Notices

Thread: Customer service

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Customer service 
    Just been to Sainsburys in Chippenham.

As I was walking past the deli a member of staff, walking straight towards me, barged into me. That was bad enough. He then compounded the problem by shouting over his shoulder "sorry Mate"

When I'm a customer I expect to be treated as such. I don't expect to be called Sir or get the red carpet treatment but I do expect a certain level of respect.

I'm tired of being called mate, pal, buddy, cheif or boss. Unfortunately it seems to be on the increase. I wouldn't dream of speaking to my customers like that and I find it incredibly unprofessional.

It seems like customer service is on the decline. Anyone else think this or am I just turning into a miserable sod?

2. Re: Customer service 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan

As I was walking past the deli a member of staff, walking straight towards me, barged into me. That was bad enough. He then compounded the problem by shouting over his shoulder "sorry Mate"

When I'm a customer I expect to be treated as such. I don't expect to be called Sir or get the red carpet treatment but I do expect a certain level of respect.

I'm tired of being called mate, pal, buddy, cheif or boss. Unfortunately it seems to be on the increase. I wouldn't dream of speaking to my customers like that and I find it incredibly unprofessional.

It seems like customer service is on the decline. Anyone else think this or am I just turning into a miserable sod?
    You're turning into a miserable sod ;D Join the club ;D

3. Re: Customer service 
    I don't like being called dear or love, I am not a dear or a love, at least, not to the person who's calling me it, do these endearances excuse bad behavior?! And, yes, I'm probably a miserable old git too!
    It's all about the ride!

4. Re: Customer service 
    Diamond Member
    They're just terms of endearment. Generally in life, I have more to worry about than whether someone has innocently called me mate, or bud, or hun.

But not everyone is as relaxed as I am about it. I once had a bloke threaten me in a bar for calling him mate, when I was working behind it! Out of probably 200 people I had said it to that night, only 1 took offence. Almost everyone else called it me back.

If he'd called you a c**t then I could understand your issue. But mate? Nah - you're just miserable! ;D ;D ;D :P

Besides, if he'd not said anything after the sorry, it could well have been misconstrued as sarcasm (which is why we follow it up with something endearing). You don;t want to be called sir, or m'lord, so that pretty much only leaves mate or dude as a bloke. Unless you would have preferred sweetheart???? :-*

5. Re: Customer service 
    I guess I'd rather he say "sorry mate" than just offer me some typical dead eyed customer service textbook apology, at least it offers some hope that he was actually sorry.

Although actually I'd rather that he just look where he's going in the first place ;D

6. Re: Customer service 
    Platinum Member
    Shop at Morrisons, you'll be too busy laughing at all the staff in their wigs to care if any of them curtsey...

7. Re: Customer service 
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan

Miserable Sod. Matey Boy ;D

Only joking I know exactly what you mean. We get the same in Tesco's in Trowbridge. Managers stand there and look at you as if you are dirt and still dont move out of your way.

8. Re: Customer service 
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed_Fly
    They're just terms of endearment. Generally in life, I have more to worry about than whether someone has innocently called me mate, or bud, or hun.

But not everyone is as relaxed as I am about it. I once had a bloke threaten me in a bar for calling him mate, when I was working behind it! Out of probably 200 people I had said it to that night, only 1 took offence. Almost everyone else called it me back.

If he'd called you a c**t then I could understand your issue. But mate? Nah - you're just miserable! ;D ;D ;D :P

Besides, if he'd not said anything after the sorry, it could well have been misconstrued as sarcasm (which is why we follow it up with something endearing). You don;t want to be called sir, or m'lord, so that pretty much only leaves mate or dude as a bloke. Unless you would have preferred sweetheart???? :-*
    No. Calling someone mate if they're not your mate is not a term of endearment. It's a generic term used by people who are not interested in the person they're talking to. He may as well have said "sorry, but I really couldn't give a damn"
    Tone and body language play a massive part. Sorry and eye contact would be more than sufficient. Shouting "sorry mate" as he's walking away isn't.

We might not like it, but the customer IS king. They pay our wages, keep food on the table and and a roof over our heads so they deserve respect.

9. Re: Customer service 
    I tend not to get narky at bad attidude from shop staff. I just tend not to back to that shop!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

10. Re: Customer service 
    Diamond Member
    It was probably an accident - oops can I say that :P

I think I must be a stud cos most of the ladies at the checkout in Asda ask me, "Would you like help with packing my Lover?" :-* ;D

Call me what you like but not when Man u's on the box. ;D