Notices

Thread: Break-up of the UK?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Break-up of the UK? 
    Diamond Member
    I appreciate that Thursday’s Scottish election may not be a hot topic on WBs, but as the Scottish National Party’s (SNP) victory was so overwhelming, I wondered if it could signal the beginning of the end of the UK in its current form. And of course, should the SNP secure a yes vote for independence in a referendum pledged in this term, this would have far reaching implications for England.

I find it ironic that the late Donald Dewar, in his wisdom facilitated a referendum in 1997 on a devolved parliament in Scotland to appease the nationalists, in the hope that the SNP would never be able to form a majority government. Last Thursday’s historic result is the first time that the Scottish electorate have returned a party to Holyrood with a majority since the inception of the parliament in 1999. The SNP’s number of seats rose by 23 to 69 with a 12.5% increase in votes.

I am not surprised that the SNP are so popular in Scotland. Despite the current economic climate, as a minority government during the previous term they introduced free prescriptions, maintained free personal care for the elderly and a freeze on student tuition fees.

PS. I did enjoy watching Nick Clegg squirm – payback time me thinks.

2. Re: Break-up of the UK? 
    Platinum Member
    I don't think Scotland will vote yes just yet, they do not have the funds to fight the press campaigns that will be launched by the big party's and paper/media barons.

Also all the prominent/promising Scottish politicians have headed for Westminster. To me it serves the political party's right for ignoring regional areas in the UK.

Maybe someone with Scottish blood can shine more info on this?

3. Re: Break-up of the UK? 
    Diamond Member
    Full Scottish blood in my veins FJ. In typical Sun tradition, the second biggest selling paper always backs the party it senses will win in Scotland. Don’t think lack of cash for publicity for the yes campaign will be an issue, but I think you are right about the main UK parties - the Tories are a non-entity, but the big hitters of the other parties have concentrated their efforts at Westminster. Alex Salmond is a formidable politician who has enjoyed a free rein. I suspect that’s about to change in light of this amazing result.

4. Re: Break-up of the UK? 
    Scotland could never survive on it's own. If we were given independence it would mean Scotland becoming a third world country within 10 years.

There is no industry anymore (Thanks Maggie) and all the oil rights belong to foreign companies. Tourism is a huge industry yes but that is mainly for 3-4 months of the year.

Farming is highly subsidised from the UK government so that would also suffer.

The idea for a Scotsman is a dream come true but the reality is something unachievable in the present climate.

I left Scotland 15 years ago as I was going nowhere apart from probably a prison cell or worse. Friends that are still there are going nowhere as there are very few opportunities.

The Scotland we were brought up to believe in no longer exists.

The really sad part is that it is so much cheaper to live in Scotland than this area (or is that just the Scotsman in me? LOL)

Alba De Brah!

5. Re: Break-up of the UK? 
    Diamond Member
    What about the republic of England, Northen Ireland and Wales? Imagime Cameron on his quest to defeat the Scots - his flask would have gone cold long before he reached Derby. ;D

Very interesting times

6. Re: Break-up of the UK? 
    Platinum Member
    Scotland may have free prescriptions/more spend per head on education/free hospital parking/free edumacation(for the scots only, Englishers moving north are charged!)free elderly care etc etc they do this by prioritising their budget, however i'd be interested to know where the shortfall is to allow this, or are they going into defecit? Full independance i'm sure will be on the SNP's list of to do's, hopefully with the break up of the union we can kiss goodbye to those German/Greek spongers in Lahndun too!

7. Re: Break-up of the UK? 
    TBH I find it hard to covieve of the scots voting for independence.

Consider....

As it stands they have a higher spend per head than england, scot PM's can vote on english issues but not vice versa, politicians can blame westimnster for failings, but take the credit for the successes.

You will see a referendum, but only at the end of the term. If the SNP have any sense...
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

8. Re: Break-up of the UK? 
    Diamond Member
    If you are correct in your economic analysis Mitch, why is it that the three main unionist parties (Lib-Dems, Tories and Labour) blocked a referendum in the previous Scottish parliament session? That will not happen in this term because the Nats have a working majority to push a referendum through. Alex Salmond is a very shrewd politician and I’m sure he will carefully gauge the mood of the nation before setting a date. When the time does arrive, watch the so called political heavyweights from the unionist parties venture north of the border in their droves, to fight with vigour on the side of the no campaign.

We must not forget that the political landscape in Scotland is very different from that in England. Most of the marginal constituencies are fought to win the left of centre votes.

I accept that the 1 million (approx) Scots who voted SNP last Thursday are not all supporters of independence, but many are fed up of being ruled by a Tory government in Westminster which has no mandate in Scotland. Margaret Thatcher even had the audacity to introduce the unpopular ‘Poll Tax’ one year earlier in Scotland.
    Going back to the economic argument, I will not put you to sleep with statistics, but offer up one example. The SNP is committed to scrapping Trident and all nuclear weapons, which would save an independent Scotland £3 billion. At least now the people of Scotland will have the opportunity to decide their own destiny.

9. Re: Break-up of the UK? 
    Platinum Member
    Analysis? Not really, i'd just like to know where they get more money per head from? Or are the Scots deeply in defecit? Or are the English having the wool pulled over our eyes?

10. Re: Break-up of the UK? 
    Had a quick look http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publicati.../06/22160331/0 and even with allocating geographic revenue share of oil the Jocks would be in deficit by £3 billion their report concludes. It is possible for them to massively reduce defence spend to offset lost U.K. finance contribution.

A total of about £55 billion is the revenue in 2009 but there is a decline in recent years. Oil price increase does equate to quite a dramatic revenue rise and this offsets on land revenue reduction.

Expenditure/head looks to be about 11.5% higher than U.K. average and this would have to be reduced.

In conclusion without North Sea revenue the Jocks will be fooooookin skint ;D and would be another future bail out bandit for the EU.

Problem with Salmond is he cannot see this although he has achieved much in his role as Premier Big Gob....where's all the pies weee Alex :-*

Is the pub open ????? ;D

I need amusement in my sad life and it looks, very much, like you fit this requirement admirably..............begin the amusement!!!!!