Notices

Thread: Swindon Park Run

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Swindon Park Run 
    Diamond Member
    I'm doing the London 10k run in July as a fundraiser for The Bike Experience.

Starting this weekend, I'm going to be doing the Swindon 5k each week as well as my normal training. For those looking at the Royal Marines Race, it may also be useful. One of the guys at my gym recommended it to me. You just enter, and they send you a barcode by email that you take along, and hand in at the end to get your times.

Register online at http://www.parkrun.org.uk/swindon/home and let me know if you're planning on coming along as it would be nice to have someone else there that I know!

I can currently do 5k in 36mins on the treadmill, so hoping I can get that down to 25 mins over the next couple of months. I've been advised that, although road running is physically more demanding, because of the scenery changes, and the fact you run in groups, it's often easier to go quicker and more enjoyable. I hope that's true!

2. Re: Swindon Park Run 
    I find road running far easier than treadmill - I stuck to the treadmill for the first year that I started running because I was apprehensive about running on the road...now I detest treadmill running.
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

3. Re: Swindon Park Run 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabz
    I find road running far easier than treadmill - I stuck to the treadmill for the first year that I started running because I was apprehensive about running on the road...now I detest treadmill running.
    That's exactly what I've been told. But I wanted to get my base fitness up first, so that I didn't run 5kms from the house, then get stuck as I was too unfit to get home!

Currently doing 7.5 in an hour, but my goal will be to do the 10k in an hour. As a reference point, my friend can do a half marathon in 2 hours, so there is LOTS of room for improvement! He tried getting me to sign up for a half marathon in March. It took me a while to get up from laughing so hard!

4. Re: Swindon Park Run 
    Have never managed to get the hang of treadmills..... always seem to end up in the handle or on the floor!!!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

5. Re: Swindon Park Run 
    I have a nice 5k route around trowbridge, mixture of hills and flats. My best 10km time is 58mins and have never managed to get faster than that...and probably never will now since the 'great tendon injury of Christmas 2009". The 5k is about the most I can do now, and even then I'm in pain from 4km onwards :/
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

6. Re: Swindon Park Run 
    If you add an incline on the treadmill it simulates road running a bit better so when you go out on tarmac it's less of a shock to the muscles. Smear some dog sh*t on it too for that real authentic road running experience.

7. Re: Swindon Park Run 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    Smear some dog sh*t on it too for that real authentic road running experience.
    This is fitness first - I'm sure there's probably already sh1t on there! ;D

How much of an incline would you recommend. I normally vary between 1.5 & 3 depending on how energetic I'm feeling. Is that sufficient?

8. Re: Swindon Park Run 
    I normally go for 1.5 or 2.

Best of luck with it. Make us proud! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

9. Re: Swindon Park Run 
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    If you add an incline on the treadmill it simulates road running a bit better so when you go out on tarmac it's less of a shock to the muscles. Smear some dog sh*t on it too for that real authentic road running experience.

Since my off I've been a treatmill mong and hate it , back out on the roads running and I'd almost forgotten how different it is ... Changes in gradient dropping up and down kerbs, the wind, rain, differing heat affecting how you run too, wind direction and strength play a huge part as does the temperature, its far from the controlled environment of the gym with its heating / aircon in the dry with a plasma screen in front of you .

Aid, find a good road route with varying terrain and cambers to get up and down, the hills will make a hell of a difference to your recovery too..

But most of all, good luck buddy x

10. Re: Swindon Park Run 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeTriple
    [quote author=dan_geoghegan link=1326113062/5#5 date=1326119549]If you add an incline on the treadmill it simulates road running a bit better so when you go out on tarmac it's less of a shock to the muscles. Smear some dog sh*t on it too for that real authentic road running experience.

Since my off I've been a treatmill mong and hate it , back out on the roads running and I'd almost forgotten how different it is ... Changes in gradient dropping up and down kerbs, the wind, rain, differing heat affecting how you run too, wind direction and strength play a huge part as does the temperature, its far from the controlled environment of the gym with its heating / aircon in the dry with a plasma screen in front of you .

Aid, find a good road route with varying terrain and cambers to get up and down, the hills will make a hell of a difference to your recovery too..

But most of all, good luck buddy x [/quote]

Completely agree with the above. I'm not a natural runner being the size I am but find the problem with treadmills is it's too easy to stop if you feel tired or under motivated. At least outside if you run 2 miles from home, there's a greater motivation to run back. On a treadmill, the "STOP" button is just too easy. Outside (when it's lighter) I will try and push myself uphill and then take it easier on the way down to try and get some breath back.