Notices

Thread: Break-up of the UK?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: Break-up of the UK? 
    VOTE HUNAR!
    Don't get confused between my personality and my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are...

2. Re: Break-up of the UK? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Col
    Had a quick look http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publicati.../06/22160331/0 and even with allocating geographic revenue share of oil the Jocks would be in deficit by £3 billion their report concludes. It is possible for them to massively reduce defence spend to offset lost U.K. finance contribution.

A total of about £55 billion is the revenue in 2009 but there is a decline in recent years. Oil price increase does equate to quite a dramatic revenue rise and this offsets on land revenue reduction.

Expenditure/head looks to be about 11.5% higher than U.K. average and this would have to be reduced.

In conclusion without North Sea revenue the Jocks will be fooooookin skint ;D and would be another future bail out bandit for the EU.

Problem with Salmond is he cannot see this although he has achieved much in his role as Premier Big Gob....where's all the pies weee Alex :-*

Is the pub open ????? ;D
    Col, although the devolved government in Holyrood has the power to prioritise spending it is in effect administrators of the ‘Block grant’ allocated by the treasury at Westminster. The Scottish government has to manage the economy at present within the restraints of the devolved agreement. If Scotland broke free from the shackles of Westminster it is unlikely that the independent government would adopt right wing fiscal policies similar to that of the current UK government. The taxation system etc etc would probably change (for better or worse?) and therefore it is wrong to assume that growth, investment etc (increase or reduce?) would remain the same as it is now.

I know it’s completely different circumstances, but before apartheid was abolished in South Africa, the white rulers of the day peddled the same economic scaremongering. I personally believe that the battle for Scottish independence will be won or lost first and foremost on ideological grounds and not on the economic arguments.

As a matter of interest, of the 69 Scottish constituencies represented at Westminster, Labour occupy 41 seats and the Tories 1. No wonder Labour are ‘Quaking in their boots’ at this historic SNP result. In electoral terms they have a lot to lose, but in contrast, the Tories would be the big winners if independence came to fruition.

Hopefully see you Wednesday night as long as Alex Salmond aint ate all dem lovely burgers.
    ;D

3. Re: Break-up of the UK? 
    Yeah absolutely Redken they would be free to do whatever they wanted fiscally and yes it would be an ideological wish first and foremost.

I'm not 100% certain about independence but doesn't it have to receive Royal approval and agreement from a majority of Commonwealth countries before it can be granted.

Couldn't get away from work in time Weds ....maternity duties
    I need amusement in my sad life and it looks, very much, like you fit this requirement admirably..............begin the amusement!!!!!

4. Re: Break-up of the UK? 
    I say drag the military back over the boarder, let them have independence, then before they can build a Scottish defence force, invade, take over, and declare it England, then we just have to sort those pesky Welsh out.

Win!

5. Re: Break-up of the UK? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noisy_lightning
    I say drag the military back over the boarder, let them have independence, then before they can build a Scottish defence force, invade, take over, and declare it England, then we just have to sort those pesky Welsh out.

Win!

Dave, Ingerlan would need to resurrect “Dad’s Army” because all the troops are on foreign crusades in all the occupied lands. :P

6. Re: Break-up of the UK? 
    Platinum Member
    Let's not forget, it's the British Army :

7. Re: Break-up of the UK? 
    Diamond Member
    No offence intended Mitch - was just responding to Dave's post with a light hearted tongue in cheek comment.

8. Re: Break-up of the UK? 
    Platinum Member
    Lol, non taken here Ken. Reminds me of the time i was on DF ex in Wales. Driving through one estate, we got bricks thrown at the landrovers, and shouts of 'get out english' etc
    Funny, the lad sat beside me was Welsh!!

9. Re: Break-up of the UK? 
    Diamond Member
    Looks like Scotland’s First Minister Alex Salmond and Prime Minister David Cameron have drawn up the ‘Battle Lines’ for Scotland’s future.

It is the former and not the later that has a mandate in Scotland, therefore, I doubt that Salmond will be bullied into holding a referendum before his preferred proposed time of autumn 2014. Whenever it happens, it will be the Scottish people who will decide their own destiny and not Salmond or Cameron.

10. Re: Break-up of the UK? 
    This would be the break up of the British Armed Forces. There are 1000's of scots serving this nation and not just in the Scottish regiments, they like everyone else are intergrated into every arm and sector of our Armed Forces, you could not strip them out without severe disruption. Would you force them to leave? They have signed up to serve a country already, would they remain in the British Army and serve as Commonwealth Servicemen and Women like so many of the African and Fijians do? If that is the case , where would our northern neighbours find their own armed forces from? Reservist? Tennants guzzling street fighters? The Lairds of old who formed their armies are long consigned to the history books.

And do British Passports change too ? I would hold dual nationality as my Dad is a porridge muncher from Glasgow. It would cause a hell of a lot of trouble, I guess we would have to look at how countries like Czechoslovakia did it when it split up . It sounds expensive tho