Notices

Thread: Is it time for dog owners to take the lead?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
  1. Is it time for dog owners to take the lead? 
    Diamond Member
    How often do we here this?

A 56-year-old man has been arrested after a dog bit off part of a six-year-old girl's ear in a park in Chingford Essex.
    The girl also suffered injuries to her neck and shoulder and has undergone plastic surgery at a hospital in Essex.

Det Sgt Stuart Cheek, of the Metropolitan police said, "This was an appalling incident that left a young child with serious injuries which are likely to scar her for life."
    Police added that the incident was "unprovoked.”

In the wake of this appalling attack there are repeated calls for new legislation for owners to keep all dogs on leads whilst walking in public areas.

2. Re: Is it time for dog owners to take the lead? 
    should it not be the owners that are kept on tight reins?
    it would be cages if i had my way.

3. Re: Is it time for dog owners to take the lead? 
    Diamond Member
    No such thing as bad dogs - just bad owners.

You can't keep dogs on leads, they need to be able to run and get exercise, just like the rest of us. That doesn't mean that certain breeds of dogs, or aggresive individuals of other breeds shouldn't be walked outside of 'normal hours' (ie early mornings/late nights), or with muzzles, but in the main, if well looked after, even pitt bulls and rotties make good pets.

Our dog (a soppy chocolate lab) wouldn't harm a fly, but I still wouldn't let him run around in a childrens play area. Sometimes accidents happen, and a playful nip can be a serious problem. Rolo has bitten me when playing tug of war. Completely accidental, but if that were a child, he wouldn't be given the chance to argue. We've spent many hours training him though, and he always comes back when called. Even to the point our neighbours sometimes take him out with their dogs so if they call Rolo, their dogs will follow him back! ;D

4. Re: Is it time for dog owners to take the lead? 
    i recently had a woman go ballistic at me becase my akita was roaming free in a dog park.

her words were THAT dog should be kept on a lead. i asked her to explain herself. she accused the breed of being a aggressive breed.

when i asked her to name the breed of my dog she called it a husky. so i corrected her and once again asked her to explain her reasoning behind her statement.

she shook her head picked up her rat of a dog and walked away, i called to her repeatedly to explain herself bust she just walked away. >

my akita has only ever defender herself......she has been attacked 3 times.....twice by a pack of 6 jack russels ( same woman both times she accused my dog of being aggressive) and a toy poodle.

5. Re: Is it time for dog owners to take the lead? 
    Diamond Member
    Jack Russells are among the most aggressive dog breeds around. The fact they are so small means that almost all of their attacks aren't reported as they do almost no damage.

Small dogs often have big attitudes!

6. Re: Is it time for dog owners to take the lead? 
    Diamond Member
    Does this look like the face of a killer?

7. Re: Is it time for dog owners to take the lead? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed_Fly
    Does this look like the face of a killer?

Aidan I had a black Lab and then a golden one, sadly both in Doggie heaven now. Both were clumbsy and soppy and would lick you to death.

8. Re: Is it time for dog owners to take the lead? 

killer dog

9. Re: Is it time for dog owners to take the lead? 
    I have the most sociable dog ever but never trust her around excitable children (and bicycles). At the end of the day every dog has survival and hunting instincts. However much we regard them as pets, these instincts are still there under the surface.
    As the pack leader, it's for the owner to take responsibility for their animal.

10. Re: Is it time for dog owners to take the lead? 
    Quote Originally Posted by amills
    I have the most sociable dog ever but never trust her around excitable children (and bicycles). At the end of the day every dog has survival and hunting instincts. However much we regard them as pets, these instincts are still there under the surface.
    As the pack leader, it's for the owner to take responsibility for their animal.

totally agree sky just likes to say hi to everyone but she is a little big and a little too fast sometimes