I appreciate that Thursday’s Scottish election may not be a hot topic on WBs, but as the Scottish National Party’s (SNP) victory was so overwhelming, I wondered if it could signal the beginning of the end of the UK in its current form. And of course, should the SNP secure a yes vote for independence in a referendum pledged in this term, this would have far reaching implications for England.

I find it ironic that the late Donald Dewar, in his wisdom facilitated a referendum in 1997 on a devolved parliament in Scotland to appease the nationalists, in the hope that the SNP would never be able to form a majority government. Last Thursday’s historic result is the first time that the Scottish electorate have returned a party to Holyrood with a majority since the inception of the parliament in 1999. The SNP’s number of seats rose by 23 to 69 with a 12.5% increase in votes.

I am not surprised that the SNP are so popular in Scotland. Despite the current economic climate, as a minority government during the previous term they introduced free prescriptions, maintained free personal care for the elderly and a freeze on student tuition fees.

PS. I did enjoy watching Nick Clegg squirm – payback time me thinks.