My wife and I visited my in-laws in Rhayadar (mid-Wales) on Boxing Day, travelling via the Severn Bridge in my small eco-friendly 1.25 cc diesel van, which is my only mode of transport excluding my bike of course. To my disbelief, the extortionate cost of the toll amounted to £11.50 and is set to rise again this Sunday (see below).

I for one will not be using the bridge again when visiting the in-laws in my van, taking the alternative route via Ross-on-Wye and Hereford. This route is about 23 miles longer and adds approximately 25-30 minutes to the journey time. It’s not so much about saving £9 – I just hate the feeling of being ripped off. I just wonder how many other road users avoid the bridge due to the cost of the toll?

Small goods vehicles and small buses will pay £12.10, a 60p increase, and heavy goods vehicles and buses will fork out £18.10, an increase of 90p.
Campaigners calling for the abolition of the toll have described the new prices as a "bitter pill to swallow" for motorists – who have already been hit by rising fuel prices.
Severn River Crossing (SRC), which operates the two bridges, confirmed the new prices would come into effect on New Year's Day.

Ps Would have taken the bike, but my wife will not ride pillion, unfortunately.

Happy New Year all