Notices

Thread: Mobile speed traps

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Mobile speed traps 
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed_Fly
    Newsflash: no plate on the front, but they have a picture of you in your leathers speeding from the front. A quick glance at your plate as you go past gives them enough info to pnc you. Now they have the power to enter your home and take your bike and leathers as evidence if they feel they have a good id and you don't play ball. ....
    With all due respect, you are talking rubbish.

There are basically three occasions when the police can enter your home and seize evidence. Firstly where a warrant has been issued by a magistrate, secondly either a section 32 PACE or Section 18 PACE search, which can only be conducted after a person has been arrested for an either way offence, i.e. an offence that could be tried in a crown court. Speeding is a summary only offence, therefore a warrant would not be irelevant, nor would you be able to do a section 32 or 18 search, especially as you wouldn't be under arrest either so the power to enter a premises does not exist.

If the police have captured/noted the registration plate, then a form would be sent to the registered keeper requesting details of the name and address of the driver/rider at the time of the specific offence. At the same time a notice of intended prosecution would be sent (this has to be sent within 14 days).

There are occasion where the police have entered a home to seize motorcycles/leathers/evidence but these would be for much more serious offences, i.e. dangerous driving etc etc.

2. Re: Mobile speed traps 
    SF talking rubbish... never! lol ;D ;D
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'

3. Re: Mobile speed traps 
    Just opened the mail and found a brown envelope - my hear sank...

Thought that was bleedin quick...

Turns out it was just my European health card for my tour in summer.

hahaha

4. Re: Mobile speed traps 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaDog
    [quote author=Squashed_Fly link=1330446561/13#13 date=1330511473]Newsflash: no plate on the front, but they have a picture of you in your leathers speeding from the front. A quick glance at your plate as you go past gives them enough info to pnc you. Now they have the power to enter your home and take your bike and leathers as evidence if they feel they have a good id and you don't play ball. ....
    With all due respect, you are talking rubbish.

There are basically three occasions when the police can enter your home and seize evidence. Firstly where a warrant has been issued by a magistrate[/quote]

I'm aware of your job, but I'm pretty sure, it's not beyond the wit of a police office to gain a warrant to search for evidence in a crime, if they have a picture of the defendant, and have a plate ID with his address? Obviously they can't 'just enter', but if they get a warrant then they can?

There was a huge article in the bike press about this a couple of years ago, with succesful convictions being obtained for a number of riders who had 'colourful' leather, as the bikers in question had refused to admit it was them riding and accept the points/fine.

I'm on way out in a minute, but I'll see if I can find the article online later on...

5. Re: Mobile speed traps 
    Diamond Member
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wa...1466-30431809/

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne..._/R-EPI-117975

These 2 are stories I could find quickly. doesn't necessily prove my point, but it doesn;t take a genius to work out that if they want you, and you've been a nuisance, and they think that by getting a warrant and IDing your bike/leathers, then they will do.

Of course this isn't likely to happen for doing 34 in a 30, but it doesn't mean it can't.... If you've been gobby with them, and they want to make a point, then there's every chance they can. In one of those stories, they not only came to the house, but also went to the lengths of investigating his ebay account!

6. Re: Mobile speed traps 
    Diamond Member
    Dear DaytonaDog, just a quick question related to the above.

Is “being a know-it-all” an arrestable offence, and does it give the police the powers to enter your home, take you away (careful on those stairs sir) and lock you (SF) up for good, if so I may be going to turn into a Supergrass

G

7. Re: Mobile speed traps 
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    [quote author=Jon_W link=1330446561/14#14 date=1330512610] Agreed about the Batheaston Bypass..... is a pain in the ar5e!
    The number you used in arse is not the regulation font and the straight bit isn't straight enough. 3 points and £60 fine i'm afraid ;D[/quote]

That's a pre 2001 5, is in a sans serif font and at the correct spacing....

;D :P
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

8. Re: Mobile speed traps 
    I think I was caught on one on the way home from work last night. They were in an area that you would not expect, 5 to 6 hundred yards of a roundabout. In an area that I have never seen an accident or heard of one and I travel up the same bit of road every day.

9. Re: Mobile speed traps 
    Check the road accident statistics for the areas you think you have been caught and have a little read up on the rules and regs of positioning of speed cameras.

I thought mobile or static cameras could only be positioned on raods that have been 'accident black spots' (something to do with cameras only being there to improve raod safety). Well surely if there has not been an accident or an accident proven to be not related to speed ie driving without due care and attention etc then there isnt justification for having a camera there to improve safety? Especially when they have been there since day one of the road opening 'cough batheaston bypass cough' :-? Makes sense to me. Does any one else know?

10. Re: Mobile speed traps 
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosbie
    Check the road accident statistics for the areas you think you have been caught and have a little read up on the rules and regs of positioning of speed cameras.

I thought mobile or static cameras could only be positioned on raods that have been 'accident black spots' (something to do with cameras only being there to improve raod safety). Well surely if there has not been an accident or an accident proven to be not related to speed ie driving without due care and attention etc then there isnt justification for having a camera there to improve safety? Especially when they have been there since day one of the road opening 'cough batheaston bypass cough' :-? Makes sense to me. Does any one else know?
    I thought the same as you.