body, eventually you will stop producing it.

3. Re: Gym bunnies - good deal on.... 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    Go steady with creotine. It's not meant to be used for prolonged periods.
    If you add something to your diet that is naturally produce by the body, eventually you will stop producing it.
    +1

I always make sure I have a week off after the loading & maintenance phases.

My diet could def be better, I was saying to Dabz earlier. The shakes are much more conveniant though when you're travelling a lot which I'm doing lots of with work. But they are meant to be a supplement, not a replacement for good eating habits.

Now if only there was a beer neutraliser, that automatically killed the calories from alcohol - I would pay for that! ;D

I know no-one probably believs me now, but I used to be in good shape in my early 20's. I was training 2 or 3 times a week, and doing martial arts. Then I met a woman, settled down, got lazy, fat etc. Now I'm on a push before I hit 30 to try and undo almost 7 years of bad habits!

4. Re: Gym bunnies - good deal on.... 
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed_Fly
    I only use protein & creatine normally, before cardio to stop catabolysis (as I'm trying to burn the fat, not the muscle!), and after weights to ease DOMS.
    If you want to help DOMS then get yourself some compression gear, as you know I run Ultra Marathons and using compression gear, generally after exercise or as PJ's really help me recover, hence I can run 120 Mile weeks without feeling sore!

Head to Wiggle.co.uk hover over the run tab and select a brand called 2XU in the pop up window, I swear by 2XU - Well priced and Long lasting.
    '12 NC700X

5. Re: Gym bunnies - good deal on.... 
    Creatine is too dangerous on the kidneys etc for my liking. Having spent a fortune on protein shakes in the past I wouldn't bother now - your body gets used to whey protein very quickly. A mixed diet and protein from a mixture of meats, grains, seeds and dairy is the only decent way of doing it.

It makes me mad to think how much money I wasted in years gone by...
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

6. Re: Gym bunnies - good deal on.... 
    I will give that gear a look Ash! I wear Skinz in the winter but forget it in the warmer months... Managing 10 milers now after doing 14 milers 4 times a week round the Westbury and bratton hills before my bike accident... 6 months and still struggling to get my distance and speed back :-(

Suppliments no ta! Lots of water and good food like WB said :-) lean and trim is how I want to be, must find a way to ditch my chocolate addiction tho it's my only vice.

7. Re: Gym bunnies - good deal on.... 
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeTriple
    I will give that gear a look Ash! I wear Skinz in the winter but forget it in the warmer months... Managing 10 milers now after doing 14 milers 4 times a week round the Westbury and bratton hills before my bike accident... 6 months and still struggling to get my distance and speed back :-(
    Hizzy, Just take it easy - There is no rush, nor any goal to beat just your aim to gain your fitness slowly or you'll injure yourself. I'm only 18 and its taken my run coach and run partner as well as a 3 month injury period to really start thinking in reality about my training so take it easy - Before that it was all about how every run had to be a PB or I'd feel really unhappy and annoyed at myself.

Skinz are good - I use them more as just mess around legging for not so serious runs or sometimes to bed if my 2XU bits are in the wash and then use my 2XU Gear for the 'Real Training' I love them! Comfortable, keep my body temp almost perfect, you're running you'll always feel a bit hot, but better than cold and using energy to warm up!
    '12 NC700X

8. Re: Gym bunnies - good deal on.... 
    Thanks Ash, I know, it was nearly 3 months before I got running again, before I could lift a bloody kettle or pull a clutch in , it was quite a nasty spill ... and yes I know I have 20 years on you (mutters I'm still fitter now than when I was in my 20's and a beer guzzling , german bbq loving p!$$ head) I tend to wear the under armour bottoms in the winter months to keep the cold out , great under bike gear too but don't rate them for anything more than keeping muscles warm.

My runs have always been more distance rather than PB based to be fair Ash.... I pride myself on my fitness and was broken when I had my off, sods law just as I'd got myself to the best I'd been in ages too ! My next investment is getting some Nike Air Vomeros again, i was a bit skint at the start of the year so had to buy some cheaper Nike's , I tend to be a neutral runner even tho most squaddies run on the outside of their feet (it's how we are taught to walk and march messes up our gait) But I really want another pair of Vomero's ... I tend to wear them right out, my last 2 pair were far from what you'd call road legal had they been tyres!

You have to bear in mind what you and I call serious runs are about 10 miles apart and what I call a serious run is probably 10 miles again on the average punter on here's too .... I tried a bit of barefoot running the other week , just on a treadmill to start with to see what it was like as its supposed to be better for your knees, gave me a killer blister on my big toe tho I need feet like one of those africans who walks miles a day for water... leather soles !

Argh Aid, wtf have you started ?!?!?! Runners Corner not WB lol x I may have to drag you out in North Swindon when I finally get my partner Ash(lyn) out running too ! She needs to get her booty back in shape ... she's not happy having a 38 year old woman kicking her 25 year old ass when running

9. Re: Gym bunnies - good deal on.... 
    Wow Hizzy, sounds like you really were in the wars with this bike accident, but the most important thing is what you have done, got off your bum and back into the routine, having the patience to do so is an achievement on its own!

I'm not sure how much Nike Air Vomeros are but another neautral shoe to look at would be Saucony Trumph 8's (Current Model) or Saucony Triumph 9's that are available in January, quite pricey but long lasting and ever so comfortable.

I've always fancied running barefoot but never quite yet bothered to give it a go or get minimalistic running shoes, possibly one day! Serious can be anything I've just gone out this morning (0500 start time) for a steady 7 miler... for me that was a serious run as it was recovery but then tomorrow I may go and run 20 not thinking anything about it, each to their own

Always looking for people to go out and run with so give me a shout, would be great to run with some new people!
    '12 NC700X

10. Re: Gym bunnies - good deal on.... 
    As WBuilders says, food is best. Tastes better too.....

With I could run again.... really enjoyed it...
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"