Notices

Thread: Is it time for dog owners to take the lead?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Is it time for dog owners to take the lead? 
    Chatterbox
    There's been much study of the rabid and mange riddled beast we know as the dog and, almost without exception, the conclusion is that termination is the only feasible remedy.

By their very nature, a bloodthirsty, carnivorous intent, they are untreatable.

These werehounds don't have owners, get a grip,
    they have only feeders that provide them sustenance twixt hunts.

Everyone should pack a large shooter whenever you venture onto their hunting grounds.

Don't think, shoot.

[smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    Everything else is shyte

2. Re: Is it time for dog owners to take the lead? 
    Quote Originally Posted by kev
    There's been much study of the rabid and mange riddled beast we know as the dog and, almost without exception, the conclusion is that termination is the only feasible remedy.

By their very nature, a bloodthirsty, carnivorous intent, they are untreatable.

These werehounds don't have owners, get a grip,
    they have only feeders that provide them sustenance twixt hunts.

Everyone should pack a large shooter whenever you venture onto their hunting grounds.

Don't think, shoot.

[smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    ;D ;D ;D

Seems a fair assesment!!!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

3. Re: Is it time for dog owners to take the lead? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossio
    [quote author=dan_geoghegan link=1327263661/18#18 date=1327315348][quote author=Rossio link=1327263661/17#17 date=1327294175] in my experience if you use your dog for the purpose it is bred for you wont have to worry about being in public parks etc, a working dog is a happy dog. i must confess im not a believer in having a dog as a pet, like everything if it has no purpose why have it?
    Totally agree, but I should keep the lid handy for the can of worms you've just opened.
    [/quote]

I stand firmly by my statement so let the ridicule begin There are far too many dogs in rescue centres and being abandoned all of wich are because they are cute as puppies and when things go wrong they are expensive, Im not for a second saying that anybody's dog is not cared for properly but the only time i need to have my dogs in a public place is when we go to the vets (shooting season thats usually about 6 times) so never any problems[/quote]
    I stand firmly by my statement. I TOTALLY AGREE! It's only in the last few decades that we've let animals share our homes and in some cases treat them better than humans (you seem to like to argue. Even with someone who's agreeing with you)

4. Re: Is it time for dog owners to take the lead? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossio
    im not a believer in having a dog as a pet, like everything if it has no purpose why have it?
    Life would become a wee bit sad if everything HAD to have a purpose though

5. Re: Is it time for dog owners to take the lead? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikki
    [quote author=Rossio link=1327263661/17#17 date=1327294175] im not a believer in having a dog as a pet, like everything if it has no purpose why have it?
    Life would become a wee bit sad if everything HAD to have a purpose though
    [/quote]

Agreed - we would miss the first belly-button of Spring etc

G
    And before you pedants tell me the reason we have one (to gather fluff so I'm told) it was my little attempt to bring some much needed humour into the thread.
    If you want a serious post - The Dunlop Training Method had worked for falconers for many years and I firmly recommend it.

6. Re: Is it time for dog owners to take the lead? 
    Quote Originally Posted by monday21
    In the wake of this appalling attack there are repeated calls for new legislation for owners to keep all dogs on leads whilst walking in public areas.
    Answering as a dog lover, dog owner and mum of a young child (no intended order of preference there!) its very difficult to answer - what is a public place?

I wouldn't dream of letting my dogs run loose in a kids play area but I wouldn't take them there either but I certainly let them off the lead in open areas and fields etc.

One thing no ones mentioned is that some parents really need to educate kids not to go up to a strange dog and assume its friendly. My dogs have grown up with my daughter and I can trust them 99.99% not to hurt anyone but how does a stranger know that? It astounds me that so many children will often go to stroke them when parents are there without even asking if the dog is friendly.

7. Re: Is it time for dog owners to take the lead? 
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    [quote author=Rossio link=1327263661/19#19 date=1327318548][quote author=dan_geoghegan link=1327263661/18#18 date=1327315348][quote author=Rossio link=1327263661/17#17 date=1327294175] in my experience if you use your dog for the purpose it is bred for you wont have to worry about being in public parks etc, a working dog is a happy dog. i must confess im not a believer in having a dog as a pet, like everything if it has no purpose why have it?
    Totally agree, but I should keep the lid handy for the can of worms you've just opened.
    [/quote]

I stand firmly by my statement so let the ridicule begin There are far too many dogs in rescue centres and being abandoned all of wich are because they are cute as puppies and when things go wrong they are expensive, Im not for a second saying that anybody's dog is not cared for properly but the only time i need to have my dogs in a public place is when we go to the vets (shooting season thats usually about 6 times) so never any problems[/quote]
    I stand firmly by my statement. I TOTALLY AGREE! It's only in the last few decades that we've let animals share our homes and in some cases treat them better than humans (you seem to like to argue. Even with someone who's agreeing with you)[/quote]

i wasnt arguing with you i was only saying im ready for the ridicule,
    If there was tougher rules on owning a dog, even a simple question of "why do you need one" the majority of people would be refused ownership,no kids wold be getting mauled and there wouldnt be dog sh t when your walking to the shops,the rescue centres wouldnt be ramed to the rafters with strays and there would be no arguments because someones dog stole his picnic,

8. Re: Is it time for dog owners to take the lead? 
    Diamond Member
    If we were just talking about "need" as opposed to "want" then none of us would have children, PS3's or 40" Plasma telly's.

I have four kids and have also owned loads of animals including Lab and Retriever varients. I trusted these as much as I would trust any other type of breed. However, would I leave my kids alone in a room with them? No. Never. This is a parents view.

You cannot 100% trust any animal with your children even if you know them and brought them up from puppies. Most parents know this and take responsible precautions as should all dog owners do the same. Unfortunately there are those that don't on both side of that equation. That's when kids end up in hospital and dogs being put down.

We can preach all day on this forum about how good we are either as parents or dog owners but there are many out there that are'nt.

9. Re: Is it time for dog owners to take the lead? 
    Had a 2 blazing rows with dog walkers in Ashton Court.

The first one screamed "watch my dog" at me as I cyled past. Her dog was a good 100m away from her so I kindly explained that the dog was her responsibility, not mine.
    I'd say the blame was 65/35 in my favour as it was an open public park so I obviously should be careful about other people using it.

The second incident was absolutely mind boggling. I came barreling around a berm on the mountain bike course and came face to face with a jogger and her dog and narrowly avoided hitting it. The woman screamed and was clearly shaken up. I checked she was ok and apologised for frightening her then pointed out that she shouldn't be walking a dog here as it's a purpose built mountain bike course and could be dangerous.

The conversation that ensued puzzles me to this day.
    Dog Lady: So you want me to get hit by a golf ball do you?
    WB: Sorry?
    DL: You want me to get hit by a golf ball? That's what'll happen if I walk on the golf course.
    WB: Well no, but you're not allowed to walk a dog on a golf course either.
    DL: So where the hell am I supposed to walk my dog then?
    WB: I don't know and I don't care but you can't do it here, you'll get hurt.
    DL: Stupid boys and their toys!

She then vanished out of my life as quickly as she'd apeared. :'(

For those of you that don't know, Ashton court is set in 850 acres of land. You'd think that we could all use it without coming to blows :

10. Re: Is it time for dog owners to take the lead? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed_Fly
    [quote author=Tina link=1327263661/10#10 date=1327270125]Im very sorry but as a mother I would not be happy if I come across a dog roaming free where any children are likely to be...no matter how soppy or soft they are......Connor had a bad experience with a friends dog and I am extremely careful about him around any dog

If another child attacked him, and he was frightened to go near other kids, would you insist that all other children should be on leads as well?

Well behaved, well trained dogs have just as much right to be off the lead as well behaved children. That said, I still wouldn't take rolo into a playground. But not becasue I was worried he would attack. But if we go to the beach, or to the country park/woods etc, it would be cruel to keep him leashed.

I won't say too much more on the subject, as it can be a contentious one from a worried parents pint of view, especially one that's not a dog owner, but you have to keep personal feelings aside and look at the big picture when making judgements. It's only natural for you to feel how you do if Connor had a bad experience. But I could show you clips online of children almost beating each other to death for fun and videoing it. Look at the Bulger killers....[/quot

Look at the bigger picture ???

I grew up with dogs and loved them dearly. But I would not have one now as I could not commit to the time and effort it takes to care for one...it would be unfair with our work hours.

All dogs are different as are children (to use the Bulger case is a bit extreme to be honest) Connor has a friend with the most loveable lab in the world and he likes going to play at their house, he loves Archie, but he would be scared ****less seeing a loose dog bounding around in an area that is meant for families and children.

There are places to take dogs without leads, there are places to take children (without leads hehe).....keep them separate and theres no problem !!!