Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Road Accidents 
    Platinum Member
    The BBC website is running an interesting blog on RTA's today
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16030644

The motorbike statistics are here
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15975564

Looks like it is safer to ride on a week day
    I wonder if the 21 percent we road deaths we account for is calculated on a per vehicle owned or miles traveled or some other data? That's the problem with statistics they only tell one side of a story.

2. Re: Road Accidents 
    Diamond Member
    I would assume it's safer to ride on a weekday... Provided you ride outside of commuting hours. At weekends, there is more traffic on the road for more of the day....

Not to mention the people that only get chance to drive/ride at weekends making the roads more dangerous...

3. Re: Road Accidents 
    Platinum Member
    err no...........it's safer not to be the type of rider that only goes out on summer weekends.

At weekends, there is more traffic on the road for more of the day....
    I think you'll find there's generally more traffic in the rush hour.

Not to mention the people that only get chance to drive/ride at weekends making the roads more dangerous...
    Ah right, I get it now, it's everyone else making it dangerous

Stop being daft
    it isn't the time of day or day of the week you go out or your age or your gender it's how you ride.

4. Re: Road Accidents 
    Platinum Member
    I wonder if the 21 percent we road deaths we account for is calculated on a per vehicle owned or miles traveled or some other data?
    I think it means that 21% of all the deaths were motorcyclists, simply as that.

5. Re: Road Accidents 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista
    err no...........it's safer not to be the type of rider that only goes out on summer weekends.

At weekends, there is more traffic on the road for more of the day....
    I think you'll find there's generally more traffic in the rush hour.

Ah right, I get it now, it's everyone else making it dangerous

Stop being daft
    it isn't the time of day or day of the week you go out or your age or your gender it's how you ride.

+1 to that! 8-)
    '12 NC700X

6. Re: Road Accidents 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista
    it's how you ride[/i].
    How would you put that into a statistic?
    100% of people who ride dangerously are dangerous?

We are complicated creatures and are very much affected by weather, time and a mirriad of other things.
    The more people you interact with on the road the likelyhood of you having an accident increases. It might not be your fault but you are more likely to eventually meet someone who isn't as careful as you because: They're tired, late, don't do mornings, don't do evenings, don't like bad weather, don't like hot weather, [s]they're female[/s] : or any other number of reasons why some people crash.

7. Re: Road Accidents 
    Diamond Member
    There are no easy answers to preventing all RTA’s – if there was there wouldn’t be any.

You can be the safest and most competent rider in the world but, you can’t always avoid a vehicle pulling out in to your path. Sadly, how many times have we heard, “I never saw him/her?”

8. Re: Road Accidents 
    Platinum Member
    It's still safer than horse riding :-)
    www.shinybikesyndrome.co.uk - Protection through innovation

9. Re: Road Accidents 
    Platinum Member
    How would you put that into a statistic?
    I'm not saying you can put that into a statistic, but I'm sure we have seen and know driver/riders who are nutters/suicidal and others who go to great lengths to invest in their own safety.

they're female Roll Eyes
    Well you're treading on dangerous ground there
    and of course factually incorrect - which I realise is why you crossed it through

We are complicated creatures and are very much affected by weather, time and a mirriad of other things.
    The more people you interact with on the road the likelyhood of you having an accident increases. It might not be your fault but you are more likely to eventually meet someone who isn't as careful as you because: They're tired, late, don't do mornings, don't do evenings, don't like bad weather, don't like hot weather, they're female Roll Eyes or any other number of reasons why some people crash.
    I totally agree there are a myriad of factors.
    But to pretend that if you stop riding at 2:55 and avoid the 3-6 weekend slot, then you'll be much safer is ridiculous.
    The reason why there is a dangerous slot at this time is beacuse all the nutters go out at this time on summer weekends not because of anything to do with where the big hand or the little hand are pointing.

Yes, there are a myriad of factors but you can do something about most of them and you can avoid most problems created by others.

10. Re: Road Accidents 
    Platinum Member
    but, you can’t always avoid a vehicle pulling out in to your path
    Ken, there is a lot you can do.
    I'd claim that you can make sure that you are in the correct position (for avoidance, view and being seem), responsive gear, speed etc. most of the time if you took a systematic approach to hazard avoidance.
    According to the police most accidents can be avoided by any party.