Notices

Thread: Road Accidents

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: Road Accidents 
    I know people that will watch the bike racing on the telly on a sunny sunday afternoon, then go for a bike ride. I think that'll be between about 3 and 6 o'clock... :
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

2. Re: Road Accidents 
    No different to the Easter bank hol weekend each year (especially when Easter is early) - people unwrap their bikes from the winter hibernation and try to ride like they did 5 months ago before the winter break with no regard to cooler Tarmac and rusty riding skills
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

3. Re: Road Accidents 
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabz
    No different to the Easter bank hol weekend each year (especially when Easter is early) - people unwrap their bikes from the winter hibernation and try to ride like they did 5 months ago before the winter break with no regard to cooler Tarmac and rusty riding skills
    Far too true!!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

4. Re: Road Accidents 
    Quote Originally Posted by Maz
    Even though I have been riding since September. I have notices the amount of bikers who are dangers to us and themselves. When I am in the car and see a biker who is over taking on a corner or is doing 50 plus and not attempting to slow down coming to a round about because they think they can get through a gap makes me cringe...

I know riders who (obviously are 17) who think they rule the tarmac! Seriously drives me nuts watching act like idiots on bikes! Its them who are our future bikers! Seen one the other day riding like he was on a race track with track suit bottoms and a hoddie on. I just think one day you like look on how stupid you are when your involved in an accident....

ok rant over
    No rant there Maz. Good sense. Alas the "17" year old rider are usually older in my expierences.

The question I always come back to is, would you drive your car at 100mph weaving in and out of traffic, going into corners deliberalty fast??? in most cases the answer is no.... so why on a bike??
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

5. Re: Road Accidents 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista
    I pray you are never in the position of having a vehicle pull out in front of you as you may come to regret those words.
    I am not sure exactly which words you are referring to but the fact that "most accidents are avoidable by any party" is a quote from the police.
    You might have noticed they have stopped calling them accidents and started calling them collisions as they don't want to imply they are without cause.

I will regret not avoiding an accident if there was anything I could have done and that's why I spend a lot of time practicing and studying a well tried and tested systematic approach to motorcycle control. This doesn't mean I think I'm the bees knees in fact the more I learn the more I recognise my own short comings.

I am sorry your friend was injured in a collision that possibly was totally unavoidable.

However I believe you are doing a grave (and potentially life-threatening) dis service to others on here if you are suggesting that no-one put should any effort into trying to avoid an accident that is potentially avoidable by suggesting that they are all inevitable.

You surely MUST have seen people driving FAR too close together on the motorway so that they cannot possibly stop in the distance they can see to be clear.
    I would never be so bold as to say most accidents are avoidable. I agree that the upmost efforts must be taken to see and be seen, but it is very easy for the police and other orgoniseations to look back after the event and suggest that the accident was avoidable.

6. Re: Road Accidents 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Able
    Totally agree Maz. There is a certain proportion of riders who are no better than company car drivers. The most common bad riding faults are:-

1. Tailgating. Why? If you hang back you get a better view, and can make up a reasonable gap in no time when it actually comes time to over-take.
    2. Over-taking between on-coming traffic. Why? On most occasions, a safe over-take presents itself seconds later. If either the driver being over-taken, or the on-coming driver deviates their line, you're stuffed.
    3. High speed filtering. I have seen more accidents occur when a rider is filtering, than at any other time. When a bonnet appears between the line of traffic, you need time to react. Stick below 20mph.
    4. Too much speed in the wrong place. Normally because said rider is showing off. Which brings me on to probably my biggest irritation...
    >

Going to agree with all of this and most of what Ducatista said.

I had my off in April , it was UNAVOIDABLE.... it was that or go into oncoming traffic. Another bike broadside on in the road , feet down looking the opposite way who pulls into you in the last second into the path of your escape route is impossible to miss. Had I not had my wits about me, panicked or seized up I'd have gone straight through the centre of the guys bike probably killing both of us if not seriously injuring him, instead I saw my only possible escape route, braked as best as I could while making that evasive manouvre, sadly I still went through the front end of his bike.

The person in question got rider improvement training, even tho I was the injured party and not at fault , once I could put enough pressure on my left wrist and operate a clutch again (about 3 months down the line, the wrist is still down 20% on movement now) I got out and got another bike.

I then paid £1600 to do my CBT and DAS Instructor qualification , then my BMF Blue Riband Riding Qualification. While the Advanced Riding Course was brilliant and improved my cornering, progress etc, learning how to become a Riding Instructor was actually the thing that improved my all round observation as a biker....

It's not just yourself you are watching out for as an instructor, its the hazards in front of and beyond of your students who could be 200m plus away from you, constantly monitoring a huge bubble, hazards that may not effect you could have a huge impact on a baby biker fresh to the roads wobbling along on a 125, this really does test your wits, awareness and observations.

Like I said there are some situations that will be totally unavoidable but you should be able to have enough forewarning to make it as painless as possible or brace yourself for the inevitable.

Part D of the CBT talks about Defensive Riding.... Building up a picture of what is ahead of you, behind you, what could be around the next corner, using all of the senses excluding taste to help you on the road, most of us old and bolds do it without thinking I'd imagine, but you do see some kids and older types who look like all they remember is how to pin it and brake as hard as possible. Some people out there no matter what they drive or ride could do with going back to CBT Basics

7. Re: Road Accidents 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista

At weekends, there is more traffic on the road for more of the day....
    I think you'll find there's generally more traffic in the rush hour.

Exactly what I said. The rest of the day in the week it's quiet. Weekends are busy for more of the day as pepole are off work, going shopping, visiting family etc, and it's all day. Not just a few hours in the morning and evening. Besides, on the whole people who commute during rush hour, I would imagine, are more aware than those who just pop out for a sunday blast when the weather is nice! But that's just my assumption...

8. Re: Road Accidents 
    Diamond Member
    For the sake of the question I wish to pose I will use the Oxford dictionary’s 1st definition of “Accident.” “An unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally.” Unintentionally being the key word here.

Is it possible for the human mind to deliver 100 per cent concentration while executing any task or dealing with any situation or distraction for every waking hour for 365 days a year? If the answer is yes, how many people will go through their whole life without knocking over a cup of tea, tripping over a pavement, hit their thumb with a hammer, etc?

Just a personal opinion and not based on any factual evidence, but I don’t believe that all accidents are avoidable.

9. Re: Road Accidents 
    Diamond Member
    I have knocked over many a cup, tripped over many a time and hammered my thumb more times than I care to remember over the years. Could I have avoided each of these accidents? Yes, probably I think I could have, because I was careless and didn't take enough care over what I was doing or not concentrating at the job in hand. Will I knock over any more cups, trip or hit my hand with a hammer again? Of course I will. Same as I might have an accident on my bike at some point in the future because I take a calculated risk every time I get on a bike with the way I decide to ride it. I don't believe anyone has said all accidents can be avoided, just that our own actions play a part in how much risk we choose to take and therefore how many "accidents" we will have.

10. Re: Road Accidents 
    Diamond Member
    Graeme, I am curious as to why the police have dropped the word accident? And how do the police know that “most accidents are avoidable”? Of course I agree that we can all take precautionary measures to lower the risk of an accident in any situation. A road user who pulls out in front of another vehicle has in all probability done so unintentionally, so is it not therefore, fair to say that the accident occurred due to a lack of concentration?