Notices

Thread: Is it time to bring them home?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: Is it time to bring them home? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny
    [quote author=Squashed_Fly link=1331234376/6#6 date=1331285627] At least they died doing what they loved - serving their country.
    I don't think they are serving their country. Afghanistan is no threat to us. [/quote]

Sounds like a debate, where I would normally put something that may would be torn apart, that Snowy and Scotty would put something contradictory and blunt, Witshire builders would ask if it was SF hunting season yet, Jon W would keep the peace, and Redken would find a reason to mention the government... [this section of my post is meant to be taken in good humour]

Am I game? You bet your ass!

Of course they are serving their country - regardless of the cause/reason/effect, they still work for our government and are serving the country. Your opinion on whether we should be there or not, doesn't really change that.... They are army boys through and through, and wther the war is ethical or not, they are out there because they believe that whatever the army tells them is best, is what they should do.

And they are proud to serve. let's not take that away from them...

2. Re: Is it time to bring them home? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed_Fly
    [quote author=Swanny link=1331234376/9#9 date=1331310003][quote author=Squashed_Fly link=1331234376/6#6 date=1331285627] At least they died doing what they loved - serving their country.
    I don't think they are serving their country. Afghanistan is no threat to us. [/quote]

Sounds like a debate, where I would normally put something that may would be torn apart, that Snowy and Scotty would put something contradictory and blunt, Witshire builders would ask if it was SF hunting season yet, Jon W would keep the peace, and Redken would find a reason to mention the government... [this section of my post is meant to be taken in good humour]

Am I game? You bet your ass!

Of course they are serving their country - regardless of the cause/reason/effect, they still work for our government and are serving the country. Your opinion on whether we should be there or not, doesn't really change that.... They are army boys through and through, and wther the war is ethical or not, they are out there because they believe that whatever the army tells them is best, is what they should do.

And they are proud to serve. let's not take that away from them...[/quote]

Usually happy to pull you apart anytime if I'm bored SF, but not on this occasion as it's a serious discussion thread and should be kept as such :-X

3. Re: Is it time to bring them home? 
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme

Usually happy to pull you apart anytime if I'm bored SF, but not on this occasion as it's a serious discussion thread and should be kept as such :-X
    we're all entitled to our own opinions and the right to air them as and when we like......but who won us that right, the right to freedom and the right to speak english and not sprechen sie deutsch.... i agree with the above posts with the exception of FB's :-?
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

4. Re: Is it time to bring them home? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by porkies
    [quote author=BMWGraeme link=1331234376/11#11 date=1331317560
    Usually happy to pull you apart anytime if I'm bored SF, but not on this occasion as it's a serious discussion thread and should be kept as such :-X[/quote]

we're all entitled to our own opinions and the right to air them as and when we like......but who won us that right, the right to freedom and the right to speak english and not sprechen sie deutsch.... i agree with the above posts with the exception of FB's :-?[/quote]

Agreed...not a subject to be flippant about. Had about 30 of the injured in for rehab today - I'm amazed at how cheerful they are all things considered.

5. Re: Is it time to bring them home? 
    Stuff the politics.......6 of our own have died !!

They joined up, they went to do what they were told to do, they died doing it

Like them and many before them and Im sure there will be more, they died doing their job.

I thank them and every other member of the armed forces for doing what they do. And I will bring my son up knowing that the armed forces are there to protect whatever they are told to protect

R.I.P to the 6....so young but each one of them died a hero in my eyes.....thoughts to their families and friends

6. Re: Is it time to bring them home? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Tina

Like them and many before them and Im sure there will be more, they died doing their job.

I thank them and every other member of the armed forces for doing what they do. And I will bring my son up knowing that the armed forces are there to protect whatever they are told to protect

R.I.P to the 6....so young but each one of them died a hero in my eyes.....thoughts to their families and friends

Second everything you have said.

7. Re: Is it time to bring them home? 
    Diamond Member
    I make no apologies for discussing the politics and the government’s role in the conflict in Afghanistan for two simple and obvious reasons. Firstly, it was a government (previous) decision to deploy our troops in the country and the government will decide ultimately, when to bring them home. Secondly, in our democracy our politicians are merely representatives of the people and as such are accountable to us.

The latest poll I could find on the conflict was conducted in October 2011 by Pew Global Attitudes Project.

United Kingdom: “57% want all of their soldiers brought home immediately. 71% think the war is unwinnable, an increase of 11% from June, and 60% said the war was not worth the deaths of British soldiers. 62% disagree that having British military forces makes Britain a safer place and 58% say their country's military intervention actually increases the likelihood of a terrorist attack at home.”

Because I agree with all of the above and fully support our troops, I personally believe that they should be withdrawn from Afghanistan immediately.

8. Re: Is it time to bring them home? 
    Quote Originally Posted by cornishbob
    surely thats what they get paid for no?
    you work in macdonalds you get paid to wash lettuce
    you join the army you dont expect to wash lettuce
    Some what disrespectful!!!!!!!

9. Re: Is it time to bring them home? 

finally a bit of sense, never mean to drone on but things like this matter to me
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

10. Re: Is it time to bring them home? 

Tina, couldn't have put it better. You echo my sentiments and thoughs.