Notices

Thread: Mobile speed traps

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. Mobile speed traps 
    Hi Guys,

Just a thought...

Can a mobile speed trap clock a bike if the bike is travelling towards the camera seeing as there in no front facing number plate?

I wasn't massively over, think between 5 and 10 mph over the 50 limit on the Batheaston bypass :-/

There was traffic in the inside lane and I was going to go for the overtake.

2. Re: Mobile speed traps 
    Platinum Member
    Well logic should tell you that by and large there is no way to identify a bike from the front.

If you were 5-10 over on you're speedo I wouldn't worry too much.
    Most of them over read.

3. Re: Mobile speed traps 
    Was this monday morning? I saw that b'stard on my way home around 7 ish. You should be fine also keep in mind that your speedo is out by around 10% and they give you a 10% grace too.

2 gatsos and a mobile van on a duel carriage way with a central barrier and no fatalities in the 15 years it's been there. :-?

4. Re: Mobile speed traps 
    You should be fine mate, cant identify you from the front anyway, and the legal bit is 10% +2 applied to all limits

5. Re: Mobile speed traps 
    Your stuffed mate!! Now I have your details I can inform the law enforcer ;D.............................and pigs might fly!! I think you will definitely be ok so don't worry bout it!

6. Re: Mobile speed traps 
    They're always on the Batheaston bypass (twats). As commented earlier, 'tis a dual carriageway, with a central reservation, no serious hazards, and no serious accidents. PIGGY BANK... >
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

7. Re: Mobile speed traps 
    Quote Originally Posted by Andybusa
    Your stuffed mate!! Now I have your details I can inform the law enforcer ;D.............................and pigs might fly!! I think you will definitely be ok so don't worry bout it!
    Good one

You should be o/k.

8. Re: Mobile speed traps 
    Sorry to dissapoint but you can be done by a camera van in such circumstances as I was on the Frome Bypass. Not quite sure how they do it but it can be done.

9. Re: Mobile speed traps 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Able
    They're always on the Batheaston bypass (twats). As commented earlier, 'tis a dual carriageway, with a central reservation, no serious hazards, and no serious accidents. PIGGY BANK... >
    This really cheeses me off. I saw that van parked facing Bathford, in the layby opposite the gatso.
    It's a dual carriageway with a central reservation and the speed limit is 50mph.
    Usually the speed limit for a dual carriageway with a central reservation is (so you taught me Mark!!) 70mph.
    Anyone following a lorry or slow moving vehicle, wishing to overtake it before the hill leading up to the motorway is stuffed, if the lorry is doing 50mph.
    IMHO, this mobile camera isn't about safety, it's about revenue raising. (allegedly!! lol.. )
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'

10. Re: Mobile speed traps 
    Active Member Thorkill_The_Tall's Avatar
    Wiltshire police allow + 10% and another 2mph before they bother to give you a ticket. Anything under 57 in a 50 and you should be ok.
    However, this 10% + 2 is not written in stone and is not universally observed by all U.K police forces.
    Batheaston by-pass is under the control of Avon & Somerset police, who might not necessarily allow the extra leaway.