Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Able
Totally agree Maz. There is a certain proportion of riders who are no better than company car drivers. The most common bad riding faults are:-

1. Tailgating. Why? If you hang back you get a better view, and can make up a reasonable gap in no time when it actually comes time to over-take.
2. Over-taking between on-coming traffic. Why? On most occasions, a safe over-take presents itself seconds later. If either the driver being over-taken, or the on-coming driver deviates their line, you're stuffed.
3. High speed filtering. I have seen more accidents occur when a rider is filtering, than at any other time. When a bonnet appears between the line of traffic, you need time to react. Stick below 20mph.
4. Too much speed in the wrong place. Normally because said rider is showing off. Which brings me on to probably my biggest irritation...
>

Going to agree with all of this and most of what Ducatista said.

I had my off in April , it was UNAVOIDABLE.... it was that or go into oncoming traffic. Another bike broadside on in the road , feet down looking the opposite way who pulls into you in the last second into the path of your escape route is impossible to miss. Had I not had my wits about me, panicked or seized up I'd have gone straight through the centre of the guys bike probably killing both of us if not seriously injuring him, instead I saw my only possible escape route, braked as best as I could while making that evasive manouvre, sadly I still went through the front end of his bike.

The person in question got rider improvement training, even tho I was the injured party and not at fault , once I could put enough pressure on my left wrist and operate a clutch again (about 3 months down the line, the wrist is still down 20% on movement now) I got out and got another bike.

I then paid ÂŁ1600 to do my CBT and DAS Instructor qualification , then my BMF Blue Riband Riding Qualification. While the Advanced Riding Course was brilliant and improved my cornering, progress etc, learning how to become a Riding Instructor was actually the thing that improved my all round observation as a biker....

It's not just yourself you are watching out for as an instructor, its the hazards in front of and beyond of your students who could be 200m plus away from you, constantly monitoring a huge bubble, hazards that may not effect you could have a huge impact on a baby biker fresh to the roads wobbling along on a 125, this really does test your wits, awareness and observations.

Like I said there are some situations that will be totally unavoidable but you should be able to have enough forewarning to make it as painless as possible or brace yourself for the inevitable.

Part D of the CBT talks about Defensive Riding.... Building up a picture of what is ahead of you, behind you, what could be around the next corner, using all of the senses excluding taste to help you on the road, most of us old and bolds do it without thinking I'd imagine, but you do see some kids and older types who look like all they remember is how to pin it and brake as hard as possible. Some people out there no matter what they drive or ride could do with going back to CBT Basics