Notices

Thread: Swindon Park Run

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: Swindon Park Run 
    I was wrong - just checked and my fastest 10k time is 56 mins :P 2 mins makes all the difference lol.

Do you use runkeeper or anything? I use the Nike+ GPS app on my phone to keep a record of my runs and the best feature is challenge yourself - I do the same route and it compares with the last run as I go, telling me at each km marker whether I'm faster/slower etc. If you're used to a treadmill spouting all sorts of facts and figures about pace, distance, incline etc then it's worth using a similar app.
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

2. Re: Swindon Park Run 
    Dabz the beauty of running is being able to swtich off and leave the gadgets behind A pair of trainers and some comfy running gear, get a rough distance and just go until your legs get tired , thats another thing I hated about treadmills, telling me how fast (or slow ) I'm going, time left, time ran, distance ran etc... I find it nice just to get out, get a sweat on , do my distance and enjoy the run I guess it's hard for some people to leave the inner geek at home , even when running x :P

3. Re: Swindon Park Run 
    Diamond Member
    Annoyingly, I bought Nike+ trainers, only to find out they don't do the app for android phones (cue the 'iphones are better' comments!)!

But I will prob get the wristband version which is slightly better anyway as it has a heart monitor. I did download the GPS version of the adidas equivalent though - MiFit

4. Re: Swindon Park Run 
    I've notched up 704km in total on my Nike+ now - the geekiness appeals to my nerd-brain :P
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

5. Re: Swindon Park Run 
    Diamond Member
    It's just a good way of keeping a record. If you don't know what you've done, how do you know if you're improving?

I tend to keep a little log book of my weights for the gym as well so I know where exactly what I did last time, and where/when improvement is happening. My squats were near impossible at 60kgs when I started doing them about 4 months ago, but by adding little and often, amd recording it, I've can now deep squat a set of 85kgs. Still not a lot by most peoples standards but it's a big improvement for me.

6. Re: Swindon Park Run 
    Diamond Member
    I guess we all have our own ways at telling how well we are doing at exercise. It all depends what you're trying to achieve - weight loss, muscle growth, endurance etc etc. I find my clothes fit well or badly according to how well I'm doing so never bother with any real geeky stuff. I do know however, what my reps/weights/speeds are so I know roughly where I should be. My pool record is 126 length's (25m) in 55 minutes but am at present at 104 due to Christmas and being a bit lazy at present Plus I'm a bit older than you youngsters ;D

7. Re: Swindon Park Run 
    Diamond Member
    A bit? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

*ducks the punches*

8. Re: Swindon Park Run 
    Diamond Member
    A punch from me would be way over your head..... no need to duck ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

9. Re: Swindon Park Run 
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed_Fly
    It's just a good way of keeping a record. If you don't know what you've done, how do you know if you're improving?

Generally by how quick I recover, how far I've gone, by the length of the strides I'm taking, where I slow down and if I continue to go slow or speed up in those areas, knowing that fitness will peak and trough on a daily / weekly basis depending on what fluids and food I've had along with rest.

Good food makes you perform better than if you've had junk food and even covering short distances like 4-5 miles you can see and feel it when you're out running.

Also knowing that I have enough fuel left in reserve to do an extra half mile / couple of miles or a longer sprint / faster paced run towards the end lets me know that I'm improving too. The human body has evolved for centuries without gadgets. Just been reading up on the benefits of barefoot running (or at least using minimalist trainers) how its how we are supposed to run, mid sole instead of heal striking which trainers encourage, the top athletes are all raving about it (anyone under 30 hear of Zola Budd?) Seriously thinking about investing in a pair of Vibram trainers right now, anything that minimises injury and improves performance would be great

Considering I'm 38 and looked at as an old git by soldier standards (3 years off being a pensioner Snowy , closer to mine than you are in your 50's ) I need all the help I can get !

10. Re: Swindon Park Run 
    Diamond Member
    The vibrams are SOOOOO cool! one of the gym trainers has a pair and they look awsome. Are you getting the 5 finger ones?